How much is too much for a boxing gym price

Might be worth it then, the coach also said that during the summer he lets you work back what you spent for because he hires his fighters to work/assist him...and such...which would make job hunting significantly easier...basically the gym owner told me it's a business, he has bills to pay, they give quality instruction, bring in top quality coaches, and the price is a reflection of these things...I probably can learn a lot from an "olympic coach" (his name is like Leonard Mayer or something like that, idk...maybe you guys can confirm if he's an olympic coach in south africa [i don't have Facebook] or if he's just pulling the wool over my eyes to justify price)...

Basically I've been going there for free since last Wednesday because the guy wants me to be sure that I want to commit to the program, so he's letting me use it for like a 2 week trial...so he's definitely not seeming like a bad guy...nice person. Maybe you're right weich, if I can gain a lot from the boxing coach, technique wise and stuff, it could be better in the long run when I go back to a cheaper gym with coaches teaching the wrong stuff...because I'll be able to know what I should do and forego their instruction if I'm uncomfortable with it.

I know what you mean about not so great instruction at a cheaper gym...the $50 gym i used to go to never taught me anything I didn't already know from being an obsessive boxing fan/watcher, and didn't really let me improve or develop my own style...needless to say I never had a coach hold mitts for me for the whole year, always another gym attendee...totally different than this gym.

Ah...that must be why...

The gym trains wrestler, muay thaiers...jiu jitsers...and boxers...and have a separate coach for each...the boxing is what it started as though...other disciplines joined after...its still called a boxing gym...

And as for what I'm getting...I get to come to any class any time I want...which is school schedule permitting...and if it wasn't for school...I would be able to go in anytime of the day and do whatever I wanted along with those classes in conditioning, and technique...they recently have acquired the south african Olympic coach who will be teaching here for some time until he goes back...he's awesome...but still...thats a ridiculous price...

It's not that I don't have the money...I still will have enough to last the whole school year and a bit even if I do pay for it...but that doesn't mean I'm just going to throw my money out there without confirming with others who train like you guys, who give honest opinions :)

They are renovating the gym to make it into a really really big gym...but its not a really really big gym as of now...so I don't understand why they're charging for it like it's a mini wild card gym (WC costs $150/month for perspective)
I thought Wild Card costs $50 a month or $25 a month if youre a competitive amateur or professional. You should ask around to see if there's a club nearby for amateur boxers, as not all have websites or are easy to find but always cheap.

It should be noted that these cheaper rates for boxing gyms are to use the facility. Having a trainer work with you usually costs more and you have to work that deal out with them personally.

70€/year here. Havent paid a cent so far.

TS, are you talking about LA Boxing? If so, don't do it. It is ridiculously overpriced (like over $100 per month and it's not month-to-month. You're locked in for the contracted amount. They justify this by saying you can come to as many classes and use the gym as much as you want).

If you want sparring or any instruction beyond the extreme basics they teach in the fitness classes, you have to join the "Fight Team" and pay even more per month for the privilege. While the workout is great and the locations I've been to are clean and well kept, the classes are overpopulated (I work fairly long hours so I was limited on when I could go) to the point where it takes away from the experience (ie getting nailed in the back by the heavy bag of the person behind you while hitting the person in front of you with yours because they are blatantly trying to squeeze too many people into a confined space etc.) and you feel like you can't ask questions.

Not all locations are the same, but as you can tell by my post I had a terrible experience with LA Boxing. It is grossly overpriced for what you get, I didn't learn a whole lot, and there are better places out there. Thought I'd pass my experience along.

No I am talking about Walton's In Canada... I said this already...and its been nothing likeyhe gm you described... That gym sounds absolutely terrible. More details of the specifics are on page 2 man. Thanks

And Minnow on "On Freddie Roach", Roach said thanks to Manny Pacquiao I can keep the gym at 5 bucks a day (therefore if you go everyday, 150 in a month)

My gym is 75 a month,the trainer is great and trains the current pro heavyweight Kevin Johnson.

It really depends on how good the trainer is and how much quality the gym is. If it feels like the money is worth it,it probably is if not then you are wasting your time.

There's a great boxing gym here, $50 a month

it depends on the caliber of student/teacher required.

eg, if you're a beginner, you can learn from just about anybody. When you're not, you need a higher caliber of instructor.

I've paid anywhere from $20 drop in p/class to $200 p/hr and everywhere in between.

Are you a beginner? Have you had any fights yet? It might be worth staying at the gym your at now and seeing if you still want to keep boxing after that, then you can get a contract cuz you know youll be dedicated.

