Hips and what they mean to me

*Le sigh* I am back to not understanding. I am clumsily putting together that "using my hips" means sitting down and back more, since I won't be sitting down except when I'm not scoring points... I don't understand how to translate this to something I can use.

*Le sigh* I am back to not understanding. I am clumsily putting together that "using my hips" means sitting down and back more, since I won't be sitting down except when I'm not scoring points... I don't understand how to translate this to something I can use.

I don't know why you would think that you only use the hips when not scoring, because the best time to hit a guy with the full brunt of your force is when your hips are engaged and your weight is down.

Fold the hips, use the motion of the joint. That's not just wiggling them side to side via leg-turning. Use the joint to facilitate upper-body movement that changes distance/creates angles.

One thing you could do is start using an over/under rope, but where some people make the mistake is they only punch when they stand up, not when their hips are at different elevations. Watch the kid using the rope:

Sometimes he punches at the highest elevation point, but sometimes he uses the hip-motion to facilitate punching.

I will study these posts and this video carefully and try to reproduce the concept, instead of just mimicking the motion exactly.

I have learned when I am too tall in the hips, I can certainly say that, but I am still fuzzy on the difference between letting the legs do the work and letting the hips do the work. I will follow up.

If your knees bend and your legs move more than your hips fold, the legs are doing the work. If you can bend your hips with minimal movement of your legs and no strain on your lower-back, then your hips are doing the work.

How'd you manage to get a hold of one of those hats with the ball and string attached to it?

This leads me to imagine "table-topping" my back like a low-bar from your description.

When we talk about hip motion, we talk about flexion and extension... but what about abduction and adduction? I'm talking about pulling myself around by twisting my leg. If I stood on one leg and tried to make my upper body rotate by turning my foot and leg... that's what I'm talking about. Should I be using this?

Abduction and adduction wouldn't rotate your body, they just move your legs side to side. Internal and external rotation at the hips are what twist your legs.

^Yes, this is what I'm talking about. Is that what I should be attempting to include??

To some degree yea but hip flexion is the more important ingredient.

You're overthinking this, Adam. Which I totally understand, because I do the same shit. Took me ages to learn to drive a stick, for example.

Try to cut down on all the other movements. I think in your haste to understand HOW to apply this you're trying to combine the movements with everything else right off the bat. Just use the tile exercise in its most basic form. Don't lift your heels, don't pivot your feet. Just sit down over your back heel, keep both feet flat, and try to fold your hips as you slightly turn your upper body.

It took me a looong time of doing just that simple movement before my hips loosened up enough to add the other facets. But, like riding a bike, I can do the movement even after spells of inactivity now, even if it tires me right the fuck out to do so.

Keep it simple. When you see the angles for yourself (say, have someone stand in stance in front of you while you do your tile exercise) you'll start to see the applications. Once you get the hips moving correctly, you can't help but see the openings the movements create for you, like "Ah! There's the left hook to the liver, and there's the slip of the jab, and there's the right hand to the body." It'll come.

Alright, I'm looking at the guy using the slip rope. I'm not seeing it. He looks like he's more bending at the waist than bending at the knee.

Alright, I'm looking at the guy using the slip rope. I'm not seeing it. He looks like he's more bending at the waist than bending at the knee.

He doesn't have to bend his knees much because he's bending at the hips.

You said precisely what I said to see. Using the hips so the legs don't bear the brunt of the work. Hence more waist, less knee.

I had this strange feeling you guys were going to say that...

I've gone my whole boxing life thinking bending at the waist was an issue to be corrected. From a brief recap it sounds like the important part is keeping a strong back and not getting humpy like a hunchback.

Now what I'm really confused about is how you can utilize bending at the waist to facilitate punching. Keeping a bent knee has been more than helpful in this for me, but with what I understand about connective kinetics, having your upper body in a more "prone" position takes a bit of the twisting benefit out. I guess just start from scratch with that.

I had this strange feeling you guys were going to say that...

I've gone my whole boxing life thinking bending at the waist was an issue to be corrected. From a brief recap it sounds like the important part is keeping a strong back and not getting humpy like a hunchback.

Now what I'm really confused about is how you can utilize bending at the waist to facilitate punching. Keeping a bent knee has been more than helpful in this for me, but with what I understand about connective kinetics, having your upper body in a more "prone" position takes a bit of the twisting benefit out. I guess just start from scratch with that.

I mean, it depends what you mean by "waist." If you mean the place where your mom asked you to wear your pants when you were a kid, then that's not right. That would mean bending your back.

If you mean the place where you actually wear your pants, then that's correct. It's not bending so much as folding. Don't curl from one side to the next; fold the hip joint itself.

Last edited:
I mean, it depends what you mean by "waist." If you mean the place where your mom asked you too wear your pants when you were a kid, then that's not right. That would mean bending your back.

If you mean the place where you actually wear your pants, then that's correct. It's not bending so much as folding. Don't curl from one side to the next; fold the hip joint itself.

This is getting into men's fashion and could confuse 'doggers.

I'm a thug who wears my pants below my ass. Hence the confusion.

Check in time. I actually felt this was a shitty round compared to my prior 6, and that this camera angle wasn't flattering my level changes properly... but I'll let you guys be the judges. I was trying to stay stable, stay relaxed, work some angles, and unload some short power combinations periodically. Lmk... and in regards to the hips, be specific. Thank you in advance.

Back