How strong is "strong enough" for you???

The irony thats said to me. I did post something to help the TS. I gave him an answer. I just wanted to point out Jim was wrong in saying it was an absurd question. I'll continue to post here regardless of your opinion. I'm by far more positive and helpful then the majority of the posters here. That will only give advice with a cancerous dose of disdain and disrespect thrown in.

It's a social convention, a male approach to new members of a group. Likely evolved to weed out weak links in groups that depend on each other for survival.

You are tested to see how resilient you are, whether you're emotionally smart enough to become someone to rely upon.

We deal in hard truths here. We worship iron that never lies but are assailed by posers and charlatans at every side.

It's best not to challenge a group should you wish to be accepted by them, not immediately. You have to prove your worth first.

Your attitude has certainly been helpful in my ruminations on such matters, I hope it may serve you as well.

It's a social convention, a male approach to new members of a group. Likely evolved to weed out weak links in groups that depend on each other for survival.

You are tested to see how resilient you are, whether you're emotionally smart enough to become someone to rely upon.

We deal in hard truths here. We worship iron that never lies but are assailed by posers and charlatans at every side.

It's best not to challenge a group should you wish to be accepted by them, not immediately. You have to prove your worth first.

Your attitude has certainly been helpful in my ruminations on such matters, I hope it may serve you as well.

I agree with some of this. Although challenging a new member =/= excuse to act out and look down on them. Its why this forum hasn't grown in over a decade.

As far as wanting to be accepted lol. I could give two fucks. I don't want to be accepted by your little click because I think your stubborn, condescending, and close minded people. Id be ashamed to be part of your "group".

At this point I'm just here to kill time and maybe help some people in the process.

don't want to be accepted by your little click because I think your stubborn, condescending, and close minded people.

People who mis-spell "clique" as "click" aren't even allowed to *apply* to my group.

I agree with some of this. Although challenging a new member =/= excuse to act out and look down on them. Its why this forum hasn't grown in over a decade.

As far as wanting to be accepted lol. I could give two fucks. I don't want to be accepted by your little click because I think your stubborn, condescending, and close minded people. Id be ashamed to be part of your "group".

At this point I'm just here to kill time and maybe help some people in the process.

*you're* and *clique*.

Hey man, you're as much part of the group as I am, natural born outsider right here.

There's a high bar here, I find it refreshing, but hey, experiences vary.

Best thread in a while though.

I spent this morning mapping out all my workout numbers (sets/reps/weights) I need to hit to make my goals. PL meet is second week of June, I have just over 19 weeks. My path is set.

As for goals right now it is:
  • 500 deadlift
  • 405 squat
  • 315 bench
  • 205 OHP
Realistically I could hit the deadlift within a couple of weeks probably. If I am lucky maybe the squat by the end of the year. I seem to suck at bench even though I have a decent OHP. Should be able to hit 190 on press, maybe 195 right now so it might be possible by the end of the year as well. Probably should just bench more. All this is at a bw of about 175.

The only reason I ever learned how to lift was 100% because of this forum.

You're just a bitch.

You also definitely don't know enough about anything to help anyone.

This may surprise some of you who think that all people must do conditioning to be fit. And I agree that past a certain point in the development of strength, some Prowler work on a regular basis is beneficial, but remember, we're talking about novices, people with no strength base, and for whom a strength base improves all aspects of performance.

think you misread this part
Neglecting condictioning and building strength wont improve aerobic performance. Don't be daft. Also the Prowler wont be nearly enough if you want to improve your aerobic conditioning.

Neglecting condictioning and building strength wont improve aerobic performance. Don't be daft. Also the Prowler wont be nearly enough if you want to improve your conditioning.

You are missing the entire point of the article. His point is to build a strength base first for the general population as this is the most important adaptation to everything in daily life quality for all the reasons he gave in the article.

Either you are trying to sell something or you just havent thought about this.

Now if you have other athletic goals like a marathon, basketball, mma etc you obviously must condition for it and the program for strength must be tailored to allow for this. Tailoring the program is not the optimal rate to gain the most useful adaptation someone will have.

While there's a lot of truth to what you are saying, there's also the flip side of the coin. Conformity.

There's a lot of circle jerking going around on here and some people have a hard time making up their own minds. That's why this cascade of insults happens often, in part. Doesn't just happen here, but everywhere. It's a coping mechanism and it makes sense. We are afterall social creatures, but imo conforming without daring to speak up, or question, is just as much a sign of weakness.

You are missing the entire point of the article. His point is to build a strength base first for the general population as this is the most important adaptation to everything in daily life quality for all the reasons he gave in the article.
That's a very debatable OPINION, one that has to be viewed in context. I'd argue that respiratory fitness is more important for health, taken into consideration the leading causes of early death with heart disease at the number one spot. Sure, if we're talking the elderly population, sarcopenia and atrophy dictates that strength training is very important, but the general population needs to be more active, do more LISS and move more.

Last edited:
The only reason I ever learned how to lift was 100% because of this forum.

You're just a bitch.

The stickies are great. The information is great. The communities general shit attitude and reluctance to at least try something out of the box before shitting all over it is terrible. Titans invite is still open Jim ;)

You also definitely don't know enough about anything to help anyone.

This could only apply to someone who is a severely mentally handicapped. Even then they would probably be able to give at least some decent advice to a fellow mentally handicapped person.

