Hips and what they mean to me

Well, that's one of the reasons I have my fighters do the tile exercise every day. The body is kind of funny about certain things, if you have stiff hips for example...your hips won't want to move at first. Your body will make the motion happen by bending your knees more, rotating your trunk more, using your lower-back more. But doing small isolated movements that make the hip move, at first the body resists it (tension). Once it gets conditioned to the movement the body will "remember" what the hips are designed for. Like a baby doing a squat:

"
You'd be surprised how similar chopping wood (Foreman) and say, swinging a sledge-hammer (Liston), when done with specific form, are to punching. I'll give you a hint, it centers around hip rotation, and how the weight moves.
"

This might be a stupid question but is "hunching" the hip when slipping/doing the tile drill/ loading a punch :

a hip movement like a sledgehammer/kettlebell swing?
or
or a hip movement more of a squatting motion?

squat-vs-hinge-800x418.jpg

Last edited:
Would I be surprised?

My fighters do sledge-hammer work, on Sonny Liston's old tire itself.

Mosley always had stiff hips. Almost every time he's ever been hurt in boxing (and he was still very difficult to hurt despite this), you can see his stiffness immediately after being hurt:

His hips just aren't and never were flexible. At lighter weights, where no one was strong enough to hurt him, it didn't matter. But it sure came into effect later. And it interrupted his ability to defend himself.

In fact you can SEE hip-mobility playing a factor in that fight when Canelo would land. He'd take an angle using his own more flexible hips, Shane wouldn't move, and he'd fire. If Shane's speed and power didn't keep you at bay, or you could neutralize it, you could use his lack of ability to change positions against him. In his younger days he relied solely on his legs, stepping in and out.

Contrast that to Marquez whose ability to use his flexible hips when he's hurt almost always got him out of trouble and led to KO's:

He was never the "cover up and hope the other guy leaves you alone" kind of fighter. He was more of a "take an angle and hit the guy back harder than he hit you" guy.

giphy.gif

Agreed he could have done with some yoga stretches and some dancing lessons in zumba

Back