How much is too much for a boxing gym price

mixedmajik

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am a student who just got back to school out of my home town paying 50 dollars a month to box at a not so great gym...

Now over here they are asking me...a student to pay 300 bucks for 3 months or 600 bucks for 6...cannot pay by month... Granted this gym is better than my old one, but the price is so high...i feel maybe too high...either that or my old gym spoiled me with their price...thoughts? My old gym also had many less members so youd think theyd be the ones charging more not less -.-

Anyway - tell them you can't afford it, and then see if it they lower it. You may have to actually quit the gym for a while. But a little money is better than no money - especially if you're one of the types of people they want to hang around.

the gym near me charges about 35 bucks a month. a couple champions and many contenders and prospects train there. guys like roy jones sr bernard hopkins etc stop by frequently to give free clinics(lol) i believe if you volunteer they actually waive the membership fee too. i rarely train there tho because i already have another gym i like.

If that includes personal instruction then it might be worth it. Except that you don't have the $ for it, so no, it's not worth it.

You're doing it wrong. I've never heard of a boxing gym that charged more than $30 a month. Most of them are incredibly cheap.

That definitely seems steep.

What are they offering at that price?

I'm in CA where everything seems to be more expensive. With that said, I dont know the standard prices for boxing around here, but I'd be willing to pay up to $75 for a pure boxing gym, if that is what I wanted to do.

When you get close to $100/month and higher you start hitting MMA gym territory, where you can learn 3+ disciplines instead of just 1.

I'm in CA where everything seems to be more expensive. With that said, I dont know the standard prices for boxing around here, but I'd be willing to pay up to $75 for a pure boxing gym, if that is what I wanted to do.

When you get close to $100/month and higher you start hitting MMA gym territory, where you can learn 3+ disciplines instead of just 1.
Ah...that must be why...

The gym trains wrestler, muay thaiers...jiu jitsers...and boxers...and have a separate coach for each...the boxing is what it started as though...other disciplines joined after...its still called a boxing gym...

And as for what I'm getting...I get to come to any class any time I want...which is school schedule permitting...and if it wasn't for school...I would be able to go in anytime of the day and do whatever I wanted along with those classes in conditioning, and technique...they recently have acquired the south african Olympic coach who will be teaching here for some time until he goes back...he's awesome...but still...thats a ridiculous price...

It's not that I don't have the money...I still will have enough to last the whole school year and a bit even if I do pay for it...but that doesn't mean I'm just going to throw my money out there without confirming with others who train like you guys, who give honest opinions :)

They are renovating the gym to make it into a really really big gym...but its not a really really big gym as of now...so I don't understand why they're charging for it like it's a mini wild card gym (WC costs $150/month for perspective)

The only thing I can think of as the reason they don't charge 4 pounds or $30 for gyms here is because theres not really any competitors to make you set a realistic price...even when I was paying $50 for a shoddy gym back home...was the only gym in town...here? This is...not the only gym in town...but the only gym close to the school whereas the other gym is across town like an hour away...more by foot which I travel...

I feel kind of like they assume students going to university have money and you can cheese them with price? I don't know...it just seems high. And obviously if you guys aren't paying this much...I may have to look into this deeper or something.

I can't plead for them to lower my price because other students are going there and paying the full thing...so that suggestion won't work...

Think I touched on all the responses...please continue your input.

Ah...that must be why...

The gym trains wrestler, muay thaiers...jiu jitsers...and boxers...and have a separate coach for each...the boxing is what it started as though...other disciplines joined after...its still called a boxing gym...

And as for what I'm getting...I get to come to any class any time I want...which is school schedule permitting...and if it wasn't for school...I would be able to go in anytime of the day and do whatever I wanted along with those classes in conditioning, and technique...they recently have acquired the south african Olympic coach who will be teaching here for some time until he goes back...he's awesome...but still...thats a ridiculous price...

It's not that I don't have the money...I still will have enough to last the whole school year and a bit even if I do pay for it...but that doesn't mean I'm just going to throw my money out there without confirming with others who train like you guys, who give honest opinions :)

They are renovating the gym to make it into a really really big gym...but its not a really really big gym as of now...so I don't understand why they're charging for it like it's a mini wild card gym (WC costs $150/month for perspective)

The only thing I can think of as the reason they don't charge 4 pounds or $30 for gyms here is because theres not really any competitors to make you set a realistic price...even when I was paying $50 for a shoddy gym back home...was the only gym in town...here? This is...not the only gym in town...but the only gym close to the school whereas the other gym is across town like an hour away...more by foot which I travel...

I feel kind of like they assume students going to university have money and you can cheese them with price? I don't know...it just seems high. And obviously if you guys aren't paying this much...I may have to look into this deeper or something.

I can't plead for them to lower my price because other students are going there and paying the full thing...so that suggestion won't work...

Think I touched on all the responses...please continue your input.

$100 a month is pretty reasonable for an mma gym, some of them have plans like that to make money. What is the name of the gym if you don't mind giving it to us? It might help us out.

My gym is $95 a month, but you can do boxing, muay thai, savate, or any combination of the three.

My gym is $95 a month, but you can do boxing, muay thai, savate, or any combination of the three.

So 5 bucks less than mine for basically the same thing...maybe I'm whining too much then

An average boxing gym should be a maximum of 70 dollars a month. I also pay 50, but it also depends on the skills you can learn from what the coaches teach

So 5 bucks less than mine for basically the same thing...maybe I'm whining too much then

I paid a lot less for lessons when I lived in Ohio. I also got considerably worse instruction that basically left me with a laundry list of problems in my technique. I trust my new coach and the techniques I learn. It's worth the extra money.

Back