How good was Prime Hughes as a wrestler? Better than Khabib or Askren?

Those welterweights cut weight too. Khabib is smaller than all of them except perhaps Cerrone.

Anyway, Hughes would've gotten outwrestled by Askren, Hendricks, Woodley.

I don't know about that, man. I heard he walks around 200 pounds when not in fight shape. He's a huge LW. At least as big as Masvidal and Cerrone, for sure. I agree with the second part, though.

Hughes was a brute. There wasn't anything slick about his style. Just brute strength against people with shit TDD. He made it work though.

Prime Hughes was one dimensional and wouldn't even be a top 5 WW today. One of GSP's most overrated wins in his overrated resume.
Do you not realize that the game evolves pretty fast, and that the top guys from one cohort are never going to be as good as the top guys from the next cohort? Hughes was smashing everyone back then. At the time, it was a super impressive win despite the fact that it would not be impressive today. I bet you think all of Pedro Rizzo's wins were overrated too.

I don't know about that, man. I heard he walks around 200 pounds when not in fight shape. He's a huge LW. At least as big as Masvidal and Cerrone, for sure. I agree with the second part, though.

If he's 200 lbs...

75/99 wrestling offense
73/99 wrstling defense

The haters are out in this one. Shit's crazy. I chose not to bother.

Sad the way they disrespect Hughes

He was perennial top 3 WW back when current top 3 WW and recent champ Robbie Lawler couldnt make it in the UFC

Robbie hasnt improved that much, prime Hughes would be a force even today. Probably not champ, but top 5 for sure

I am just afraid too many people saw too much of Hughes at the end of his reign and the end of his career to fully appreciate just how great he was in his prime.

Mach Sakurai was a legend in the sport and a consensus GOAT. He was only His ONLY loss prior to Hughes was to Anderson Silva and that was a decision loss. Hughes went through him like a hot knife through butter. Mach was or 26 or 27 when they fought and was in his prime. It was a mauling. Hughes took him down and just beat the shit out if him until their was little of him left. Mach was never really the same after that fight.

Mach was coming off a bad car accident and was not in great shape.

One of those "oh fuck" moments where you realize MMA had really evolved. Royce laying there helpless against a white belt.
Calling Hughes a "white belt" is a little hyperbolic and misleading. Hughes was a monster in all grappling aspects.

He looked like it would be like wrestling a fire hydrant

I love how people thank that guys that have never been WW champ's in the UFC could even try to hold there own with the second greatest welterweight of all time.

It would be a behind the barn GNP and Hughes would have a country breakfast afterwards.

Hughes would likely get out wrestled by Askren but beat Khabib if we are just talking a wrestling match. In an MMA fight, I would give the nod to Hughes over both. When a fighter gets old and starts to lose, it really doesn't mean a new generation of MMA fighters with great new skills has arrived. It means not a lot has changed and people just get old.

Yeah any sane person should assume a lightweight would beat the second greatest welterweight of all time. Khabib couldn't get Tibau down he certainly wouldn't get a prime Hughes down.
this.

Back