Holy Gracie Combatives

I dont learn striking. Although I have before. The Gracie Jiu Jitsu blue belt cirricullum is designed to beat a striker by just using pure Gracie Jiu Jitsu. All i was saying is I want them to show me they could beat a solid athletic stronger striker using there jiu jitsu and if they wanted to test me then they could put the gloves on and try to strike me and I would use pure Gracie Jiu Jitsu to win.

Yea but that doesn't make sense. Other people aren't arguing that their pure striking can beat your pure Jiu-Jitsu, they are saying that their: method of learning and Jiu-Jitsu is better then yours. That means you should roll to prove your point.

However if you are of the opinion that adding in striking changes things, and 'sport' Jiu-Jitsu isn't effective in those situations, then you should have a challenge match that includes strikes, so you can exploit your opponents vulnerabilities. That means that you should fight under MMA rules, with no time limits.

Last edited:
to OP: why do you care ? can't people mind their own business ? if thats what they wanna do then let them. i think you just wanted to make another thread so you have something to do at work or something. OH watch out the boss is coming minimize minimize !

I wouldnt Roll. I would more than likely lose if I ROLLED with a sportive blue belt who does competitions and most of the things they learn is subs and counters w/o being set up by strikes.
Not sure why you keep saying this, it's definitely not true. Position before submission. Most of the things we learn are sweeps, reversals, transitions, positions. Some instructors, like Saulo take this to the extreme in their teaching because they believe the submission is an end product, not something you start with.

I believe somewhere on this thread or on another GC thread that I went through my training log over the last six months and found that over 70% of the instruction that I had received in that duration was non-submission/submission counter material.

Secondly, if I ever rolled with a sportive blue belt I would not give you the opportunity to beat me cuz I would play stall ball the whole time especially if you were in my gaurd. I would play absolutely positively no offense and just hold you down never give you an opportunity to win.
Regaining posture from inside the opponent's guard is something most schools teach you from day 1. I highly doubt you would be able to clamp down a sportive blue, since they've been dealing with other blues and above in school and competition who break them down in guard and look for control. Also, there are guard breaks you can do with your posture broken anyway, so it's not like you can just sit there all day regardless.

I wouldnt Roll. I would more than likely lose if I ROLLED with a sportive blue belt who does competitions and most of the things they learn is subs and counters w/o being set up by strikes. Everything I have learned is set up by strikes. I dont know hardly any submissions without strikes being thrown. I have just learned how to beat a striker and about 5 lessons in the mastercycle.

Secondly, if I ever rolled with a sportive blue belt I would not give you the opportunity to beat me cuz I would play stall ball the whole time especially if you were in my gaurd. I would play absolutely positively no offense and just hold you down never give you an opportunity to win. I would make them so frustrated that they would end up quitting or wasting all there energy, or putting thereselves in a bad situation for me to beat them. I would play defense the whole time and not move. You would have to roll with me for two hours if thats how long it took I wouldnt do anything. Thats the name of the game. DEFENSE.

Thirdly, this is what I would do since you all say your schools are not sportive. I know you all can roll, im not interested in that. I would put gloves on and I would come at you trying to knock your head off, kick you, do whatever I could. I wouldnt use BJJ at all! All I would be interested in is to see if you could beat an athletic strong striker as easy as you claim. I would go all out though and try knock your head off. I would be smart about my strikes though. Then we could reverse rolls and you not use BJJ and try to knock my head off. Thats what I do everyday with my training partner.

Ok. Since youre backing down on the roll.

What about a fight? An MMA match? Street fight? Whatever rules you want. 4oz gloves, 8oz gloves, no gloves, w.e.

Same weight? Lighter? Heavier? W/E you want. It has to be another blue belt, or higher if you want.

No excuses, no bullshit. Open invite from me. So just come in, be cool, handle business. Only thing I want is to film it. You win, i post it. I win, i post it. Im about 20lbs lighter than you, but im down. If not, ive got just the 170lber in mind for you. Hes a blue belt. Has only competed about 3 times.

Game?

Last edited:
wow, it's on! just curious did you have to get permission from marcelo to issue this challenge invite?

wow, it's on! just curious did you have to get permission from marcelo to issue this challenge invite?

