Hearts of Iron IV: World War II Grand Strategy (UPDATE March 2018 - New DLC)

By success do you mean you conquered the world?

Ah no. But we ended the wars, and I ended with the highest score as well as finishing my initial goal when I started the game, which was to completely conquer the America's.

I went back and finished the second fascist game I had but didn't go as well. The biggest difference was that instead of invading Canada first, I went for Cuba to get their chromium. Then I decided to go into Venezuela, partially for their oil but also so I could take the British/French provinces that have a ton of aluminum right there. But those damn Venezuelans kept me at bay for nearly 3 years. At that point Germany was getting beat up so I had to give up my hopes for the America's and go take the UK, which was relatively easy once I conquered Ireland. Once I took them the war ended.

It's kind of interesting, because it's not like Civilization where you have "victory conditions". And for some countries, world domination isn't a viable strategy. So I try to come up with my own goals and then see if I can meet them.

I started a new game with a communist Argentina. Thought about going fascist but I wanted to see if a communist country would feel any different game play wise. I’ve been taking out my neighbors one by one. The biggest opponents in South America are Brazil and Peru, the latter having an army and navy almost twice the size of mine, although I will undoubtedly have air superiority when the war starts. Even though pretty much every country in the Americas are guaranteed by the United States, they haven’t done anything about my aggressiveness. I joined the Comintern but have been staying out of the world war. I also been rejecting offers by fellow Comintern members to help me with my wars because the bug in the game might give them a ton of territory they don’t deserve.

I completely fucked up a peace treaty the first time I did it. I didn't understand the system at all. I wish there was a way to back out of that view, and assess the land.

My plan is to eventually make my way up to the US and Canada, which would give the Germans an easier time on the western front (same thing for the Japanese since the US will be too busy with me to fight in the Pacific after Pearl Harbor) and subsequently give the Soviets a harder time dealing with them once they commence Barbarossa, weakening the Russians (in my game the Soviets are also involved in the Sino-Japanese war). After I complete my conquest of the entire Americas, I’m going to attack a weakened German from the west, and later a weakened Russia. If I have time, I’ll clean up the rest of Asia. That’s my master plan of world conquest lol *evil laugh*

If you're looking to weaken the Germans, wouldn't it make sense to hold off on the US attack for a bit? Or are you assuming that once they're gone, Germany will throw it's forces to the east and you'll be able to walk in? As long as France is out that's probably a good thought. Is the UK still in the game? Their air-force and Navy always seem to do a really good job of keeping the German western front back. I haven't seen the AI invade the UK yet.

I felt like a potato when I tried to play HoI3 and gave up. I then got into Crusader Kings and Europa IV which helped me ease into HoI4. Hoi4 is also more simplified than the previous one so you might have an easier time getting into it. I recommend it trying it out. I did have to watch a few videos on youtube and go through a few trial games so the learning curve still higher than most games. Even got my ass kicked by Ethiopia while playing Italy lol

I agree that the learning curve is pretty steep. I've got about 50 hours in right now and I'm still finding new buttons and windows in the UI. The UI isn't the best, but given the massive amounts of information they have to present to you, I think they do a really good job of getting the most important things in your face. I find managing battle plans to be a downright pain though after I have more than 2 armies in an area.

Last edited:
Defiantly picked this game up today. lol i have no idea what im doing.

unfortunately my internet browsers are acting like complete assholes and not loading images all. So hopefully i can fuck with this game tomorrow

Woo! Hope you like it. We've almost got enough people around for a multiplayer game, if anyone can bother to set aside a few hours on a Saturday or Sunday.

When The The Hindenburg Doesn't Explode in 1937...

3FFB34A4B75E150752F52DFBC98852AE10BD907B

lol

So in my USSR game The allies declared war on me due to my aggressive expansion into the middle east. So now I am in a unofficial alliance with the axis powers. Had to help japan fight off a American invasion of china where america lost about a million men. The UK is pretty much stuck on their little island with small holdouts here and there.

I went back and finished the second fascist game I had but didn't go as well. The biggest difference was that instead of invading Canada first, I went for Cuba to get their chromium. Then I decided to go into Venezuela, partially for their oil but also so I could take the British/French provinces that have a ton of aluminum right there. But those damn Venezuelans kept me at bay for nearly 3 years. At that point Germany was getting beat up so I had to give up my hopes for the America's and go take the UK, which was relatively easy once I conquered Ireland. Once I took them the war ended.

It's kind of interesting, because it's not like Civilization where you have "victory conditions". And for some countries, world domination isn't a viable strategy. So I try to come up with my own goals and then see if I can meet them.
Surprised the US had trouble with Venezuela. With me the Venezuelans were the toughest to beat as well in South America. I now conquered all of continent except for the European colonies. You're right about world domination not being feasible. Puny argentina can't do that for sure. It's now almost 1943 in my game and I'm barely half-way done conquering the Americas. I doubt I'll get to Europe before the game is over. I haven't even made my way to central America yet.

If you're looking to weaken the Germans, wouldn't it make sense to hold off on the US attack for a bit? Or are you assuming that once they're gone, Germany will throw it's forces to the east and you'll be able to walk in? As long as France is out that's probably a good thought. Is the UK still in the game? Their air-force and Navy always seem to do a really good job of keeping the German western front back. I haven't seen the AI invade the UK yet.

Yep, my idea was that the Axis would throw their forces against the Soviets with the US too occupied then I would come in while they are too occupied with the Soviets. But my plans got fucked up because in my game the diplomatic alliances are kind of a mess. I invaded Peru, which turned out to be fascist, which in turn joined the Axis and now the Axis powers (which also includes Nationalist Spain) are all at war against me. Since I am already at war with the axis, everytime I start a small war with another country, they end up joining the Axis regardless of political leanings. Democratic Brazil ended up being on the same side of Nazi Germany lol. Part of the reason why Venezuela was so hard was that I had to fight against a few German units that were killing my tanks. My tanks were rolling over other Latin American countries up to that point since they mostly had infantry with no anti-tank capabilities.

