How many BJJ black belts do you think there are?

What are the big schools in DFW with a lot of BBs?
Carlos has given out alot of blackbelts (i've personally seen double digit just in my tenure of training). I've also seen Mohler give out a handful as well. Brandon Quick gave 5 blackbelts last summer at Johnny Befords gym last summer (i was there for that, the gym is right by DFW airport). Its not uncommon to go to Star Jiu Jitsu or Travis Lutters gym and see more than a handful of blackbelts on the mat (both gyms have promoted plenty of blackbelts)

I have no doubt that the 100 BB in DFW is accurate. Its a huge metroplex, theres probably 40 BB just in instructors alone !!!

Last edited:
What are the big schools in DFW with a lot of BBs?
Well my school (Alvarez BJJ) is a small "no name" school and this past december he promoted 10 of us to Black (including me, solid brag). So now we have 14 including him. Add in Carlos Machado school, Travis Lutter has been around well over a decade, his Black Belt Paul Halme over a decade (I personally know 10 Black belts from his school), Genesis Jiu Jitsu is ranking a few blacks a year etc. Easily over 100 Black belts in DFW.

I'm not sure that math adds up. Yes he has a good school and lots of black belts but only a very few people who start jiu jitsu actually ever get their black belts. The Gracie Academy has been there since the 90's. They include the Miami academy and they have just over 100
Are you in DFW? I can promise you I am not saying that just to blow smoke on a message board. I legitmately believe it and know a ton of them.

Are you in DFW? I can promise you I am not saying that just to blow smoke on a message board. I legitmately believe it and know a ton of them.

I have been to Carlos's school. I bet there was 100 white belts on the mat for the beginer class. Probably 10-15 black belts in the advanced class. I have no doubt you are correct.

I live in a mid sized southern city and we will have 3-4 black belts at our open mat tomorrow. Off the top of my head I can name 20+ in our metro area of 800k people. I bet the number is closer to 50 right here.

My guess would be 15-20k black belts in the US.

I'm not sure that math adds up. Yes he has a good school and lots of black belts but only a very few people who start jiu jitsu actually ever get their black belts. The Gracie Academy has been there since the 90's. They include the Miami academy and they have just over 100

The Gracie Academy also only gave black belts to family members until like 2007.

I'm sure a ton of people quit Jiu Jitsu but 15 years ago Carlos Machado had over a dozen black belts and those black belts have given out dozens not to mention the out of towners who came in and set up shop.

Again, DFW probably has well over 100. That's because in terms of promotion, there were so many black belts already that the Gracie Academy probably won't catch up.

I'm guessing there are near 100 in DFW alone at this point. I'm guessing the 3000 number is honestly low at this point.

It might be, though judging by major metros is a bit misleading because I think almost all BBs still live in or very near major metros. In CO for example, about half the people in the state live in the Denver metro but I'd bet 80%+ of the BBs here are in the area (including Boulder), just because all the older schools are here. I'd bet that holds true in most states. Though 3000 very well might be on the low side, there's definitely been an explosion in BBs as people who started in the mid 00s reach the 10 year mark.

It might be, though judging by major metros is a bit misleading because I think almost all BBs still live in or very near major metros. In CO for example, about half the people in the state live in the Denver metro but I'd bet 80%+ of the BBs here are in the area (including Boulder), just because all the older schools are here. I'd bet that holds true in most states. Though 3000 very well might be on the low side, there's definitely been an explosion in BBs as people who started in the mid 00s reach the 10 year mark.
I remember just from when I started being "blessed" to see a brown belt or two. Now there are so many Blackbelts I don't even know in DFW. I know the Carlos Tree has 100+ alone in DFW with more than likely being 200+. Add in Houston and then the smaller towns I'm guessing 500-1000+ in Texas alone. Go throw in Southern California and just those 2 states would be over 3k.

I have been to Carlos's school. I bet there was 100 white belts on the mat for the beginer class. Probably 10-15 black belts in the advanced class. I have no doubt you are correct.

I live in a mid sized southern city and we will have 3-4 black belts at our open mat tomorrow. Off the top of my head I can name 20+ in our metro area of 800k people. I bet the number is closer to 50 right here.

My guess would be 15-20k black belts in the US.
15,000 to 20,000 brazilian jiu jitsu black belts in the US? Thay sounds high. Anyone else think so.

When I think about lineage in America I think ok. Who is the head in America. Even if those teachers have black belts who have blackbelts (grand black belts) I still consider those from the head teacher here. Of course the roots all go back to Carlos and or Helio (or Japan if you wanted to) but I'm thinking about here in America.

How many istructors have 100 plus bb like this?
Renzo
Carlos Machado
Gracie Academy
Charles Gracie
Alliance
Barra
???

I don't know why I didn't think there were so many in Texas but that's awesome. I go to Texas a couple times a year and will start bringing a gi.

You are probably correct. My math was based on us in middle america. 50 Black Belts in a million people. There are 320 Million people in the US.

I remember just from when I started being "blessed" to see a brown belt or two. Now there are so many Blackbelts I don't even know in DFW. I know the Carlos Tree has 100+ alone in DFW with more than likely being 200+. Add in Houston and then the smaller towns I'm guessing 500-1000+ in Texas alone. Go throw in Southern California and just those 2 states would be over 3k.

When I first started in 2002 in Indiana my coach was a purple belt, and I think there was one black belt in the state. Now, probably 50 or so there.

When I first started in 2002 in Indiana my coach was a purple belt, and I think there was one black belt in the state. Now, probably 50 or so there.
When I started in 96 2 blue belts had the school and we're teaching in San Francisco. I had to drive over an hour to get to class. Thankfully jiu jitsu has come a long way. 50 black belts in Indiana? Dang. I had no idea. That's great

There's prob close to 40, if not more, in my city alone (including one that posts here). I live in a pretty big metro area in the GOAT wrestling state so there's a deep grappling "heritage" imbedded in the culture. My gym usually has 2/3 on the mats at all times. There's quite a few of us browns lurking in the coming years, as well.

The BJJ team, training in my gym alone has 6 BBs and bunch of browns.
Thats Osaka, Japan.
Id say, Tokyo has over 100.
Maybe in all Japan, there are over 500 now. Quite the difference with 10 years ago, when there were 0 in Osaka.
BJJ is not as rare as it used to be...

In the US (American blackbelt, not including the instructors from Brazil or blackbelt assistants "visiting" from outside US), I was going to with a number closer to 1500, but then again, that's not including the Valente brothers who it seems crank out 100s each year. So including the Valente Bros, I would guess 2000+ BB in the USA.

i think the number is between 10-20k

There's prob close to 40, if not more, in my city alone (including one that posts here). I live in a pretty big metro area in the GOAT wrestling state so there's a deep grappling "heritage" imbedded in the culture. My gym usually has 2/3 on the mats at all times. There's quite a few of us browns lurking in the coming years, as well.
Didn't realize you lived in Texas too.

Back