Its just a personal challenge from me. If i dont meet the requirements, my buddy said he would step up since he is closer in size. Its really got nothing to do with gym. Its a bit more personal. I edited my post. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, im in no position to speak for the team. Dont know WTH i was thinking before asking first. I havent gotten to train for the last 2weeks, Ive have a horrible flu, but ill be bringing it up when i see him on monday.

For now, Im just speaking for myself, and my bro.

But the offer still stands.

God you're a lame. Yes it was a cow, thanks for the correction. But then you go on to compare a joke that had nothing to do with the debate, it was a joke regarding the thread & you try to tie it into the debate.

The joke's on you, buddy. You need to get your facts straight(oh shit! see, there was a point!).

Its just a personal challenge from me. If i dont meet the requirements, my buddy said he would step up since he is closer in size. Its really got nothing to do with gym. Its a bit more personal. I edited my post. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, im in no position to speak for the team. Dont know WTH i was thinking before asking first. I havent gotten to train for the last 2weeks, Ive have a horrible flu, but ill be bringing it up when i see him on monday.

For now, Im just speaking for myself, and my bro.

But the offer still stands.

A challenge to fight somebody not only from a actual gym but BTT (or should I say students that train at BTT.) Can you even post graphic videos of severe beatings on Sherdog?

A challenge to fight somebody not only from a actual gym but BTT (or should I saw students that train at BTT.) Can you even post graphic videos of severe beatings on Sherdog?

I just train at BTT. I in no way speak for the school itself, just for myself as a man with principles. A man who doesnt take kindly when his academy, and teachers are disrespected by someone who doesnt have CLUE as to what goes on inside a real gym. They mean WAY to much to me in my life to allow someone to talk shit about our academy without making them back it up.

If you want to run your mouth about BJJ schools, how no one here trains real self defense unless your a Gracie Academy School, and how all we do is roll, and we dont know what its like to get hit, kicked, elbowed, kneed, etc... Then back it up.

Im not the only one i know. I cannot speak for anyone else nor will I.

Listen man. that is great if you get out of my gaurd. Im still going to play stall ball the whole time i will probably lock my arms if you even got close to touching them. I would lock one arm and keep one arm over top your neck/head locked to my other arm (its hard to explain what im trying to say here I would have to demonstrate). I highly doubt most people on this forum would over power me. I would stay like that the whole entire time no matter if you mounted me, gaurd, or in side mount ( I would have to change my positioning if you side mounted me, but I know exactly what i would do to play defense. I dont see how you would play offense. If I control your head and lock one arm its hard for anybody to do anything unless I make a move, which I wouldnt do.

You do realize it takes energy to hold someone down, right? Second, that's not going to stop someone from opening your guard for too long. You'll end up gassing as the guy in your guard will be posting his leg to break it open. You'll probably also get a nice uncomfortable forearm across your throat too.

haha seriously man I would like to come down in the summer if im available to. I know something will open up of course, but no matter what happens im gonna try my best to play stall ball from every position. You would not over power me unless you can bench more than 255 (I went up finally) barbell curl 100 more than 8 time negative curls and im not even gonna go into my back, tri's, and shoulders lol, I neglect my legs the only workout they get is cardio, basketball, and training, so you probably have me beat on the legs lol. I am not scrawny, I am a pretty solid guy. Dont let my weight decieve you. Although yes proper technique beats strength 100 percent of the time! I will not say I would win, but I have to say you wouldnt over power me. :icon_chee

word to the wise: how much you bench wont matter. If you're bench pressing people off you, you're leaving your arms up to be attacked. When you bump someone off of you, you're mainly using your hips, and bumping them up to retain guard, or escape.

Regaining posture from inside the opponent's guard is something most schools teach you from day 1. I highly doubt you would be able to clamp down a sportive blue, since they've been dealing with other blues and above in school and competition who break them down in guard and look for control.

Funny, a few weeks ago I was training with someone who tried this whole clamp down thing. I was kind of taken aback because it had been so long since someone did this to me and it took me a second to realize they were just going to hold on like that and not move. Needless to say, once I realized what I was dealing with I was amazed at how easy it was to deal with the situation using basic principles even though I have never actually been taught specific counters for it.

