Hearts of Iron IV: World War II Grand Strategy (UPDATE March 2018 - New DLC)

Shoemaker

****INSIDIOUS****
Platinum Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: "Waking the Tiger" DLC To Be Released March 8th
Paradox%20Launcher.png
New additions include:

- New National Focus Trees for China & warlord countries
- New Nation Focus Trees for Japan
- Huge Updates To Naval Warfare (Submarines are no longer useless!)
- Special forces revamp (no more spamming Marines & Mountaineers)
- Chain of Command: you can now assign Field Marshall to command multiple armies (so Eisenhower can kind of be the Supreme Allied Commander he was always meant to be)
- Border conflicts
- Weather acclimatization (troops who spend more time in the snow will gain bonuses for fighting in cold regions)
- Lots of UI improvements
- Supply drops for paratroopers!
- And a whole lot more, see https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...kes-waking-the-tiger-features-so-far.1062742/ for a somewhat full list

Announcement Trailer:

Three Day War - Streamers + Devs

ORIGINAL POST:
header.jpg

Now Available
Just came out last Monday, successor to Hearts of Iron III (who would've thought?) but removes a lot of the complication from what people have said. I'm enjoying the hell out of it playing as the United States. Looking forward to playing as Spain and suppressing a civil uprising before I align with Germany and absorb Portugal :cool:

Streams, Links, etc.

Bridger's Beginners Guide - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkQMBP16-XLEVHqSC4CM82aHB10OaG9-T
Bridger's Tips & Tricks - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkQMBP16-XLH-NkRNlw5KbauYfJw2z97J

I'll keep updating this as I come across more content.

Last edited:
surprised nobody else is talking about this. I'm playing Japan and taking over China right now. I'm going to avoid fighting the US or the Soviets until I'm sufficiently powerful. I'm going to look south towards Australia after I’m done with China.

I had the same idea about Spain as well. My first game was as Nationalist Spain and I was getting my ass kicked by the AI due to my lack of understanding how the game worked.

This game is freaking addictive.

I was going to post in this thread but kept forgetting. Game is pretty solid and simplifies a lot of the unnecessary complications from the older games. Anyone try the online yet every game I have joined has ended up going out of sync for everyone.

oh man, you have no idea how much i want this game.

i want to get this and Stellaris

surprised nobody else is talking about this. I'm playing Japan and taking over China right now. I'm going to avoid fighting the US or the Soviets until I'm sufficiently powerful. I'm going to look south towards Australia after I’m done with China.

I had the same idea about Spain as well. My first game was as Nationalist Spain and I was getting my ass kicked by the AI due to my lack of understanding how the game worked.

This game is freaking addictive.

How far did you get with the Japan game?

I'm in the middle of a game right now where I'm playing as the US. I flipped the government and became the fascist Free American Empire, then joined the axis. Immediately had to war with Canada, and the next thing I know I've taken over all of North and Central America.

Cruised over to Ireland to secure land for a port, and then staged an invasion of Britain from there. I completely screwed up my Recruitment earlier though, so I don't have nearly enough troops to turn on the Axis yet.

It's crazy how much fun the game is. The replayability is fantastic.

I was going to post in this thread but kept forgetting. Game is pretty solid and simplifies a lot of the unnecessary complications from the older games. Anyone try the online yet every game I have joined has ended up going out of sync for everyone.

I haven't tried it. I've seen some people play though and it looks really good. Late game is apparently almost always a problem though because someone computer won't be able to handle it lol.

I'm playing other games atm but when this goes on sale on Steam im picking it up. I spent countless hours on HoI2. These games are so addicting. I love getting some mods and having unlimited playing time. conquering the entire world is a huge undertaking but so satisfying.

HoI4 from what I've read is really really good.

How far did you get with the Japan game?

It was annoying how little say you get in which territory you take over even if your war contribution is the highest. I got also a bit impatient and screwed up some decisions and backed a fascist coup in China to ease the conquest, but the newly formed Fascist Chinese republic ended up taking most of the territory even though I did most of the work. I was going to take over Thailand as well but they easily gave up and became a puppet. I kind of lost my interest after that.

I started a new game where I played as Japan and released Korea, then played as Korea. Since the territory is so small, underdeveloped and lacking in resources, it took forever to build anything up and got boring. My tiny force can’t stand up to China, USSR, or Japan, so I try to stay out of conflicts. I guess that’s pretty similar to how it is in real life.

My problem is that I get bored with games pretty fast. I’m gonna probably play one last game as a Southern American country and try to create a Pan-American empire and conquer the US and Canada.

