How many times will Aspinall defend the interim belt?

I believe just once against blaydes. If Blaydes loses, Aspinall's next fight would be for the real belt. I could also see him being stripped of the belt if he gets hurt or something along those lines to make way for the Jones vs Pereira fight. That fight will make the UFC more money so I could see them pushing that fight.

Interim belts should only be defended once, in a direct fight with the former champ. there's no such thing as the former champ doing another different fight - that automatically should invalidate any of his belt claims and transform the interim into the real belt.
Yeah, the closest is the nonsense at UFC 100, but that still makes more sense than this. In the past, Jones would have just been stripped with a promise of a title fight when he can come back into the cage.

As many times as it takes Jones to retire and give him the regular belt.

I would love to watch Jones vs Poatan but this would be quite unfair to Aspinall. If Jones isn't serious about retiring, he needs to be stripped off his belt.

It depends when Jones wants to get the fuck out of the way after the geriatric Stipe fight.

If he goes on trying to call names like Pereira to get more easy fights it's not gonna work, everyone's just gonna laugh at him for ducking Aspinall.

The interim champ is facing the higher ranked opponent coming off a win. The “real” champ is fighting a guy coming off a loss that hasn’t fight in over 3 years and hasn’t won in 4. Everybody with any sense sees what’s going on here.
Well, almost everybody.

That's the usual logic of it, but Jon fans have informed me repeatedly "The Stipe fight was already signed" which apparently invalidates decades of understanding of what an interim belt is and what the definition of undisputed champion is.
<30>
It's never really been about that. It's always been about money. About 95% of the decisions UFC make are all based around money. On list of things that matter to the UFC merit is not at the top of the list.

I mean, Tom could be a world beater for all we know, but UFC just put him as a co-main behind Leon Edwards and Belal Muhammad. Let that sink in.

They have tons of data nobody here has access to and they know the numbers they are dealing with. It seems apparently they believe Tom isn't a draw. I wonder if that Tom vs Sergei PPV bombed on the numbers.

Before it's brought up, the UFC has headlined an Interim Title over a real title before. UFC 249 Ferguson Gaethje headlined over Cejudo Cruz.

Last edited:
It's never really been about that. It's always been about money. About 95% of the decisions UFC make are all based around money. On list of things that matter to the UFC merit is not at the top of the list.

I mean, Tom could be a world beater for all we know, but UFC just put him as a co-main behind Leon Edwards and Belal Muhammad. Let that sink in.

They have tons of data nobody here has access to and they know the numbers they are dealing with. It seems apparently they believe Tom isn't a draw. I wonder if that Tom vs Sergei PPV bombed on the numbers.

Before it's brought up, the UFC has headlined an Interim Title over a real title before. UFC 249 Ferguson Gaethje headlined over Cejudo Cruz.
You're going to use that clusterfuck of a card as some sort of warped justification that this is secretly a bad sign for Tom with the UFC putting him as co-headliner? Lol. Lmao even. The reach in this post is just on another level.

Tom is auditioning for a Unified Title Fight with everything in his favor for venue and audience, in the Blaydes II fight.

If he can repeat his Pavlovich performance and show he can hype and move Dana's needle -- he'll get that UTF.

You're going to use that clusterfuck of a card as some sort of warped justification that this is secretly a bad sign for Tom with the UFC putting him as co-headliner? Lol. Lmao even. The reach in this post is just on another level.
What there in my post did you disagree with? I'm open to hearing alternative view points. It's true, UFC is a business so obviously they care about money. It's true, UFC has data nobody here has access too. It's true, Aspinall is co-maining behind Belal. It's true, UFC has headlined an Interim over a real title, wasn't even a women's fight.

TBF it doesn't even make sense to me that Belal is headlining over Aspinall. That fight is going to be a 5 round point fest where Aspinall Blaydes is likely going to end in a finish within 2 rounds. That seems like a better way to cap off a PPV. But still, FUCKING BELAL IS THE HEADLINER!!!

Last edited:
What there in my post did you disagree with? I'm open to hearing alternative view points. It's true, UFC is a business so obviously they care about money. It's true, UFC has data nobody here has access too. It's true, Aspinall is co-maining behind Belal. It's true, UFC has headlined an Interim over a real title.
Is there any other time in history other than UFC 249 which was the first PPV during covid, was rescheduled 3 times in different countries, had about 20 fight revisions including Cruz coming out of a 4 year retirement because he was the only BW in the tri state area that could be cleared to challenge for a title where an Interim Title superceded an actual title on a card?
Or are we going to use that single cherry picked event under once in a lifetime circumstances and fallacious extrapolate towards your theory that Tom is what? Not a draw? Which is the new cope as to why Jon really should fight Stipe instead of Tom according to his fans as if they're working as the bookkeeper for Dana and TKO?

Is there any other time in history other than UFC 249 which was the first PPV during covid, was rescheduled 3 times in different countries, had about 20 fight revisions including Cruz coming out of a 4 year retirement because he was the only BW in the tri state area that could be cleared to challenge for a title where an Interim Title superceded an actual title on a card?
Or are we going to use that single cherry picked event under once in a lifetime circumstances and fallacious extrapolate towards your theory that Tom is what? Not a draw? Which is the new cope as to why Jon really should fight Stipe instead of Tom according to his fans as if they're working as the bookkeeper for Dana and TKO?
Well I mean look, why in the hell would the UFC put Aspinall behind a Belal Leon title fight? That fight is almost super guaranteed to be a 5 round point fest. Aspinall Blaydes is almost guaranteed to be a finish within 2 rounds. Doesn't that seem to be a way way way better way to cap off a PPV? Are we saying because 249 was a clusterfuck from here on out UFC is going to headline real titles over Interims, even when it goes against there best interest and what would make them most money and be best for them? I don't believe that at all. I'm working with the things that are going on and the knowledge of UFC being a business and making decisions that make them money. Jon Stipe isn't even relevant in this discussion.

Interim belts should only be defended once, in a direct fight with the former champ. there's no such thing as the former champ doing another different fight - that automatically should invalidate any of his belt claims and transform the interim into the real belt.
Only time I think an Interim was defended and it sort of made sense was Frank Mir vs Big Nog at UFC 92 for the Interim Belt with Brock vs Randy happening at UFC 91 for the "Undisputed". When Randy sat out trying to get the Fedor fight the UFC would not strip him and instead created an Interim title fight between Big Nog and Big Timmy. Nog won and was booked to defend against Frank Mir and Randy was coaxed back with the Brock Lensar fight.

I think Barao was the only other Interim Champ that defended.

He will defend the interim belt 1x max. He’s fighting in July. Jon will fight in November.

If Jon and Tom win they fight. If Jon retires after Stipe, Tom gets promoted to champion. Either scenario he can defend once.

who cares
if you have the best resume and the most hardest competition

no one really cares bro
You gotta give em credit though. One of the very few times “paper champ” is used correctly on Sherdog.

Lmfao...what a salty bitch thread lol .

Tom will do what he's told .. .

Jones is the one with like 10 belts at home... undefeated champion at LHW and now the HW champion..

U can bark all you want just remember Tom is only interim champion because Jones got hurt and Dana got desperate... Otherwise Tom would be fighting Derrick Lewis on a fight night card somewhere lol ..

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you...
And Jon will continue avoid real challenges while claiming he's fighting the best.

Talk about buy wolf tickets and being gullible

Back