And considering you agreed with me earlier in this thread about limits. If I don't know enough to give advice, neither do you.

That's a very debatable OPINION, one that has to be viewed in context. I'd argue that respiratory fitness is more important for health, taken into consideration the leading causes of early death with heart disease at the number one spot. Sure, if we're talking the elderly population, sarcopenia and atrophy dictates that strength training is very important, but the general population needs to be more active, do more LISS and move more.

Havent done cardio in months yet my daily tasks are much easier being stronger. Doing cardio never helped me rake leaves, pick up sticks, mow the yard, do the laundry, clean toilets. Just doing daily tasks and walking here and there is all the cardio necessary for a reasonable quality of life. liSS is not necessary one bit even lifting weights isnt necessary one bit. The point is that lifting will make everything you interact with in daily life easier.

People that die of heart disease well there is normally a predisposed genetic condition via family history that effects a large amount of people and all the cardio in the world will not fix it.

Havent done cardio in months yet my daily tasks are much easier being stronger. Doing cardio never helped me rake leaves, pick up sticks, mow the yard, do the laundry, clean toilets. Just doing daily tasks and walking here and there is all the cardio necessary for a reasonable quality of life. liSS is not necessary one bit even lifting weights isnt necessary one bit. The point is that lifting will make everything you interact with in daily life easier.
My dad nearly outworks me doing gardening, yard work and carpenting and my mom can clean for hours on end at which point I'm exhausted. I'm several times stronger than they are. Anecdotal, same as your example, but it doesn't make any sense. It's all about efficiency of movement in certain task and doing them well. I worked as a garbage man for a few years and there was no real correlation between who was stronger in the gym and who was the most efficient worker. Sure if you want to move heavy shit, you get the strongest guys, but how applicable is that on the day to day basis?

Look at the rates of obesity and as I said, leading causes of death. Strength training is important, but I'd still argue that respiratory fitness is more important for overall quality of life. The adaptions of lifting heavy barbells is not the same as doing aerobic exercise.

This is not the correcr thinking either. Strength is a general adaptation brought about by general exercise movements and that general strength is applied to the various tasks and jobs. He uses bailing hay as his example. Apply it to garbage man or mailman etc. its not about moving heavy shit like a powerlifter would it is about building a strength base to apply to life. From there you can pick out the reason you want to apply this strength base to whether that be just maintaining strength as a stay at home parent or a worlds strongest man competitor. For someone lazy that lays around all day and plays video games the fitness brought about from just lifting is enough cardio to remain semi physically fit.

People that die of heart disease well there is normally a predisposed genetic condition via family history that effects a large amount of people and all the cardio in the world will not fix it.
That's simply not true: https://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Heal...cal-Activity-in-Adults_UCM_307976_Article.jsp

Cardiovascular disease like heart disease, strokes and diabetes are all linked to a few factors, primarily something called metabolic syndrome. Metabolic syndrome is a combination of high bloodpressure, insulin resistance, high bloodsugar, abdominal fat and high LDL cholesterole. All this creates ateroschlerosis which is basicly a hardening of the artieries and forming of plaque (blood clots). Aneurysms can happen, blood clots can form and travel to the coronar arteries causing myocardial infarct (lack of blood to the heart muscle and subsequently neocrosis or death of cells). Most heart diseases starts as something called angina pectoris, either stable or unstable, which is because of clogged arteries. Blood clots can also travel to the brain and cause strokes and such. I wont go too far into it, but aerobic fitness is important in that regard. There's too major reason why aerobic exercise is preferable, most of the time, over HIT or heavy lifting for cardiovascular health. One is blood pressure.

High blood pressure over time harms the arteries and the endothel cells they are made of, making blood clots easier to form. Blood pressure: BP = Q x PR, meaning volume of blood pr minute (Q) and the resistance in the arteries (PR). High blood pressure increases the plaque in the arteries over time, increasing the blood pressure even more. HIT training and heavy lifting increases blood pressure. Aerobic conditioning lowers it, not only temporary, but also because of this second and important adaption. Hypertrophy of the heart.

There's two primary forms of hypertrophy of the heart. One is that the left ventricle walls thicken and becomes better at forcefully pumping blood out. This happens more with high blood pressure, meaning HIT and heavy lifting. This improves the hearts ability to pump blood out with greater pressure, but in turn the ventricle (the lower heart chamber) has less space in which to fill the heart with blood and less time to do so. This results in a heart that has to work more and harder to pump equal volume, and in turn, a heart that is working overtime.

The second form is the expansion of the left ventricle. This happens more with aerobic training, as the heart is filled properly with blood each time and with less pressure, and adapts to filling more efficiently. Aerobic training also increases the percentage of blood plasma, vs bloodcells, and therefor the resistence of the arteries is less, hence lower bloodpressure. This is the foundation of endurance.

This post is already long enough, but now you understand some of the very basic physiological differences. It's not black and white, but being active for longer periods of time is important for health.

Last edited:
http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condi...ase-Stroke_UCM_442849_Article.jsp#mainContent

Your article doesnt amuse me one bit. Family history is huuuugggeee factor in determining if you will get CVD. If you are lifting weights you are being active. If you walk a few minutes a day you are being active. If you are jogging 45 minutes a day while doing a novice LP you will not make the same progress that you would if you werent. Progress on the most important quality to have in common life as per Rips article

Back