How big was tupac back then?

He wasn't that big until he started to pretend he was from Oakland. Previously his name was MC New York.

His rhymes were always simple and one of the worst beat pickers in hip hop.
That was like a nick name he was given before he even started really rapping. When he first came to the Bay Area he was living in Marin City and also stayed in Santa Rosa with Ray Luv when they had a group called "Strictly Dope". He then linked up with Digital Underground from Oakland. He wasn't "pretending he was from Oakland" he was part of the scene.

Tupac's albums have amazing production, not sure what the hell you're talking about.

*EDIT - This thread is old as hell but got necro'd...

He wasn't that big at all, half of those who are claiming that he was like Michael Jackson of hip hop clearly don't know shit and shouldn't talk about music.
Fuck are you talking about? Tupac was massive from '93-'96. Saying "he wasn't that big at all" I think you are the one that don't know shit and should probably be quiet... Where are you from?

Last edited:
Not in EU he wasn't the revisionist history is amazing
he was fairly well known in the UK but over here the whole G-Funk and west coast thing was a lot more commercial than East Coast hip hop.
If you spoke to the average music/radio listener here in the UK back then, most wouldn't have known who he was.

Most heads weren't bumping that west coast shit in public and it wasn't on underground hip hop radio shows.
The likes of Snoop and Dre were hitting the commercial radio playlists and back then that didn't sit well with those that had been down since the early days
Even the likes of Tim Westwood didn't play west coast hip hop.
Back then you didn't put that west coast sound on your mix tapes either. That's not to say I didn't listen personally, I was and still am a huge Geto Boys/MC Eiht/8Ball MJG etc fan

I remember phoning Mr Bongo and asking if they had that Hit Em Up joint, was basically told to fuck off

He was on the cusp of becoming big only because hip hop was on the cusp of becoming big, but nothing would have made him as big as his death did

I mean the actual shooters are not that interesting to me. If I had to bet, I'd say it were the Patton brothers (Malcolm and Danny) and Donald Smith, who was also known as Lil Half Dead.
Ain't no way Lil 1/2 Dead killed Pac, that theory is dumb as hell.

Side note, Lil 1/2 Dead dropped two of the best G-Funk albums of all time. He's also Snoop Dogg's cousin...

Ain't no way Lil 1/2 Dead killed Pac, that theory is dumb as hell.

Side note, Lil 1/2 Dead dropped two of the best G-Funk albums of all time. He's also Snoop Dogg's cousin...

It's about as dumb or smart as saying that Orlando Anderson did it. The level of evidence is the same... No witnesses, no finger prints, no confession, no nothing.

It's about as dumb or smart as saying that Orlando Anderson did it. The level of evidence is the same... No witnesses, no finger prints, no confession, no nothing.
The fact that Orlando got beat down that same night is a bit more convincing, and he was generally a piece of shit human. Lil 1/2 Dead ain't that kinda guy. Granted, anything could be possible but I think that is very unlikely. The theory also implicates Lil 1/2 Dead's cousin Snoop Dogg and that's beyond far fetched.

The fact that Orlando got beat down that same night is a bit more convincing, and he was generally a piece of shit human. Lil 1/2 Dead ain't that kinda guy. Granted, anything could be possible but I think that is very unlikely. The theory also implicates Lil 1/2 Dead's cousin Snoop Dogg and that's beyond far fetched.
We all think it's Orlando Anderson but has it been officially solved?

We all think it's Orlando Anderson but has it been officially solved?
It was solved in the streets. Orlando Anderson got what was coming to him.

We're dealing with people that don't talk to police. Their was never going to be an official solved case.

It was solved in the streets. Orlando Anderson got what was coming to him.

We're dealing with people that don't talk to police. Their was never going to be an official solved case.
That's what I figured.

I remember him being big in the 90s but I was never big rap fan when I was in high school.

I did like Poetic Justice though.

Every record he put out when he was still alive went gold or platinum. He was a star even before his profile skyrocketed after joining Death Row. He was in movies and on magazine covers.

For everyone interested in the murder case, which I talked about in this thread a while ago... there's this guy called Michael Douglas Carlies who's been on the case for years. And he's putting up a lot of interesting info on his YouTube channel...

... Don't believe the media with their recent Keefe D. bullcrap. He's just the newest guy being framed....but the case is way deeper.

Back