How much running should I do?

It is way too much, but its how they've been training. to me 10km is essentially starting marathon distance, my thoughts on hearing that is why do that? I'm training for a fight, not a marathon, yeah may help, but 3 x 2min is a completely different ball park than 10km. Everytime you question them, you get back: "but the Thais do it".

I do well with 5km, once in a blue moon I end up hitting 6. The whole point of S&C is to supplement your skillwork, no point if its pulling you out and injuring you.

I find running to be the best as well, and outdoors at that. I'm able to work my heart and legs equally, compared to cycling where my legs burn out before I get the same amount of work done on my heartrate. Treadmill for me is too inaccurate, especially my gauge is by distance not speed.

Unfortunately when winter strolls down the block I have to use other methods, I usually end up skipping. I'm thinking of trying out swimming as its easier on the joints, and fun + a chance to mack Boise dimes at the right pool. I remember one time in Feb 2 years ago when it was -30 Celsius and dumbass me decided it was fine to still run. No problem, I have clothing and gear that'll keep me warm, and I warm up along the way.
Woke up at 5:30 AM, and literally 5 steps into the run I nearly KO myself slipping on black ice, then it was "NOPE".
Damn -30 is harsh, where do you live?

Haha figures. One of the places colder than up north here in Scandinavia! Man Canada has some insanely cold places. How's the summers?

Haha figures. One of the places colder than up north here in Scandinavia! Man Canada has some insanely cold places. How's the summers?
Grappling sucks in the winter. I remember at the gym's old location, we left the windows open to ventilate.... and it happened in the winter as well. After a good sweat after some good rounds, we're freezing.

We got scammed this year, got a long winter and a month for summer.

Summers are usually alright, averages at 20-28 degrees.

We've been getting a case of bi-polar weather though. Heavy rain for 10 min, then bright sunshine. Repeat.

Its like mother nature's running a HIIT routine or something.

Grappling sucks in the winter. I remember at the gym's old location, we left the windows open to ventilate.... and it happened in the winter as well. After a good sweat after some good rounds, we're freezing.

We've been getting a case of bi-polar weather though. Heavy rain for 10 min, then bright sunshine. Repeat.

Ya, I'm up here in Canada too. WInter is coming.

Ya, I'm up here in Canada too. WInter is coming.
Lol at the HIT routine, Danish weather is exactly like that. Pretty cold winters, decent summer most of the time, but it changes from one day to the next. This summer in particular was pretty bad and it's getting cold quick here as well.

Sounds pretty crazy ventilating like that. Ha, I remember one winter a few years back as a broke student I didn't have enough money to pay for the heat so I slept in several layers of jackets and there was literally ice on the inside on the windows. Man, what was I thinking.

Man, what was I thinking.

Thats what I thought when I tried to make weight by jacking off, for my first exibition. I had 2lbs left to go.

Well, I have bad news. Coach pulled me from the fight. Between bruised ribs, a broken toe, and I'm sick on top of it and won't be able to train with the guys for at least a week or so.... He told me to just get on the next one when I'm feeling better.

Upside is I have a few more months to work conditioning.
What kind of piece of shit comes to a packed movie theater on opening night by himself and sick as a dog? The guy was sitting next to me and was coughing and snorting the whole movie away. Now I'm sick today. My toe break was recent but seemed to have healed, my ribs are still bruised but whatever, but being sick means I can't train with the guys for who knows how long and the fight is too close.

Fuck my luck

Have you ever tried swimming sprints? Because I found that helped me quite a bit.

I haven't tried swimming sprints - definitely might look into that. Swimming is also excellent.

I pretty much cycle regularly nowadays (and love it) and I can say 100% I've felt huge improvements in stamina & general leg strength.

I use to run regularly in the past but don't anymore. For me running put a lot of strain on my knees and I felt wear/tear & would get shin splits every now & then, especially because I live in a pretty urban area and have to jog on concrete. There are parks close by but they aren't open early in the mornings (usually the time I do cardio work).

Fucking is easier on the knees as well... most of the time that is

happy-gif-56b472ee7a1fa.gif

Everybody is different.
For me, I like to do about 5 sessions of conditioning training leading up to a fight.
You've got to do some running, whether its 3 runs per week and then you do 2 low impact sessions is up to you.
But you've got to do some running.

Well, I have bad news. Coach pulled me from the fight. Between bruised ribs, a broken toe, and I'm sick on top of it and won't be able to train with the guys for at least a week or so.... He told me to just get on the next one when I'm feeling better.

