How many BJJ black belts do you think there are?

I was thinking about this after I watched a TED talk from UNLV. This guy was saying we should give jiu jitsu to under privileged kids to increase the black belts in the US and we would have a better country.

How many Black Belts do you think there are in America?

If you are not from America, how many Black Belts do you think there are in your country?
Can you post the ted talk.

Thanks. Very interesting. I think he has some good ideas.
Agreed. I believe I could write a book how jiu jitsu gave me the strength, determination, self reflection, and attitude to have a great family life successful career, and a positive outlook on life.

In theory I agree but there are two people involved with what he is suggesting. I have tried to help people who don't want help. It ultimately ends in my disappointment.

Agreed. I believe I could write a book how jiu jitsu gave me the strength, determination, self reflection, and attitude to have a great family life successful career, and a positive outlook on life.

In theory I agree but there are two people involved with what he is suggesting. I have tried to help people who don't want help. It ultimately ends in my disappointment.
Yeah. But he is talking about children. Adults in the situation he is speaking about probably have already given up. With children there is a chance we can break through to them. I'm not saying I would like to volunteer for that, I'm not a bb nor a school owner, and my time is so limited. I can see the possibility with young kids.

We have four black belts (including myself) at my school, and there are two other black belts in our mid-sized city. I can think of maybe 4 black belts in other small & mid-sized Missouri towns, and then you get to Columbia (3 BBs at least are still there after Kiko France and Dustin Denes left), and I'm not sure how many in St. Louis (3 prominent BBs left St Louis to move to San Diego last year) and Kansas City, but I would guess that Missouri probably has maybe 30+ Black Belts.

There are monstrous numbers of Brown Belts!

It's so funny. I remember when I started out. In the middle of the country a blue belt was like a Jedi, and a very rare sight. Purple Belts could run very successful schools!

Back