How much running should I do? | Page 3

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Snolla, Sep 8, 2017.

1. DoctorTaco Breadhead

DoctorTaco
    I like alternating between sprint intervals and high paced road road. Run 5x a week, no more than 3 miles but you should be hauling ass. Take two days off in a row.

2. Noodles03 Blue Belt

Noodles03
    Speaking on easier on the knees, I wonder if weighted sprint such as a prowler push/pull would be a good alternative since the weight is slowing you down and therefore you're not as putting much impact on the joints.

3. Sinister Doctor of Doom

Sinister
    He would have gotten his ass kicked, but he would never have gassed out.

Sano likes this.
  4. biscuitsbrah Black Belt

biscuitsbrah
    Yup. Joel Jamison also has article on this. You go as heavy or steeply inclined as you can without going over your anaerobic threshold. Great way of sprint intervals

http://www.8weeksout.com/2008/11/29/intervals-2/

5. Azam Purple Belt

Azam
    Yeah shin splints legitimately feel awful. I think your frame & general size plays a big factor in whether you get shin splints or not. I'm small but have a bit of a frame and I'm pretty heavy footed as a result. I think as well it depends on the intensity - when I use to go running I use to do timed runs at high intensity (for me) and almost always developed shin splints - whereas when I was jogging less intense without time as a factor I never really had much of an issue.

Jump rope I feel is very good for cardio/rhythm and brain/legs/feet coordination (great for when you get older) & it's pretty enjoyable to do. I think it's probably not the greatest thing for your joints but that said if you jump rope properly on the balls of your feet and don't over do it - you'll avoid most joint issues.

Swimming is a really great exercise - it's right up there with cycling plus you avoid the joint & wear/tear from roadwork. It's also a great way to aid recovery from training in general.

I feel the exact same way but with cycling. I never use to do it competitively and in fact never did a lot of cycling when I was younger. I did compete though in cross country marathons for a while when I was younger. But the benefits I've gotten from cycling have been amazing - to the point that other exercises seem to feel less strenuous probably because there may be an improvement in stamina/breathing.

6. AndyMaBobs Purple Belt

AndyMaBobs
    Y'know your basement? Well right underneath that.
    Is it to do with age at all? I'm nearly 23 if thats relevant and I have no idea how old anyone on this forum is.

Not long after I joined my muay thai gym there was a slightly older guy, about 45-50, big muscular dude, but he was having some trouble with his knee so my coach got him to tire bounce instead of skip. That didn't seem to give him as much trouble

7. Azam Purple Belt

Azam
    No I don't think it's age as I've just recently turned 28. Although I can say that when I was 23 - I had a lot less mileage on me & was a lot less stiffer than I am now - back then I was like a newborn baby lol.

I think it's probably due to frame - my shoulders are quite wide & I've got big legs (genetics) - I've always had those features plus I'm 5ft7 and around 72kg. I think if I weighed a lot less I probably wouldn't get shin splints from timed runs.

AndyMaBobs likes this.
  8. j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

j123
    Really?

I'm the same age and found myself with more mileage when I was 21-24. These days, unless I'm on lean bulk calories, I find recovery a tad bit harder. Or maybe its because I've been training really hard for the past couple of years (6 days, 3-5 are twice a days -- never really had a week off) and its wearing its toll on me

Manlet exposed

4daLuLZ and Azam like this.
  9. Azam Purple Belt

Azam
    Yeah recovery is a lot slower after training sessions even I've noticed that as well.

[​IMG]

j123 likes this.