Anyone who thinks that they are going to pull out a Royce Gracie vs. Dan Severn victory this way is in for a rude awakening when they realize that they aren't a black belt.

I just train at BTT. I in no way speak for the school itself, just for myself as a man with principles. A man who doesnt take kindly when his academy, and teachers are disrespected by someone who doesnt have CLUE as to what goes on inside a real gym. They mean WAY to much to me in my life to allow someone to talk shit about our academy without making them back it up.

If you want to run your mouth about BJJ schools, how no one here trains real self defense unless your a Gracie Academy School, and how all we do is roll, and we dont know what its like to get hit, kicked, elbowed, kneed, etc... Then back it up.

Im not the only one i know. I cannot speak for anyone else nor will I.

Yeah I understand where you are coming from. If somebody offered me money to walk into BTT right now and say some of the things these guys actually think I wouldn't do it. It's easier to say things when you are staring at a monitor and not an angry Brazilian.

I dont learn striking. Although I have before. The Gracie Jiu Jitsu blue belt cirricullum is designed to beat a striker by just using pure Gracie Jiu Jitsu. All i was saying is I want them to show me they could beat a solid athletic stronger striker using there jiu jitsu and if they wanted to test me then they could put the gloves on and try to strike me and I would use pure Gracie Jiu Jitsu to win.

Your lack of formal training is evident with each post you make that filled with inaccuracies and pure ignorance. It's embarrassing for us other REAL Gracie practioners when you are spouting off with that nonsense. It's very obvious to every person who trains in a true formal setting you have no clue what you are talking about or experience rolling with someone who really knows what they are doing.

Stalling? Seriously? It's obvious to me that you need a real smashing and a proper education in BJJ. Please, please change your screen name and stop throwing around the name GBJJ so liberally.

Listen man. that is great if you get out of my gaurd. Im still going to play stall ball the whole time i will probably lock my arms if you even got close to touching them. I would lock one arm and keep one arm over top your neck/head locked to my other arm (its hard to explain what im trying to say here I would have to demonstrate). I highly doubt most people on this forum would over power me. I would stay like that the whole entire time no matter if you mounted me, gaurd, or in side mount ( I would have to change my positioning if you side mounted me, but I know exactly what i would do to play defense. I dont see how you would play offense. If I control your head and lock one arm its hard for anybody to do anything unless I make a move, which I wouldnt do.

1. Don't you think all of us who actually do BJJ haven't seen this already? I'm in my 40's, as a white belt I could get out of that kind of lockdown from bigger and stronger guys than you.
2. We have also all seen the your ideas on how to protect yourself when mounted etc. It won't save you.
3. I regularly roll against a Gracie Combatives instructor. Even he doesn't believe in the Combatives philosophy now that he trains regularly with a BJJ BB. We have people come in from Combatives and they have to re-learn the simplest things like shrimping. It sometimes take them longer to learn things because of the bad habits they have already learned.
4. Please learn to use apostrophes.
5. It is guard not "gaurd".

I'm not sure your comparison is valid. Might depend on how you define learning online. I watch videos online, I don't practice online. The very idea is silly and I really don't even know what is meant by that.

I practice the moves with other people. There is a mat, 4 walls and a roof. Seems pretty real to me.

If I were to learn swimming "online" I'd also need a pool with water in it.

About the best I can do online is to see how the move is done and try to memorize some of the important details so I can practice them later.

A few times I have watched dvd's in class on a particular position I wanted to know more about. Didn't mean much until I started to practice the move.

So what do you mean by training online?

There is no tension or pressure to online instruction and grading. Sure you might grapple with some friends, but not random ppl of different skill and different intentions. Go through a proper grading where every person you roll is making you earn your rank until you drag your sweaty carcass of the mats, exhausted, blurry eyed and nauseous.

Online instruction wont challenge you, wont make you roll with someone fresh and hungry when you're still spent from the warmup. Online grading will not teach you heart and persistance and how to harden the fuck up when the going gets tough and dig deep. This is the single most important attribute of the fighter's mindset and only a gym can deliver it. Only a gym will give you this level of challenge, pressure and mental toughness. Dynamic and competitive gyms produce fighters of steely resolve, humility and pressure tested toughness. Thats what counts in 'the streets' - whatever the fuck 'the streets' means anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
africancelary
Back