Help me in demanding a pay raise

CodeBreaker

What belt?
@Brown
Reaction score
This is my first job, so I never had any experience or idea about it. I'm only 23 yrs of age and here is the reason why I want a raise, and is it reasonable?

I'm a developer and our dev team was composed of 5 people. We support 2 systems so we divided it. 2 developer supports the System A, and the other 2 supports the System B, while the last one partially supports both systems. So just this month, 2 dev resigned, one from each system. And just this week, the guy who supports both resigned too. Only one dev is left for each system, we are only 2 left, so how can you still call it a Support dev team? All the responsibilities of those who left were turnovered to us, and I think it is becoming too much.

How much % is the realistic demand for a pay raise? 10%? or 15%? Or is it still reasonable for 20%? Or should I just continue with my plan to resign too and look for a better job out there that pays more than what I currently have.

Depends on what your current pay is compared to others who do similar work. A large spike in workload could reasonably turn into a proportionate increase in pay, but all comes down to what value you bring. How easy would you be to replace?

Just look for a new job. The model now is take on more shit and don't get paid or promoted for it.

I think the most reliable way to get a pay raise would be to start looking for another job that pays a little bit more. Even if you don't intend on leaving, if you tell your boss that you have a higher paying job offer he may at least match it or offer even more if he needs you bad enough.

I don't think complaining or telling them it isn't "fair" that you are doing more work for the same amount of money is going to get you anywhere.

Tell your boss you're a Sherdogger. He'll accept his role as the beta can and will elevate you to company CEO overlord

Depends on what your current pay is compared to others who do similar work. A large spike in workload could reasonably turn into a proportionate increase in pay, but all comes down to what value you bring. How easy would you be to replace?
I'm supporting a one whole system, which is supposed to be supported by a team of at least 3 developers. Learning about the system takes much time if they ever want to replace me.

Use electrical tape to tape together about 24 really old phone batteries to a black vest. Buy some colored wire, tin foil and take apart a digital alarm clock. Use the foil and some tape to connect the wires to the batteries, and then to the face of the alarm clock. Wear it, and bring a partly disassembled car key remote with you.

Then just casually sit down and explain to them you feel you deserve more money for taking on more responsibility.

Just go and be honest about your concerns. If your company is expecting you to take on that much more responsibility, you deserve to be compensated in turn.

But find another job opportunity first. If they deny the raise, you know you're working for people who don't respect your value to the company.

And give a high-end salary expectation. If they're willing to give you a raise, it'll give you negotiating room. Don't ask for your lowest reasonable raise amount.

With unemployment at record lows, a good option is to get a better offer elsewhere and negotiate from there.

This seems pretty straightforward and you can justify the raise. You are doing the work of 3 people and should be compensated for it. I would definitely go in there and tell them to pay you or you are giving your two week notice right now (not sure what country you are in but 2 weeks is customary in US). I guess you could be bullish about it and say give me the raise or I walk right now but the 2 weeks will give you some time to land a new job.

This is my first job, so I never had any experience or idea about it. I'm only 23 yrs of age and here is the reason why I want a raise, and is it reasonable?

I'm a developer and our dev team was composed of 5 people. We support 2 systems so we divided it. 2 developer supports the System A, and the other 2 supports the System B, while the last one partially supports both systems. So just this month, 2 dev resigned, one from each system. And just this week, the guy who supports both resigned too. Only one dev is left for each system, we are only 2 left, so how can you still call it a Support dev team? All the responsibilities of those who left were turnovered to us, and I think it is becoming too much.

How much % is the realistic demand for a pay raise? 10%? or 15%? Or is it still reasonable for 20%? Or should I just continue with my plan to resign too and look for a better job out there that pays more than what I currently have.

Did you try watching him jerk off or like suck his D? It worked wonders for Rose McGowan. Perhaps let Marilyn Manson give you the old rectal roto-router.

Honestly just be frank about your value to the company at the current moment.

If you quit they can not run that part of their business until they hire someone else. And unless they give a pay raise proportional to what you asked for to the other guy, he's going to quit too. Now they need to hire 2 people to maintain their current status quo. and it's likely those people will either quit or be incompetent due to being new or the stressors of doing a three man teams job.

You're the safe bet. You running a 2.5 man team solo saves them 200% of your salary costs. Ask for 25%.

how long have you been there?

are they going to hire new people for those roles that people resigned from?

I'm the boss at my work and I turn down people for raises all the time.

It always makes me laugh how people justify it.
"But I work hard"
"But I've had to do extra stuff"
"But I've been here for a long time"

I tell them no, and they go back to work for their same old pay for years, and never bring it up again.

I'm able to pull this off because these people fail to do 2 things.

Here is your lesson in negotiation.

1. Make yourself irreplaceable. If you haven't done this through hard work and increasing expertise over the years then you have no right to even ask for a raise, because they can replace you.

2. Next up, the REAL secret to negotiation... Be willing to walk away. Let him know that you're happy to stay on if you get xx amount of money, but if not, it's no longer worth it to get paid the same to do the work of 3 people. And if he says no, then you have to back up your threat. You have to quit.

Good luck bro. I'm sure you're going to fail though, because everyone always thinks they're irreplaceable when they are not.

I'm the boss at my work and I turn down people for raises all the time.

It always makes me laugh how people justify it.
"But I work hard"
"But I've had to do extra stuff"
"But I've been here for a long time"

I tell them no, and they go back to work for their same old pay for years, and never bring it up again.

I'm able to pull this off because these people fail to do 2 things.

Here is your lesson in negotiation.

1. Make yourself irreplaceable. If you haven't done this through hard work and increasing expertise over the years then you have no right to even ask for a raise, because they can replace you.

2. Next up, the REAL secret to negotiation... Be willing to walk away. Let him know that you're happy to stay on if you get xx amount of money, but if not, it's no longer worth it to get paid the same to do the work of 3 people. And if he says no, then you have to back up your threat. You have to quit.

Good luck bro. I'm sure you're going to fail though, because everyone always thinks they're irreplaceable when they are not.
Thanks for your input.

Learning everything about this whole system takes time, and I'm the only one left supporting it, when it's supposed to be supported by at least 3 people. Hope they can find a replacement as quick as possible, because complex systems like this needs ample amount of time to get familiar with. I agree, I will start looking for my threat lol

I think in a side conversation with a boss mention how you had a few emails about other positions and one of them might be paying 15% more and it has peaked your interest but you like this company and your work. See what their response is then play from there. Or find another job offer which is easy and tell them you want whatever raise or your taking the other job and be willing to leave.

How good is your relationship with your boss? If its good and you trust him, tell him you have received several inquiries via linkedin or somewhere else. Tell him you have received an offer for significantly more money, and you are considering taking it, but you wanted to talk to him first. Tel him you wanted to talk to him first before you put in your notice, because you know they are so understaffed and will need time to replace yourself if you can't come to an agreement.

If your not friendly use the same strategy, but tell him if not, you be putting your notice by the end of the week. And be prepared to do so, sometimes after you put in your notice, is when you will get that offer. I once left a job, and 3 days before was 2 weeks was up, they offered a 20% increase and pay. I kindly refused said I already accepted another position and didn't feel like my contribution was being appreciated. They called me back 2 more time over the next 6 week, until finally I had a 40% raise, a more defined company role and overall less responsibilities, and generous stock package. You gotta be prepared to make the move though, so hopefully you give yourself a little financially cushion if you are out of work for a bit.

Back