Hips and what they mean to me

You don't really need to turn your right foot out to push your knees apart. Especially not as far as you're doing it, it even goes past 90 several times.

Edit: Just went back and looked at a little of your sparring, and I see that there too. It's directly related to your stiff hips and leaving the back foot in the bucket problems. That foot usually gets turned out to compensate for weakness/bad mobility in that hip. A lot of things will improve if you adjust that, especially your right hand.

Last edited:
*sigh*
Which one is David?

The one in the back with the skully on.

Also, this exercise isn't so much about getting low. JUST moving the hips.

You don't really need to turn your right foot out to push your knees apart. Especially not as far as you're doing it, it even goes past 90 several times.

Edit: Just went back and looked at a little of your sparring, and I see that there too. It's directly related to your stiff hips and leaving the back foot in the bucket problems. That foot usually gets turned out to compensate for weakness/bad mobility in that hip. A lot of things will improve if you adjust that, especially your right hand.

Whoa whoa whoa.... one thing at a time.

These kids on the bags... for fuck's sake man. The minute they come off they're basically tackling the double end bag in the 1-2. Any rear cross is the end of their combination.

I'm letting them try the tile drill (or just a variation of hip movement and trunk rotation I can interpret from it) followed by select combinations. I think I'm gonna start limiting bag work with my guys that listen and start getting them in on controlled exchange drills.

Damn. I really regret stepping away from Sherdog for the last two weeks. There has been some revelatory shit going down. Great thread, guys.

Damn. I really regret stepping away from Sherdog for the last two weeks. There has been some revelatory shit going down. Great thread, guys.

Yea Connor and did you see Luis' positioning threads? Some great discussions have been going on without you man.

really good thread here, along with the hip mobility exercises is it beneficial also to work on ankle and knee mobility too? what do yous think of that?

Hell yes to ankle mobility, but knee mobility shouldn't be a problem.

work on your groin and pecs, those cause a looot of injuries, those little nagging ones.

really good thread here, along with the hip mobility exercises is it beneficial also to work on ankle and knee mobility too? what do yous think of that?

Ankle mobility, YES. That's very important to any athlete. In American Football, once you lose a certain amount of ankle mobility your career is pretty much over. Why? You become a standing target for concussions.

Knees aren't a "mobile" joint. But I'll give you a bit of insight. Knee injuries, you see people with braces on, you see people who tear knee ligaments and tendons all the time, careers end sometimes on ACL and MCL injuries. I'd take a good hard look at them PRE-injury and see how good their ankle and hip mobility was (or wasn't). Knees aren't rotational joints, they're hinge joints. They're not designed for circular motion or holding pressure IN circular motions. But they WILL move circularly (or you will force them to) if you lack ROM in either of the relevant ball-and-socket joints.

So you don't want knee mobility as much as you want knee stability. Dadi described it like this. Ankle mobility = knee stability = hip mobility = lower-back stability = shoulder mobility = neck stability.

Last edited:
Very good post. If you dont have good ankle flexibility you cannot get as low when you bend at the knees.

All of this stuff should be more talked about among everybody, It would solve a lot. Not just athletes but everyone.

We did a lot of this stuff in other sports, yet never explained anything. Dont underestimate the importance of this.

^ Agree. I mean, with this, I knew it was a huge door opened for me....

so there are basic concepts like this one out there that escape otherwise good athletes.
It took 6 or 7 pages of dialogue for me to even understand it, but now that I do, I can find it when I need it and come up with my own drills to improve it.

just finished reading through this, great thread. Hips are a problem for me also. I've been doing Agile 8 on and off for quite some time and it's helped when i'm consistent with it, but never made a really huge difference. Have never been below parallel on a squat for example.
Ankle mobility never occurred to me until one night at BJJ, i was complaining to my coach about stiffness in my hips and he got me to do a few things and immediately told me to work on my ankle mobility. He's got something like 20 years in the S&C game so I believe him. Seems like common sense now i guess.

Man wouldn't it be nice if the people who have this knowledge were more proactive about applying it? Also if it was required for people who want to be pediatricians, gym teachers, sports coaches, etc to have an understanding or at least awareness of it.

how does one improves one's ankle mobility for boxing/kickboxing?

stretch it. put ur foot against the wall and straghten out your leg, the more you bend forward the more you feel it. its one of those muscles u can do 1 min + static stretching on. btw get a board who stands like this / <- and put ur foot on the board for even more stretch. be careful though, if you stretch it too much you can easily get pain. slow process

Tug, a cheap and easy one is to do a classic calf stretch.... but start bending your knee. It stretches the smaller muscle in the calf and opens up the door for ankle flexibility. It doesn't "burn" like the straight legged stretch.

nice, thanks guys. i've realised i don't have anything in my stretching routine at the moment so will add these in

Back