How good was Prime Hughes as a wrestler? Better than Khabib or Askren?

"You know Joe, When Matt and his brother Mark Hughes were growing up they would pound each other behind the barn!"

I am just afraid too many people saw too much of Hughes at the end of his reign and the end of his career to fully appreciate just how great he was in his prime.

Mach Sakurai was a legend in the sport and a consensus GOAT. He was only His ONLY loss prior to Hughes was to Anderson Silva and that was a decision loss. Hughes went through him like a hot knife through butter. Mach was or 26 or 27 when they fought and was in his prime. It was a mauling. Hughes took him down and just beat the shit out if him until their was little of him left. Mach was never really the same after that fight.

Question for the smart, knowledgeable sherbros: Was Matt Hughes the real deal? I know he was a P4P great back in the day and he beat GSP and Penn!
He was taken down, beaten and strangulated by Penn.

Prime penn was out wrestled by Edgar

So if my mma math is correct, Hugh's was good but not khabib level. He was just stronger and better than the others at that time.

WHY THE FUCK DO SHERDOGGERS KEEP COMPARING KHABIB TO WELTERWEIGHTS.

Shouldn't both that line of questioning. And the obvious answer be more easily found. By asking if prime Hughes was as good as GSP ?

Just sayin.

Softball too
Yea thats right fellas, i watch college softball

Yup forgot softball.
Men's b-ball has UK and UF, while on women's side, Carolina and Miss State are good while UT had a dynasty until UConn rose to the top. Swiming too, SEC excels in it. Women's tennis and golf too

Yup forgot softball.
Men's b-ball has UK and UF, while on women's side, Carolina and Miss State are good while UT had a dynasty until UConn rose to the top. Swiming too, SEC excels in it. Women's tennis and golf too

Funny thing about that guys post regarding SEC wrestling, is im pretty sure it doesnt exist

he's like the tito ortiz of MMA. Back when there was a lack of takedown defense and immature MMA, he was godlike, then GSP came along and showed him what a modern fighter was like. Tito seemed invincible for a while because he was ducking Chuck for years. That said, he'd definitely match up well with khabib, and probably be competitive with a lot of fighters nowadays. His strength and conditioning was very high level.

The level was different back then. Hughes wouldnt have been as dominant against the guys of today. That being said he was a great fighter,but seeing Khabib's grappling prowess,it looks light years ahead of what hughes was capable of.

"You know Joe, When Matt and his brother Mark Hughes were growing up they would pound each other behind the barn!"
I love the thought of men, especially brothers, pounding each other behind the barn.

he's like the tito ortiz of MMA. Back when there was a lack of takedown defense and immature MMA, he was godlike, then GSP came along and showed him what a modern fighter was like. Tito seemed invincible for a while because he was ducking Chuck for years. That said, he'd definitely match up well with khabib, and probably be competitive with a lot of fighters nowadays. His strength and conditioning was very high level.
I dont think its the same,for however dominant Hughes was,he could defeat a guy who was winning against him,who challenged him. Penn,GSP,Trigg and others,he struggled mightily and triumphed. Tito never really had that in his prime. It came easy for him,and then boom,he was on a losing streak.
Both are tough men dont get me wrong,but Hughes could really battle from underneath and turn the tables.

Hughes was a monster back in the day, but not even in his prime he was nowhere near the wrestler Askren is, nor was he as good as a wrestler as Khabib is. MMA evolved since Hughes was the man and both Askren and Khabib are superior wrestlers. I do think that Hughes had underrated bjj though.

Maybe cause he cuts a ridiculous amount of weight to fight at LW and could easily fight at WW?

Hughes was a monster back in the day, but not even in his prime he was nowhere near the wrestler Askren is, nor was he as good as a wrestler as Khabib is. MMA evolved since Hughes was the man and both Askren and Khabib are superior wrestlers. I do think that Hughes had underrated bjj though.

Maybe cause he cuts a ridiculous amount of weight to fight at LW and could easily fight at WW?

Those welterweights cut weight too. Khabib is smaller than all of them except perhaps Cerrone.

Anyway, Hughes would've gotten outwrestled by Askren, Hendricks, Woodley.

"Weight cut evolution." He's being compared to WWs of the past who weren't really much bigger (if at all) than him.

Kind of like how Rockhold frame-wise is bigger than prime Wand, and if sent back in time could easily bulk up a little and fight at 205 without looking out of place in the Pride days.

I think what people fail to realize is the talent pool was far shallower in Hughes' prime than it is today. Hughes was awesome, but he was also a big fish in a comparatively small pond. Fighters are just much better today than they were 10-12 years ago. Especially from 170 down.

No man, Khabib and Askren are beber. But good subject to discuss.

It doesn't. Only Mizzou does but they wrestle in another conference.
Yea i knew that much. There guy at 197lbs is an animal

But ive followed College wrestling for some time now and never seen or heard them mention the SEC or SEC schools

Sorry, guys.....Prime Hughes never left, the game just passed him. Prime Hughes got reqt by Penn, Prime Penn got reqt by Frankie, prime Frankie got reqt by Bendo, Prime Bendo got reqt by RDA and Prime RDA got emasculated by Khabib.

Khabib is the greatest LW to ever walk the planet, possibly the greatest P4P fighter ever, this is what happens when you wrestle grizzly (brown) bears and dont play Nintendo. Watch the "Dagestan Massacre" to find out what Khabib grew up with, not Duck Hunt.

Back