HD video on VHS? HD video in 1993? WTF?

Film = / = Video

You have to remember, most video cameras that you could buy in 1993 were shitty looking standard def VHS cams.

He's saying that film could be transferred to HD video at that time.

The gap between VHS and DVD never was as much as people made it out to be. People think the gap now is worse than it was because all VHS tapes now are showing signs of degradation. The biggest thing that I think pushed VHS tapes out for DVDs was just the hassle of having to rewind them. We didn't have TVs that were big with higher resolutions that were cheap and if you don't have a big tv, you don't have to be that far away from it to not notice the added resolution. For people pushing 4k TVs, look at how big of a TV you have to have and how close you have to be for it to matter.

optimal-viewing-distance-television-graph-size.png

The same is true with CRT vs LCD displays. A good HD-Trinitron TV looks gorgeous and provides excellent contrast. For me, I would trade in some resolution for good contrast and colors. Same is true with laserdisc. The audio for that laserdisc could supply was only surpassed by blue-ray. So, it took 20+ years to surpass laserdisc audio.

Oh, I know that the home recording capabilities weren't there, plus TVs weren't ready, but the ability for an HD conversion to a VHS tape makes sense.

The thing about the video in the OP though is that it wasn't shot on film and converted to HD, it was shot on an actual HD camera in 1993. From the notes on the vid:

For those wondering what HD video camera tech existed in 1993 - there are a few options, but it's likely that this footage was shot with a HDVS camera- perhaps a Sony SONY HDC-500 attached to a HDV-10 portable recorder which recorded on UniHi 3/4" tape.

Also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_HDVS

The thing about the video in the OP though is that it wasn't shot on film and converted to HD, it was shot on an actual HD camera in 1993. From the notes on the vid:

For those wondering what HD video camera tech existed in 1993 - there are a few options, but it's likely that this footage was shot with a HDVS camera- perhaps a Sony SONY HDC-500 attached to a HDV-10 portable recorder which recorded on UniHi 3/4" tape.

Also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_HDVS
Oh, well shit.

I have to wonder if enough people are buying that shit to make it worth producing them.

I like to what it sounds like. Personally I prefer Physical Media over what you can download
I even hear Vinyl is making a comeback.

I like to what it sounds like. Personally I prefer Physical Media over what you can download

I would be very surprised if I personally could notice a difference between it and a CD.

I even hear Vinyl is making a comeback.

Vinyl's been big for a while now. In fact, I was just having a discussion about this in a used record store the other day. It's expensive to get into, though. The average price for a new record is somewhere around $30. And that's average, many cost more.

I would be very surprised if I personally could notice a difference between it and a CD.

Vinyl's been big for a while now. In fact, I was just having a discussion about this in a used record store the other day. It's expensive to get into, though. The average price for a new record is somewhere around $30. And that's average, many cost more.

Yeah I've seen the prices of new records too much.

You know what's fucking bullshit? The only way to purchase True Lies in an HD format is to buy one of these D-Theater VHS tapes lol. WTF

You know what's fucking bullshit? The only way to purchase True Lies in an HD format is to buy one of these D-Theater VHS tapes lol. WTF

LOL, I didn't even think of that when I saw that picture, but you're right! How fucking weird.

Is yours one of the ones that can play D-Theater movies? If so, did you ever buy movies in that format?

Yes. I have The Ring on it because that movie didn't hit blu-ray until late 2012. Also recorded some movies off of my dvr like an hd showing of The Mothman Prophecies and some other stuff before they appeared on blu-ray (The Mothman Prophecies is still not out on blu-ray in the U.S., but I have a region free PC player so I have a European blu-ray of it).
Only problem is that it records the content protection that broadcasts have, so if a channel is content protected you couldn't transfer the hd movie to your PC and all the D-Theater tapes are content protected as well. I bought a Hauppauge HD-PVR after that because you can record via component cable and optical audio so it bypasses the digital content protection, so I could dump movies directly to my PC, but it was in real time and you need a good set of component cables and the right settings so that there isn't any quality degradation. Recording to your PC with DVHS via firewire was super fast, the tape would wind at blinding speeds and you'd get a 2 hour movie on your pc in about ten minutes. It's the best way to back up any vhs tape like old home movies or movies and shows that haven't hit any other format or whatnot.
The video quality was really good, it's only MPEG-2 though and blu-ray can use that but also VC-1 and AVC/h.264, all at higher bit rates with more hd audio options outside of PCM, and of course 4K blu-ray uses h.265.
I have mine in front of me as I type, right under my Fios cable box. I rarely ever use it, but I do need to back up all my family's old home movies, which I put on the shelf below to remind me. I have the JVC HM-DH5U, looks nice, blends in with my cable box well.

I know, one of the biggest films of 94 and an Arnold classic but nup, no blu ray.

Back