However that price is fucking steep man. I pay 10 bucks a month for my gym, and we have some pro fighters and a lot of good amateurs. I don't think there is any boxing gym here that costs more than 20 a month. Even the Escalante gym is cheap. Usually if a trainer likes you, they are willing to train you.

But yea I've noticed most MMA gyms or "Popular" gyms are over 100 dollars a month which I think is ridiculous. I've attended two of these gyms before and trust me they did not offer better instruction then the 10 dollar a month gym Im at now. The only difference was they were a lot cleaner and nicer. I just couldn't take the hordes of tapout wearing "fighters" doing the cardio boxing classes and only having 5 people who actually wanted to spar in the whole gym.

Are you a beginner? Have you had any fights yet? It might be worth staying at the gym your at now and seeing if you still want to keep boxing after that, then you can get a contract cuz you know youll be dedicated.

However that price is fucking steep man. I pay 10 bucks a month for my gym, and we have some pro fighters and a lot of good amateurs. I don't think there is any boxing gym here that costs more than 20 a month. Even the Escalante gym is cheap. Usually if a trainer likes you, they are willing to train you.

But yea I've noticed most MMA gyms or "Popular" gyms are over 100 dollars a month which I think is ridiculous. I've attended two of these gyms before and trust me they did not offer better instruction then the 10 dollar a month gym Im at now. The only difference was they were a lot cleaner and nicer. I just couldn't take the hordes of tapout wearing "fighters" doing the cardio boxing classes and only having 5 people who actually wanted to spar in the whole gym.

I've boxed for 2 years...never competitively out of respect for my parents...I'm 19 so in theory I can go against them but...they're paying for my school fees...for university, so to be honest, I don't have a real right to disrespect them because its killing them to pay for this stuff...This new coach wants me to compete in 2 months he didn't believe that I hadn't competed before...then again, probably trying to make me stay in the gym by complimenting me xD :rolleyes: But no he wants me to compete in 2 months, I'll be saying no to that.

Anyway, I'm not new to this, and my old gym back was in my hometown, aka not the same town as my uni...and the old gym...was also bought out...

Are you canada? How the heck do you get 10 bucks a month, for real, I would kill to be in your position gym-wise...what the heck man...that's unreal.

My mum actually says if I put down the money it's on me, it's not something they'll be annoyed about or questioning my judgment for...probably more or less because they know outside of the classroom, my social life, extra curricular life, hobby life is only in the boxing gym lol. They just won't say that...

Either way, that go ahead is still something I'm going to try and bargain with..because that is a ridiculous price if you're paying only 10 -.-

I've boxed for 2 years...never competitively out of respect for my parents...I'm 19 so in theory I can go against them but...they're paying for my school fees...for university, so to be honest, I don't have a real right to disrespect them because its killing them to pay for this stuff...This new coach wants me to compete in 2 months he didn't believe that I hadn't competed before...then again, probably trying to make me stay in the gym by complimenting me xD :rolleyes: But no he wants me to compete in 2 months, I'll be saying no to that.

Anyway, I'm not new to this, and my old gym back was in my hometown, aka not the same town as my uni...and the old gym...was also bought out...

Are you canada? How the heck do you get 10 bucks a month, for real, I would kill to be in your position gym-wise...what the heck man...that's unreal.

My mum actually says if I put down the money it's on me, it's not something they'll be annoyed about or questioning my judgment for...probably more or less because they know outside of the classroom, my social life, extra curricular life, hobby life is only in the boxing gym lol. They just won't say that...

Either way, that go ahead is still something I'm going to try and bargain with..because that is a ridiculous price if you're paying only 10 -.-

No Im not in Canada, thank God, lol jk.

If you're not competing, what are you training for? To be in shape, to learn technique, to eventually compete later on? Also if you don't want to compete in 2 months then don't but that shouldn't be the reason you leave the gym unless your coach is an asshole and giving you an ultimatum.

I just don't think those MMA gyms are worth it and spending 100 dollars a month to train for a sport you are not even competing in seems like a huge waste of money.

Ultimately its up to you, but I don't think the price justifies what you will be getting out of it.

Also if you really want to compete I would talk to your parents about it. Im assuming they are worried about you getting injured, but you should explain to them that amateur boxing is pretty safe with I believe having the least amount of injuries over most over sports. There is also no study that has ever shown amatuer boxing causes brain damage. I'm hardly proof of anything but I've been training for 2 years and I'm looking at getting into med school next year, so it can't be too bad on my brain lol.

And Minnow on "On Freddie Roach", Roach said thanks to Manny Pacquiao I can keep the gym at 5 bucks a day (therefore if you go everyday, 150 in a month)

That's a daily rate and is really cheap at that.

