How good was Prime Hughes as a wrestler? Better than Khabib or Askren?

The thing with Hughes is that we could GnP you or submit you. Askren and Khabib might be better pure wreslters, though that is a debate. But Hughes was far more scary and devestating. Askren just lay on you for 15-25 minutes.

Tibau was in the UFC when Hughes was champ.

yeah but he wasnt that good then and had just debuted the year Hughes lost his belt. That Tibau would lose to him.

I agree with the last part. Hard to compare.
Both would wreck hughes in wrestling, MMA and any sort of grappling competition. Hughes had good control and submission game, but both funky and the eagle are much better at those aspects.

Khabib's top game is nowhere near as good as Hughes' was. There's a reason he had to take Trujillo down 20+ times in a 3 round fight.

Better than Khabib or Askren? YES.

The sport has evolved and even the rules have changed. So hard to really compare.

What? Based on his high school wrestling record? Askren has a MUCH better collegiate record. He went 45 and 0 his junior year on his way to the title.

The thing with Hughes is that we could GnP you or submit you. Askren and Khabib might be better pure wreslters, though that is a debate. But Hughes was far more scary and devestating. Askren just lay on you for 15-25 minutes.

You haven't been watching Askren these last few years, have you?

Hughes was very good, a bull and a beast, but not at the level of Khabib or Askren IMO

What? Based on his high school wrestling record? Askren has a MUCH better collegiate record. He went 45 and 0 his junior year on his way to the title.

SEC wrestling by and large is a joke. The only sport the SEC truly excels in is Football.

As someone who watches and follows college wrestling, i can assure you Askren would mop the floor with Hughes or Khabib in a wrestling match

Khabib might be a better MMA grappler than Hughes (could go either way on that one), i think prime Hughes would win a wrestling match

Prime Hughes was a beast !!! Just think the level of wrestling now a days is so much higher in mma since everybody cross-trains.
Wouldn't the level be lower because of cross-training as opposed to focused wrestling?

its hard to compare the 3 because of the time frame and achievements they've had in their sports. Hughes comes from an era when some collegiate wrestlers turned to mma for a source of income. Askren was part of that first wave of high level NCAA studs that hit the scene, highly decorated in freestyle and is also a BJJ wiz. And Khabib uses sambo/judo as a base for grappling

Last edited:
Prime Hughes was one dimensional and wouldn't even be a top 5 WW today. One of GSP's most overrated wins in his overrated resume.
Same can be said about khabib

You say that like WWs back then weren't like the size of LWs today. Weight cutting is one of the few quantifiable evolutions in the sport.
Quantify it with Hughes.

I don't think guys today cut much more on average than a guy like Hughes. He may not be the extreme on a cut as of today, but it's hard for me to believe he didn't walk around 190-200. But I have no evidence, so I would love to see something that contradicts my beliefs.

Quantify it with Hughes.

I don't think guys today cut much more on average than a guy like Hughes. He may not be the extreme on a cut as of today, but it's hard for me to believe he didn't walk around 190-200. But I have no evidence, so I would love to see something that contradicts my beliefs.

he did cut a lot. but his frame was smaller than a lot of LWs today. I mean, GSP was probably cutting from the same amount when they fought a second time and third time and he EASILY tossed him around.

Prime Hughes was one dimensional and wouldn't even be a top 5 WW today. One of GSP's most overrated wins in his overrated resume.

Literally everything about your post is idiotic drivel.

Back