And for some weird reason, the Soviets are fighting the western Allies, so there's a weird free for all of Allies vs Axis vs Comintern. I don't want to have to deal with the Allies as well so I am staying out of the Comintern vs Allies war. The US is cool with me so far but I have Soviet units on my land helping me out, and US forces come to attack them. I end up having foreign forces fighting each other on my land in a war I'm not involved in.

What's frustrating is that all my little wars with individual countries become folded into the larger world war since they end up joining the axis, so even if I achieve my initial objective, the war still isn't over until I defeat the rest of the Axis. Conquered territories aren't "officially" mine since there has been no peace conference yet. So I can't utilize the full manpower pool of conquered territories, and I have to deal with those pesky resistance fighters sabotaging my infrastructure. Even if I take all their land, sometimes their Navy is still in the fight and giving me trouble at sea since the country isn't officially defeated. Manpower is the biggest issue for me right now even with extensive conscription.

I find managing battle plans to be a downright pain though after I have more than 2 armies in an area.
I just lay out battle plans just for the bonus and move them how I want. Micromanaging is a pain though. It's also frustrating that units atutomatically want to move to fill gaps in the line even when I don't want them to, which ends up in units moving back and forth for no reason. But I guess from my experience in the Army, that's a realistic reflection of how things are done in the military in real life.
:D

game is cool i had chubz show me the ropes. i needed to get off the piece of poop nation that is italy

Is it possible to play this game pacifist style and prevent WW2 through diplomacy?

Is it possible to play this game pacifist style and prevent WW2 through diplomacy?

Semi, but not really.

Every movement/conquest of the Axis increases World Tension, which starts taking chains off the democratic nations, allowing them to join factions and shit. Now you can very well tip favor of the scales by say, staging a Coup in the US and making them part of the glorious Comintern, but more often than not some kind of war has to go down.

What's that? My game is fairly vanilla.

There's an event when you're a lunatic where you replace your chancellor with your favorite horse (named Glitterhoof). When they released Conclave, they added a portrait for the horse so it has an actual position lmao.

There's a reddit AAR where someone manages to game away the horse trait (which makes them sterile) and basically replaces everyone in europe with horses. Fun times.

There's an event when you're a lunatic where you replace your chancellor with your favorite horse (named Glitterhoof). When they released Conclave, they added a portrait for the horse so it has an actual position lmao.

There's a reddit AAR where someone manages to game away the horse trait (which makes them sterile) and basically replaces everyone in europe with horses. Fun times.

Lol. Nice nod to Caligula.

This game is great, i still have some issues and learning. But i got most of the basics down, making war and unit movement is hard for me so far. im being pressured to invade iraq

This game is great, i still have some issues and learning. But i got most of the basics down, making war and unit movement is hard for me so far. im being pressured to invade iraq

Pause is your friend ;)

I wonder who would pressure you to do such a heinous thing? :cool:

Semi, but not really.

Every movement/conquest of the Axis increases World Tension, which starts taking chains off the democratic nations, allowing them to join factions and shit. Now you can very well tip favor of the scales by say, staging a Coup in the US and making them part of the glorious Comintern, but more often than not some kind of war has to go down.

I got pretty disappointed last night when, after 3 tries, I've decided it's impossible to prevent civil war in Spain at the beginning of the game. I managed to play things right to keep the democrats in the majority, and then start taking back popularity but no matter what the country splits into fascists and communists. At one point I even let them take political power (basically the power that the communists already have gets split between them and fascists, giving the democrats an overwhelming majority).

Still couldn't do it, so I just went fascist and then flipped democratic later after I took Portugals land (did NOT realize they had land all over Africa that I had to take too).

Some things I think are just hard-coded under historical focus. I went communist with America once and then flipped Japan to communist too. That was enough to get them into a Defensive Pact but once the date for Pearl Harbor passed and the defensive pact ran out, they began justifying and then declared war. Besides joining the Axis, I don't think there's anything you can do to stop Japan from declaring war on the US.

I got pretty disappointed last night when, after 3 tries, I've decided it's impossible to prevent civil war in Spain at the beginning of the game. I managed to play things right to keep the democrats in the majority, and then start taking back popularity but no matter what the country splits into fascists and communists. At one point I even let them take political power (basically the power that the communists already have gets split between them and fascists, giving the democrats an overwhelming majority).

Still couldn't do it, so I just went fascist and then flipped democratic later after I took Portugals land (did NOT realize they had land all over Africa that I had to take too).

Some things I think are just hard-coded under historical focus. I went communist with America once and then flipped Japan to communist too. That was enough to get them into a Defensive Pact but once the date for Pearl Harbor passed and the defensive pact ran out, they began justifying and then declared war. Besides joining the Axis, I don't think there's anything you can do to stop Japan from declaring war on the US.

Isn’t there a mode where AI doesn’t act historically? Maybe you can prevent those events in that way.

I fucked up my Communist Argentina game and got a little frustrated with it. Due to my lack of manpower, I just can’t do more than I already have. I can’t even use my newly researched jet fighters because there’s no recruit able population. The entire world seems to be at a stale mate with land barely changing hands. The US going to war with the Soviets really messed things up. Since it’s 1945 I may just fast forward see until the end of the game..

My next game I may try Fascist France.

I read there's a new mod for this game that starts a zombie apocalypse.

preparing for a war with iraq with the glorious British army

Back