What kind of piece of shit comes to a packed movie theater on opening night by himself and sick as a dog? The guy was sitting next to me and was coughing and snorting the whole movie away. Now I'm sick today. My toe break was recent but seemed to have healed, my ribs are still bruised but whatever, but being sick means I can't train with the guys for who knows how long and the fight is too close.

Fuck my luck

Then it is a good time to start roadwork. What area do you live in? Can you spend some money in running shoes? Can you find a coach for a couple of sessions to teach you run ( there are guides online and on YouTube but it will be nice if someone watches and corrects you.

I used to get pretty sick shin pain until I figured I run badly. So I corrected my form and I ran on snow high at the mountine or sand at the beach mainly right now avoiding urban areas. But soon to be running urban so I am investing in running shoes. They make the difference. And seriously learn the technique.

As long as it goes for programming.

Try to run 30 mins slow tempo. If you can't add walking as rest period. Do this until you can run 30 mins. Try to do all that 3,x a week. Add some dynamic warm up and warm down for sure. It is a huge lower body exercice do not under estimate it. Stretch these legs in the end.

So you can do 3 times a week 30 mins runs. Next is to add up sprints to the routine. Basically add 2x sprints sessions. If you fight 3 rounds 3 mins each. Do this 3 mins as fast as you can and 1, min rest. Then do a second round. A month later add a 3 rd round. A month later add a forth round and then work on speed mainly. Few months later add a fight round. Always warm up for sprints with 1 km run and warm down with 600 meters run. Stretches when finish and dynamic warm up before starting.

As long as for the slow run. Add 5 minutes per week. When you get to 45 mins add an extra session of LISS.

All that is a decent progression. 3-4 session of slow run LISS for 45 mins and 2 sessions of 4-5 rounds of 3 min sprints gets you easily to a top level amateur cardio. That with sport training 5 to 6 times per week and you sure will not have gassing problems.

Last tip. I discovered the power of a massage recently. Spend on it. These guys know how to relax muscles. My back has always been stiff, my shoulders always in pain and recently I got a wrist injury from which I got cured.

Fuck my luck
Sucks, but this is probably for the best. Its an ammy fight not a pro fight for millions of dollars. From the sound of it, it doesn't sound like your coach pulled you because his priority is the gym's brand or name, but for your safety.

As I mentioned before for my ribs, it was bruised and not broken and I couldn't do jack for a month. Didn't even do striking classes because for all I know it could end up being a catch + dump class and landing wrong could push it back even more.

Last tip. I discovered the power of a massage recently. Spend on it. These guys know how to relax muscles. My back has always been stiff, my shoulders always in pain and recently I got a wrist injury from which I got cured.

I have to try this, a couple of fighters at the gym have done it and says it works great. They say we'll discover that we have more injuries and crap than we think we have, and stuff like one hip is higher than the other; Along with maybe getting a bit "taller". Since we all train and fight/spar in a stance which isn't in a natural everyday posture, we're kinda shrunk in + being one side dominant and doing that over and over day in and day out for years.

I would love to do some LSD.

Wait, what are we talking about again?

I have to try this, a couple of fighters at the gym have done it and says it works great. They say we'll discover that we have more injuries and crap than we think we have, and stuff like one hip is higher than the other; Along with maybe getting a bit "taller". Since we all train and fight/spar in a stance which isn't in a natural everyday posture, we're kinda shrunk in + being one side dominant and doing that over and over day in and day out for years.

If you know how to use a foam roller you don't need someone to massage you. or say they say. I roll my feet and calves, and while it definitely helps, there is a difference by going to an actual foot massage parlor. Painful while you do it, the next day I thought they cured my plantar fasciitis for a day.

I haven't tried swimming sprints - definitely might look into that. Swimming is also excellent.

I pretty much cycle regularly nowadays (and love it) and I can say 100% I've felt huge improvements in stamina & general leg strength.

I use to run regularly in the past but don't anymore. For me running put a lot of strain on my knees and I felt wear/tear & would get shin splits every now & then, especially because I live in a pretty urban area and have to jog on concrete. There are parks close by but they aren't open early in the mornings (usually the time I do cardio work).

At the moment I'm lucky and have never experienced shin splits. Cycling is definitely much softer, I was wondering though how good/bad for your joints that skipping is? It seems like the better you get at skipping rope the less exercises it is.

Swimming is one of my go to exercises, I used to compete years ago, if you do the first two laps at a slow pace and then try the third and fourth as quick as you can, and then go back to slow - makes a great workout!

I have to admit, I used to sacrifice A LOT of S&C with skillwork. Not sure of the cost/benefit ratio but sometimes different coaches are only available at different times.

Back