It was annoying how little say you get in which territory you take over even if your war contribution is the highest. I got also a bit impatient and screwed up some decisions and backed a fascist coup in China to ease the conquest, but the newly formed Fascist Chinese republic ended up taking most of the territory even though I did most of the work. I was going to take over Thailand as well but they easily gave up and became a puppet. I kind of lost my interest after that.

I think if you just ask the rebelling country for a couple of states, they'll just give them to you. That happened to me in Ireland. I staged a coup in Britain, so Northern Ireland split away. When I came and took the rest of Ireland, it actually went to this new "British Empire". But when I asked them for a state they just gave it to me. Then Germany asked for one and they got one too.

I started a new game where I played as Japan and released Korea, then played as Korea. Since the territory is so small, underdeveloped and lacking in resources, it took forever to build anything up and got boring. My tiny force can’t stand up to China, USSR, or Japan, so I try to stay out of conflicts. I guess that’s pretty similar to how it is in real life.

My problem is that I get bored with games pretty fast. I’m gonna probably play one last game as a Southern American country and try to create a Pan-American empire and conquer the US and Canada.

Good luck, hopefully it turns a corner. If you want to try a pretty friendly, aggressive early game, I recommend the US->fascist combination. Being America you'll be able to get a lot of soldiers and factories quickly, and then basically invade everyone around you. Plus Japan doesn't declare war on you.

Bunch of damn fascists ITT. I'm interested, but I can't put down CK2.

Fascist America 1 was a success!
Fascist America 2 is getting its shit pushed in by a UK backed Ireland, of all fucking places.

Next it's going to be communist UK I think. See if I can get in good with Joey early and sandwich Germany before they start their war march. Not sure if UK has any blocking modifiers though.

Always been interested in Hearts of Iron and Paradox games in general but I'm just too retarded to really learn them. Everytime I've tried it's been an embarrassing failure

i might get both Stell and Hoi 4

I still need to get Stellaris. It never went below 5% off during the summer sale, so I never pulled the trigger. Now I figure I'll wait for the price to drop a bit.

I like the pricing structure on these Paradox games though. Don't need a bunch of extra models and soundtrack? Pay less. And in HOI, I absolutely don't need any extra models. I don't spend any time looking at them anyway. Let's face it, it's just a really colorful spreadsheet :)

Fascist America 1 was a success!

By success do you mean you conquered the world?

I started a new game with a communist Argentina. Thought about going fascist but I wanted to see if a communist country would feel any different game play wise. I’ve been taking out my neighbors one by one. The biggest opponents in South America are Brazil and Peru, the latter having an army and navy almost twice the size of mine, although I will undoubtedly have air superiority when the war starts. Even though pretty much every country in the Americas are guaranteed by the United States, they haven’t done anything about my aggressiveness. I joined the Comintern but have been staying out of the world war. I also been rejecting offers by fellow Comintern members to help me with my wars because the bug in the game might give them a ton of territory they don’t deserve.

My plan is to eventually make my way up to the US and Canada, which would give the Germans an easier time on the western front (same thing for the Japanese since the US will be too busy with me to fight in the Pacific after Pearl Harbor) and subsequently give the Soviets a harder time dealing with them once they commence Barbarossa, weakening the Russians (in my game the Soviets are also involved in the Sino-Japanese war). After I complete my conquest of the entire Americas, I’m going to attack a weakened German from the west, and later a weakened Russia. If I have time, I’ll clean up the rest of Asia. That’s my master plan of world conquest lol *evil laugh*

Always been interested in Hearts of Iron and Paradox games in general but I'm just too retarded to really learn them. Everytime I've tried it's been an embarrassing failure
I felt like a potato when I tried to play HoI3 and gave up. I then got into Crusader Kings and Europa IV which helped me ease into HoI4. Hoi4 is also more simplified than the previous one so you might have an easier time getting into it. I recommend it trying it out. I did have to watch a few videos on youtube and go through a few trial games so the learning curve still higher than most games. Even got my ass kicked by Ethiopia while playing Italy lol

Have you grabbed it yet @GhostZ06 ?

Defiantly picked this game up today. lol i have no idea what im doing.

unfortunately my internet browsers are acting like complete assholes and not loading images all. So hopefully i can fuck with this game tomorrow

Defiantly picked this game up today. lol i have no idea what im doing.

unfortunately my internet browsers are acting like complete assholes and not loading images all. So hopefully i can fuck with this game tomorrow
Nice, let me know how it is. I'm a lot more interested after reading this thread.

Back