I just went on their site and their monthly rate is $50, and $25 if youre a licensed amateur or pro

This new coach wants me to compete in 2 months he didn't believe that I hadn't competed before...then again, probably trying to make me stay in the gym by complimenting me xD But no he wants me to compete in 2 months, I'll be saying no to that.
So did you convince your parents you can start sparring? The cumulative effects of which are more damaging than competing as an amateur

@Def1 I train because boxing is life for me lol, nothing else really is fun or worth doing (other than getting a career obivously) than this to me in life. I've trained mainly to improve technique, be in tip top shape, and just because...I freakin love this, the love of the game man. I do see what you mean by having such a steep price not be worth it if I'm not competing...I'll be considering this too...most likely...I will pay in half and half...300 for 3 months and then work over xmas holiday to make it back and make the next 300 for the next 3 months...because I need to be doing something other than studying...so if I don't have the boxing gym, theres not really anything else to do, that would be a sad life...studying all day...as I found out last year when I didn't box during school...If I do compete, it will be likely at a time when my parents aren't really paying for anything of mine or supporting me in any way...

@Minnow Thats a great price for the WC gym...arguably one of the best in the world being that cheap...sometimes it sucks not to be american lol or in places where there actually are good deals around. I guess if Manny Pacquiao/Freddie Roach's saga never happened that that gym would be really expensive...because it looks really nice. Wish I could attend that one. Like I said...when theres no real competition from other gyms...people seem to put the price as high as they want because you can't go anywhere else if you say no...maybe thats the case here?

And as for convincing my parents to let me spar or compete...yeah...that's never going to work. No matter what you tell my Dad, no matter what you tell my mom, no matter how much proof you give them that its safe and this and that, they have engrained in their minds that 1 shot to the head is too many, that they will really look down upon me even asking if I can spar, don't know what they would do if I actually did spar...so I've kept quiet...like I said, when the time comes that I can move away from home and away from their support system...that'll be my only real chance of getting real in the ring work...Coach said maybe I can do some really light sparring without telling them (kind of as an open invitation joke)...don't think that'll go over well in the long run because everything seems to get leaked out these days someway, somehow.

Edit* in case people are wondering what my parents do to make them think like this...I can basically say they are quite clingy and my dad is a physician so he believes he knows better than all the coaches, athletic commissions, and any other person regarding the issue which is why he cannot be convinced by anyone about this...which can be annoying. He also asks me about every 2 weeks whether or not im still not sparring as he expects...its honestly over the top, can be irritating. Whats ironic is that at our old gym, a colleague of his, another physician...was actively sparring...guess he doesnt know anything either right...-_- of course i didnt mention this to my dad

Last edited:
I've been extremely fortunate in that I have never paid a dime for my training in the past 6 years. At the gym I'm a member of, a raquetball court had mats put down, the walls painted and bags hung up with some Wavemaster standing ones. A few retired boxers came in and started running classes, training for free at first. I was the first to join and they worked out with me that if I clean the mats, I wouldn't have to pay. Then they went to another gym so I just worked out alone for about two years. Now there is a muay thai instructor using the space and another guy doing Hapkido, and the gym owner recommended me to them and now I have the same plan with them.

1 pound for an hour in my gym and it's a fantastic gym that has produced fantastic amateur and professional boxers.

1 pound for an hour in my gym and it's a fantastic gym that has produced fantastic amateur and professional boxers.

It seems in general, the British get much better boxing gym prices...likely because it is a sport that is quite popular (relative to other sports in the countey for those who will say American/Canadian boxing is popular) so likely the funding that goes into the sport means gyms dont need to try and choke you out of money in order to just sustain themselves...like I said...my 50 bucks a month gym went under in my hometown because better company pushed it out...this new gym is going through a 6 month renovation (that will move it to a much larger space but be underground) because other businesses want the main street...This could also be a factor, no?

Just to follow up with all of you. I think I will not pay the 120/month...even some of the grown adults that i've not seen coming anymore have told me in person that its too expensive...and that they've relocated to one that is 80/month and another that is 100/3months...aka 33/month...

They're both not as conveniently located near me as the 120/month...but if i can get 100/3 months....then its probably worth it the extra travel time...its been about 4 or 5 minutes walk to the gym im going to...and its about 21 minutes to the 33/month one...14 if i take the bus part way...considering i'm going there and back with school work...it is somewhat inconvenient.

Just wanted to follow up because...I know it can be annoying when you respond to one's questions and then they never tell you what they did in the end of it all lol.

Last edited:
Back