How strong is "strong enough" for you???

Rippetoe never said do not do conditioning ever. He said to do conditioning when it is appropriate.

Now that adequate bandwidth has been restored, here's a shocking statement that applies to all novice lifters, as well as the vast majority of all trainees: training specifically for conditioning without a well-developed strength base is a waste of time.

There's simply no better way to increase your work capacity than increasing your ability to produce force. If your primary interest is being more effective at moving yourself and/or submaximal or maximal loads more efficiently, training for strength contributes much more to your goal than training for endurance.

Later on in the article he makes it clear he is talking about all athletes, not just lifters.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/conditioning-is-a-sham

Later on in the article he makes it clear he is talking about all athletes, not just lifters.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/conditioning-is-a-sham

This may surprise some of you who think that all people must do conditioning to be fit. And I agree that past a certain point in the development of strength, some Prowler work on a regular basis is beneficial, but remember, we're talking about novices, people with no strength base, and for whom a strength base improves all aspects of performance.

think you misread this part

Well I think we all know that. What you think = what Rippetoe says. Period.

And for the most part why the hell would I not listen to Rippetoe or his Coaches vs some Joe blow on the internet....you know a guy that has made it his life to make novices stronger and pass on information given to him by his mentors to his other Coaches

the common theme around his website and himself is to get strong and play your sport and supplement with conditioning where necessary....why people try to make it more complex than that makes me<45>

And for the most part why the hell would I not listen to Rippetoe or his Coaches vs some Joe blow on the internet....you know a guy that has made it his life to make novices stronger and pass on information given to him by his mentors to his other Coaches
You're really hard headed some of the time. I don't mean that as an insult, just an observation.

i recall the time verbatim when i corrected myself later in the post when the statement was to get a point across

Next goal is breaking a 1100 lbs total. Got a ways to go still, but I should be able to hit that before I run out of noob gains.
Coming off two years+ of back and shoulder issues, so taking things pretty slow still.

Lol sorry, OP. You being all busted up doesn't change the fact that the question is still absurd.

Sure, I might have a limit, but it's a long way off.

Lifting is my sport. I'll continue to improve and get stronger until I've exhausted all the options and can't anymore.

We're just cut from a different cloth, brah. You're soft.

Just going to show your inconsistency. At first its an absurb question. Then you agree with me that its not. That everyone has a limit, even you. So if it exists, I think its worth discussing.The OP is trying to get insight on everyone elses to make help make a decision for himself. The correct anwser for anyone who lifts leisurely in regards to a limit. When you stop enjoying it, or it stops being beneficial to your life. Both are closely tied together.

Also, your a such a small petty man. You think I'm soft because you can pick more weight up off the floor? There are men (and woman) that can't deadlift 135 that would work you and me both into the ground in every other facet of life. The fact that you still think the world revolves around how much weight you can lift is sad. You keep clinging to that as your confidence crutch. I'll focus on the more important things in life.

I'm pretty sure if someone can't deadlift 135 I could take em'. If you can't deadlift 135 lbs, you're either like I was; sick and emaciated from an eating disorder and could barely lift a finger, or you likely have other physical or mental challenges making you unable to defend yourself. Or you're 5.

I'm pretty sure if someone can't deadlift 135 I could take em'. If you can't deadlift 135 lbs, you're either like I was; sick and emaciated from an eating disorder and could barely lift a finger, or you likely have other physical or mental challenges making you unable to defend yourself. Or you're 5.

Or....and this is just thinking outside the box....It doesn't interest them and their focus they time elsewhere?

The point is to try and measure the character and grit of a person solely by lifting weights is idiotic.

Kyle must be pulley on my leg.

Or....and this is just thinking outside the box....It doesn't interest them and their focus they time elsewhere?

The point is to try and measure the character and grit of a person solely by lifting weights is idiotic.

I measure character mostly on how they approach whatever it is they're doing and how they treat others. If I am involved I can add how they treat me.

I'm almost certain there aren't many able bodied men out there who you feel could take you or anyone in this sub forum on that cannot lift 135 lbs off the floor. And, scene!

Kyle, it's time for you to drop your grudges and be either a positive influence here, funny, or quiet. You're just becoming pollution at this point. Is that what you want? Turn the corner and help yourself and others out. Some gentle ribbing is just fine, but following people around harassing them? Posters who do that don't last long.

I measure character mostly on how they approach whatever it is they're doing and how they treat others. If I am involved I can add how they treat me.

I agree.

I'm almost certain there aren't many able bodied men out there who you feel could take you or anyone in this sub forum on that cannot lift 135 lbs off the floor. And, scene!

I agree, if your talking about physical prowess. However its completely irrelevant to the point.

Kyle, it's time for you to drop your grudges and be either a positive influence here, funny, or quiet. You're just becoming pollution at this point. Is that what you want? Turn the corner and help yourself and others out. Some gentle ribbing is just fine, but following people around harassing them? Posters who do that don't last long.

The irony thats said to me. I did post something to help the TS. I gave him an answer. I just wanted to point out Jim was wrong in saying it was an absurd question. I'll continue to post here regardless of your opinion. I'm by far more positive and helpful then the majority of the posters here. That will only give advice with a cancerous dose of disdain and disrespect thrown in.

Sorry about that....here is their sitdown though and where he discusses it

I was able to skim through most of this and watched the part in particular. He brings up a quote when Hamman said the guys beating him were just stronger and displayed a lot of strength in the backroom. A lot of the interview is leading up to that as he's trying to find out what type of training Hamman was doing at that level. Hamman makes it clear that a lot of heavy squatting was going on at the training center, including maxing out. Hamman says guys were squatting and getting stronger there, but he slacked off because he thought he was strong enough and needed to focus more on learning the lifts since he started late on them.

This leads into where Rippetoe talks about deadlifts and lack of them in a lot of programs. He brings up Kendrick Farris having a strong deadlift and his coach being one of the few that train it. I think Rippetoe was really hoping Hamman didn't bring up all of the squatting, so he just started obsessing on deadlift at that point. Overall though, I don't think anyone can disagree with the point that being stronger obviously helps at the oly lifts. He mentioned cleaning something like 220kg is going to be a lot harder if your deadlift is only 230 kg vs. something like 260 kg.

I really don't think most coaches ignore that either though. I know I've seen a few videos where they talk about this. Specifically, I know I've seen it in Cal Strength where he was talking about a lifter who is really efficient and the oly #'s being very high in relation to something like their max squat and front squat. That is definitely something that can happen to people learning oly lifts early without much of strength base. But from what I've seen in most oly training videos, they are training squats, clean pulls, etc. to get stronger.

The bottom line will always come down to the lack of interest from an early age in America, lack of funding, USADA, smaller pool of athletes, etc. If you have an oly lifter learning technique from an early age, at that point, they can put a lot more time into getting strong as well. Their technique isn't just going to go away. In general, I think American lifters are playing catchup.

Back