How does Stipe Vs Jones still make sense ?

rstringer

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Douche white says it's the fight to make but how the fuck so? Usually interim champ fights the champ.

The fight against Stipe is now even less of a feather in Jone's hat.

If anything , if Jones is going to be out for a while , Stipe should fight Asp who is unblemished in January or earlier and have the winner fight Jones.

But Jones Vs Stipe makes zero sense now.

Thoughts?

And boom goes the dynamite!

It doesn't. Whichever belt gets defended at 300 is the one I will recognize. Ideally it's Jon vs Tom.

From a historical standpoint it makes sense. UFC’s greatest heavyweight vs UFC’s greatest fighter.

"MMA GOAT versus Heavyweight GOAT blah blah isn't Jones fuckin' awesome yada yada definitely the fight to make blah blah" or some other stream-of-consciousness style of ramble from Dana, I expect.

In other words, it doesn't make sense. It never really did because Stipe is coming off a loss and continuously refuses to take contender fights rather than being handed title bouts on a silver platter. However, it makes even less sense now because we have an actual interim champ and the entire point of an interim belt is to unify it with the undisputed strap ASAP.

There is no defending this fight from a logical standpoint. It's just catering to Jones and Miocic (primarily the former because he's the titleholder and the A-side I imagine) while the UFC makes a cash grab on two fighters with big name value before they retire.

The only reason it makes sense is because it's the only fight that either guy is interested in. Seems very obvious it's a double retirement fight.

Why do people say Jones vs Stipe doesn't make sense but then go on to say "it should be Aspinall vs Stipe". You'd literally have the same situation being that a 42 year old Stipe is being cherry picked. The UFC is dead set on Jones vs Stipe and the 2 aren't likely to fight anyone else but eachother

It didn’t back then and it won’t next summer. Let stipe have his final fight and pay him well. Win or lose he sets off into retirement after

If Dana was smart, he would make Stipe v Aspinall right now

No matter who wins, the Jones fight is bigger. If stipe gets another win over a young guy, the Jones fight is WAY bigger than it was
Stipe is coming off getting finished.
He doesn't deserve a title shot, regardless of legacy. You might as well put in Arlovski or Fedor then.
Stipe should fight a freaking contender: Almeida or Gane.

The whole thing is a joke.
I bet Jones's recovery takes longer than anticipated. Stipe is sitting around like Micheal Chandler.

It doesn't make sense at all. Dana is being a bitch and holding up the entire HW division just so he can get the Jones and Stipe fight and he can stroke his ego if/when Jon beats Stipe and say "Jon is the true greatest HW of all time because he beat both of Francis' best wins".

From a historical standpoint it makes sense. UFC’s greatest heavyweight vs UFC’s greatest fighter.
No it doesn't UFC greatest has been heavy weight, against UFC's asterisk goat who is ducking younger , stronger competition.

Why do people say Jones vs Stipe doesn't make sense but then go on to say "it should be Aspinall vs Stipe". You'd literally have the same situation being that a 42 year old Stipe is being cherry picked. The UFC is dead set on Jones vs Stipe and the 2 aren't likely to fight anyone else but eachother
It would only make sense if Jones has to seat out longer and due to the fact that Stipe is getting the interim champ and not the "real" champ after being out for so long.

I met Stipe last night at 295 and asked him abt it, he said Jon's injury isn't as bad as advertised and recovery should only be ~6 months. He's put on some muscle too, said he's around 245 atm. Dude was super genuine and cool as hell.
So he rather seats out 6 months instead of taking Asp sooner?

Back