Hockey Fans Thrown Out for "Racism"

Nope, it shouldn't have been sensationalized by the media. There are far more pressing issues, but they don't fit into a single headline.

However, that doesn't mean those fans shouldn't have been ejected though. In fact, they're almost entirely unrelated - the stadium isn't responsible for how media conglomerates disseminate the narrative.

One doesn't cancel out the other.

It would be nice if arenas were consistent when it comes to removing and banning so-called fans who insult players. I have been to countless hockey games and heard players, coaches and refs called countless vulgar names and names by fans and never seen the offending fans removed.

Smith-Pelly confirmed the fans were chanting “basketball, basketball, basketball,” and understood immediately what it meant in being directed at a black hockey player in a sport dominated by white athletes. Smith-Pelly said he was confronted with a similar chant during a tournament in British Columbia.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hock...ist-taunt-from-fans-against-black-player.html

What does it mean? Even the media does not explain it.
It means you are black, stick to basketball. Hockey is white sport....not for you. Thats how I and Im sure he took it

It means you are black, stick to basketball. Hockey is white sport....not for you. Thats how I and Im sure he took it

Waaah!

313q1jl.jpg

I'm sure white basketball and NFL players never hear remarks about sticking to Nascar. Pelley gets paid millions of dollars a year for being a mediocre grinder. He needs thicker skin.

Waaah!

313q1jl.jpg

I'm sure white basketball and NFL players never hear remarks about sticking to Nascar.
Im sure they do....and saying to white basketball player stick to nascar as black person would be racist. Im not crying about anything. Im explaining how he took it and the organisation came to same conclusion. Thats why they got banned. The only people crying here are the people who dont see it as big deal while claiming everyone else is crying

Im sure they do....and saying to white basketball player stick to nascar as black person would be racist. Im not crying about anything. Im explaining how he took it and the organisation came to same conclusion. Thats why they got banned. The only people crying here are the people who dont see it as big deal while claiming everyone else is crying

The crying gif was not directed at you. It was directed at Pelley-Smith for being an oversensitive baby.

I do not agree that black fans yelling NASCAR at a white player is necessarily racist. Drunken fans say stupid nonsense all of the time to get under the opposing players skin. These same fans would be cheering for Pelley-Smith if he were on his team.

The crying gif was not directed at you. It was directed at Pelley-Smith for being an oversensitive baby.

I do not agree that black fans yelling NASCAR at a white player is necessarily racist. Drunken fans say stupid nonsense all of the time to get under the opposing players skin. These same fans would be cheering for Pelley-Smith if he were on his team.
Its raced based. When you taunt people based on their skin colour then its racist. Would a black fan chant nascar to a black player? I mean as a black guy why would I chant nascar to a white guy who has dedicated

You right...they did it to get under his skin. What better way to get under someones skin than racially taunting them? I doubt chanting of him being bad player to get under his skin would get any reaction.

Its raced based. When you taunt people based on their skin colour then its racist. Would a black fan chant nascar to a black player? I mean as a black guy why would I chant nascar to a white guy who has dedicated

You right...they did it to get under his skin. What better way to get under someones skin than racially taunting them? I doubt chanting of him being bad player to get under his skin would get any reaction.

Welcome to the real world where people often insult each other based on their race, sex, disability, religion, politics, nationality and so on. Is there something people do not mock each other about? When people try to insult each other they usually target what they think will most hurt the person.

There was no question the fans taunts were racially motivated. The question is was it insidious racism or nothing more than drunken taunts from drunken fans. Just because skin color, sex, religion, disability and so on is used in a taunt does not make it a great evil. Humans have been mocking and antagonizing each other over their differences since the beginning of people-kind. People are getting far too sensitive about this stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the real world where people often insult each other based on their race, sex, disability, religion, politics, nationality and so on. Is there something people do not mock each other about? When people try to insult each other they usually target what they think will most hurt the person.

There was no question the fans taunts were racially motivated. The question is was it insidious racism or nothing more than drunken taunts from drunken fans. Just because skin color, sex, religion, disability and so on is used in a taunt does not make it a great evil. Humans have been mocking and antagonizing each other over their differences since the beginning of people-kind. People are getting far to sensitive about this stuff.
You ask if this was drunken chant or indisious racism? But its not a question you are interested as rest of your post shows its just drunken chants. Do you know these people to say they are not real racists? And how do you know they were even drunk? They racially taunt opposition player and the team say they dont want these type of fans in their stance.

You ask if this was drunken chant or indisious racism? But its not a question you are interested as rest of your post shows its just drunken chants. Do you know these people to say they are not real racists? And how do you know they were even drunk? They racially taunt opposition player and the team say they don't want these type of fans in their stance.

The arena does not want them there because they do not want bad media coverage. They will continue to allow the fans who hurl far more nasty and vulgar insults at the players and coaches to stay.

There was no question the fans taunts were racially motivated. The question is was it insidious racism or nothing more than drunken taunts from drunken fans. Just because skin color, sex, religion, disability and so on is used in a taunt does not make it a great evil. Humans have been mocking and antagonizing each other over their differences since the beginning of people-kind. People are getting far to sensitive about this stuff.

Instead of just accepting that it happens, maybe we shouldnt and create higher standards for acceptable behavior.

Instead of just accepting that it happens, maybe we shouldnt and create higher standards for acceptable behavior.

As I have said before in previous posts, I don't have a problem with the arena moving drunken idiots who say stupid things to the athletes, but they should be more consistent when it comes to removing people. If you are going to remove people for chanting "basketball", then they should also remove the people who shout far more vulgar and nasty things at players, coaches and refs. It may be more of an enforcement issue than having to raise the standards.

ESPN really didn't cover this that much.

As I have said before in previous posts, I don't have a problem with the arena moving drunken idiots who say stupid things to the athletes, but they should be more consistent when it comes to removing people. If you are going to remove people for chanting "basketball", then they should also remove the people who shout far more vulgar and nasty things at players, coaches and refs. It may be more of an enforcement issue than having to raise the standards.

Agreed that instances like this and other over the top vulgar comments should be enforced more often. Shit talking is great, but have some decency and definitely don't start making comments because of a person's race.

Lol Basketball, thats like someone yelling Ping Pong at a Chinese hockey player. Jeremy Lin basically had whole crowds in Ivy league schools chant out "open your eyes" and calling him a small dick ch!nk yet nobody got kicked out or expelled, nor did anyone make a fuss about it. In the world series this year a player made a slant eye gesture at an asian player and didn't receive a suspension and he got a standing ovation from his home crowd. Such a hypocritical society.

Lol, fucking Basketball?!? Give me a fucking break.

In the world series this year a player made a slant eye gesture at an asian player and didn't receive a suspension and he got a standing ovation from his home crowd.

He did get suspended- but it won't take effect until this upcoming year. As a result of the unpaid suspension he will lose $322,581

The player even expressed remorse:

In a separate statement, Gurriel described his actions as "indefensible."

Indefensible - from the horse's mouth. Yet you are defending it?

Back