How strong is "strong enough" for you???

The fact that the rapid gains normally last a few months at most and people will substitue with cardio instead is laughable to me.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condi...ase-Stroke_UCM_442849_Article.jsp#mainContent

Your article doesnt amuse me one bit. Family history is huuuugggeee factor in determining if you will get CVD. If you are lifting weights you are being active. If you walk a few minutes a day you are being active. If you are jogging 45 minutes a day while doing a novice LP you will not make the same progress that you would if you werent. Progress on the most important quality to have in common life as per Rips article
Damn you are daft. Obvously genetic dispositions are at play as with most all diseases, but that doesn't mean that the preventive measures aren't the same. This is from the article you posted:

"If I have a family history, what can I do about it?
That means lowering your risk by changing behaviors that can increase your chances of getting heart disease or stroke. “It’s good, healthy living – the more that can be ingrained in your family, the more impact it has,” Dr. Kraus said. “A patient should encourage better eating habits, physical activity and eliminating smoking.
”"

And no, sitting on your ass and then lifting weights is not the same as doing aerobic conditioning and the adaptions of the cardiovascular system is very different, as I just explained. This is from the American heart association:

"To improve overall cardiovascular health, we suggest at least 150 minutes per week of moderate exercise or 75 minutes per week of vigorous exercise (or a combination of moderate and vigorous activity). Thirty minutes a day, five times a week is an easy goal to remember.

For people who would benefit from lowering their blood pressure or cholesterol, we recommend 40 minutes of aerobic exercise of moderate to vigorous intensity three to four times a week to lower the risk for heart attack and stroke
."

I'm a physio student, we've had our cardiovascular and pathology curriculum with doctors and med students, using the same material. You're the kind of idiot who would argue with a heart doctor citing Rippetoe.

Lol you are a physio student rehashing bullshit that your university taught you with their blanket reccomendations for a "higher quality of life"

Stronger is better 10 out of 10 times and i dont need a rocket science degree to figure out this simple concept. It really isnt anything a breaking that rippetoe has pointed this out.

But hey if 45 minutes of cardio is more important to you then go ahead be my guest but dont come on here pretending that you and your university have this all figured out that cardio is more important than being strong. When you are in the nursing home and cant get off the toilet from a lack of strength maybe by then you will
figure out this basic concept. At least you will be able to say to yourself that you accomplished jogging 45 minutes a day.

We arent even talking people with disease or people that NEED to lower blood pressure. We are talking generally healthy people and the optimal way to improve strength in the most efficient way possible for carrying a hose, delivering mail, moving furniture etc.

Lol you are a physio student rehashing bullshit that your university taught you with their blanket reccomendations for a "higher quality of life"

Stronger is better 10 out of 10 times and i dont need a rocket science degree to figure out this simple concept. It really isnt anything a breaking that rippetoe has pointed this out.

But hey if 45 minutes of cardio is more important to you then go ahead be my guest but dont come on here pretending that you and your university have this all figured out that cardio is more important than being strong. When you are in the nursing home and cant get off the toilet from a lack of strength maybe by then you will
figure out this basic concept. At least you will be able to say to yourself that you accomplished johging 45 minutes a day.

It's not. But I'll tell you one thing, though. As a lifter and a smoker who suffers from high blood pressure now and then, doing a moderate amount of cardio 3-4 times a week has kept me from getting a full blown hypertension.

No history of heart problem in my family.

figure out this basic concept. At least you will be able to say to yourself that you accomplished johging 45 minutes a day.
Now we're back to the start of the argument. What's more important is often times up to the individual interpretation, or what demographic context you look at it in. However, it's not debatable which adaptions does what. That's science and physiology.

We're talking all kinds of people, some have disease, some don't, some are young, some are old. You claim that strength is the most important factor, ie lifting heavy, for everything in life. I say that's an opinion. As I just explained to you, aerobic exercises is important for cardiovascular health, also in the already healthy as a preventative. Cardiovascular health which is important for living a healthy and long life. So in the context of the major causes of death, one could argue that aerobic conditioning is more important.

When we are talking about the elderly, strength training is arguably more important, exactly because of sarcopenia, which I already stated. Not to mention the reduced risk of falls and breaks, which in many cases is a death sentence at an advanced age.

I would never have someone do just aerobic exercise, and not strength training. And vice versa. Unlike you I'm not an idiot who follows a dogma to the extreme.

you missed the part where rippetoe and even myself never said to NEVER do conditioning

For general health, why even talk about strength vs. cardio? Wouldn't most just recommend GPP. Mix in some training with resistance, aerobic, anaerobic, flexibility, etc.

For general health, why even talk about strength vs. cardio? Wouldn't most just recommend GPP. Mix in some training with resistance, aerobic, anaerobic, flexibility, etc.
True. I still believe that anerobic exercise is less important for general health, but definitely important for performance. I think we just got into a debate with single minded attributes, but as I said, I would never have someone do only one thing. Mobility and flexibility exercises are definitely valuable assets too.

i will tell you why....when you squat....it acts as a stretch as well.....this is often seen with people who cant squat to depth for whatever reason where you would have them squat as deep as they can and slowly progress to full squats......when you squat you also must exhibit balance which carries over to every day tasks

not against flexibility training but really if you can do the exercises in the proper range of motion that means you are flexible enough for every day tasks...if you are a BJJ athlete than yes flexibility takes a greater priority

and yes GPP is what Rippetoe recommends doing after at least the beginning stages of a linear progression....prowler, sled, exercise bike etc can all take care of this in an efficient manner without slowing down your rate of strength gain.....jogging and lsd will in fact blunt strength gains but if your goal is to focus on conditioning for a period that is a sacrifice you must make...a sacrifice that you make after initial strength acquistion

People that die of heart disease well there is normally a predisposed genetic condition via family history that effects a large amount of people and all the cardio in the world will not fix it.

meh, not in all cases..

Back