Help me in demanding a pay raise

Do a little research to see what someone in your position, location and level of experience makes. Is your industry close knit enough that if you started applying to other places it would get back to you boss? If it is, I'd go talk to them and tell them exactly what you just told us, your concerns and reasoning seem legit. If they wouldn't, I'd apply to some other places and at least get a better gauge of what is the going rate and benefits for the industry. You said this was your first job, so your open market value now if vastly different than it was when you first started working there as long as you've been there more than six months unless you are a total piece of crap that's dragging everyone down. Also why did the other people leave, was it purely for more money or are there issues with the company. These are all things to take into consideration.

Truth is people rarely stay at the company they first start, and to be honest you'll probably get a better monetary offer from another company than your current one, unless you are really a rising star and/or they are really hard up. Problem with the "hard up" companies is that it's a big burden put on you that in most cases isn't comparable to the salary they pay you.

The thing is that the people in this thread are keeping everything going so their employers figures they don't need anybody and can hire somebody else to do the same.

I'd fire you for even thinking about asking for a raise

What value have you brought to your job? As a boss, I like to see stats. Are my numbers up? Is the morale of my office high? If so, show me the stats and show me how you directly contributed to those numbers. Also, what's your plan to take the business to the next level? Basically I'm asking, "why the hell should I give you a raise?"

Make yourself indispenisble as a worker, and things like raises and promotions start to come your way. If you're seeking other employment, I wouldn't be willing to give you a raise. Seeking other employment tells me you're not a part of the team.

If you think you're worth the additional wages then go in there and tell them. If not just look for a new job.

Do a little research to see what someone in your position, location and level of experience makes. Is your industry close knit enough that if you started applying to other places it would get back to you boss? If it is, I'd go talk to them and tell them exactly what you just told us, your concerns and reasoning seem legit. If they wouldn't, I'd apply to some other places and at least get a better gauge of what is the going rate and benefits for the industry. You said this was your first job, so your open market value now if vastly different than it was when you first started working there as long as you've been there more than six months unless you are a total piece of crap that's dragging everyone down. Also why did the other people leave, was it purely for more money or are there issues with the company. These are all things to take into consideration.

Truth is people rarely stay at the company they first start, and to be honest you'll probably get a better monetary offer from another company than your current one, unless you are really a rising star and/or they are really hard up. Problem with the "hard up" companies is that it's a big burden put on you that in most cases isn't comparable to the salary they pay you.
It's my first job and I've been working here for almost 3 years.
Those people left was because of both money and issues with the new management of the company

Asking for a pay raise seems pathetic really... Get a job with a decent union. I get an automatic pay pay raise every 7 months or so. + COLA.

I don't post here often, but I can relate to this one so here's my take.

I'm also a developer supporting complex systems. I'm a senior programmer on a application support team. I fix and upgrade the systems when needed.

When I joined this team we were 3 developers supporting 4 systems.
System A - not supper complex but breaks down all the time,
System B - Pretty complex but never has issues.
System C - Very complex, lots of support time.
System D - Most complex app I've ever worked on and consistently has upgrades or added features.

Like I said we were 3 developers on this. 2 left and I'm now on my own, the intention is to get at least one more developer to help, but I've been hearing this for 3 years now. I'm still the only developer on this team.

I've never asked for a Raise! I get a good pay already, could be better sure, other I work with get paid more, sure.. I do the job of 3 developers right now, and my managers know it. I stepped up, and they know it. My reputation at work is I can handle my work load and I'm dependable, I don't complain and work is done on time. I like my job right now, but when a job opportunity comes up, when a promotion could come up, how good do you think my chances will be at getting that job? Better then some fore sure..

You're 23, you're just starting your career. The scenario you're in, it happens, its not fair, deal with it.. Asking for a 10% or even 20% raise just because your work just got difficult is probably way too much. I'm 38 now, I started my IT career around your age, I've been in your shoes many times.

Step up, do the work, it will pay out in the end. Hard work always pays off..

Cliff notes: work harder. Nose down, ass up and get to work. If you’re good at your job, higher pay will come without asking for it.

Cliff notes: work harder. Nose down, ass up and get to work. If you’re good at your job, higher pay will come without asking for it.
No, the management doesn't seem to care about loyal employees.

Boss said "if you're with the company for so long, then thank you. Don't expect for some raise, because your work is the same with the new ones."

No, the management doesn't seem to care about loyal employees.

Boss said "if you're with the company for so long, then thank you. Don't expect for some raise, because your work is the same with the new ones."

Those were the cliffs for that poster I quoted.

But yeah what you wrote means that your company doesn’t value what you do and you are highly expendable.

Move on if you want to keep progressing with your career. I quit a couple of companies to advance further, and things have improved drastically.

It's my first job and I've been working here for almost 3 years.
Those people left was because of both money and issues with the new management of the company
It sounds to me like your best option is to move on. The market appears to be competitive with the number of people that have already left, also a new management tells me they didn't promote from within, so unless there is something you are leaving out, I'd get that resume up to date and make sure your job interview suit still fits.

Back