HD video on VHS? HD video in 1993? WTF?

I can say right now I definitely never hear of this. This is like the Twilight Zone.

I know, right? WTF? I mean, at the very least it seems we would've run across the players and the movies while browsing around in Best Buy in the early 00s. It just makes no sense that I had absolutely no awareness of this format.

I mean, could the movies only be purchased via mail order or something? I don't get it.

That NYC video is amazing. It's like a time machine looking into a window back then.

Yeah, it's like someone grabbed an HD video camera and hopped into a time machine to capture some footage. Now I want to see some HD footage from the 80s. That would be fucking RAD!

Definitely a doomed format because it was going backwards in some respects(people wanted to get away from tapes and little DVDs are too convenient.)

Yeah, once discs came out, with special features and convenient menus with chapter selection, with no worries about degradation after repeated use, and no need to rewind after each use, tapes were pretty much done for. I often get nostalgic about old shit, but there's not much in the way of argument to make for tapes over discs.

Frankly, I'm surprised JVC even bothered with this. It's weird though that they were already recording HD demos in the early 90s but it took until the early 00s for HDTVs to really be a thing.

I know, right? WTF? I mean, at the very least it seems we would've run across the players and the movies while browsing around in Best Buy in the early 00s. It just makes no sense that I had absolutely no awareness of this format.

I mean, could the movies only be purchased via mail order or something? I don't get it.

Yeah, it's like someone grabbed an HD video camera and hopped into a time machine to capture some footage. Now I want to see some HD footage from the 80s. That would be fucking RAD!

Yeah, once discs came out, with special features and convenient menus with chapter selection, with no worries about degradation after repeated use, and no need to rewind after each use, tapes were pretty much done for. I often get nostalgic about old shit, but there's not much in the way of argument to make for tapes over discs.

Frankly, I'm surprised JVC even bothered with this. It's weird though that they were already recording HD demos in the early 90s but it took until the early 00s for HDTVs to really be a thing.

Probably because they had to get the cost of LCD/LED panels down. Remember, in the 90's and late 90's little 19" LCD monitors were about $300 or so. Imagine how much it would have cost for a 65" run in the mill, LCD TV then... probably about $10,000 or so. HD wouldn't work on a CRT TV.

The only thing I can think of is that they had majority R&D already done in the early 90s and decided to say fuck it and release it when HDTVs started coming out in an attempt to be the only player(no pun intended) in the market with HD capabilities. It's a gamble that failed because time and time again the general public opts for convenience and form factor over quality for the most part and this was a step huge step back from DVD.

The only thing I can think of is that they had majority R&D already done in the early 90s and decided to say fuck it and release it when HDTVs started coming out in an attempt to be the only player(no pun intended) in the market with HD capabilities. It's a gamble that failed because time and time again the general public opts for convenience and form factor over quality for the most part and this was a step huge step back from DVD.

Yeah. I don't get why they would think that bare bones releases without any kind of special features would be a good idea, considering that people had already gotten used to extra content on their DVDs. Besides, if you have a DVD player with good upscaling abilities then an upscaled DVD can look almost as good as a Blu-Ray.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget about the Sega Genesis and "HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS" in 1989.

16b61db06c103f84b98bcf688888c6d1.jpg

Then Sega cd

Im probably not as old as a lot of you old fucks but my childhood was spent in the movie rental store literally every day. I got free rentals and if a movie came out, I saw it.

Never heard of this in my life. That NY video is amazing.

I can say right now I definitely never hear of this. This is like the Twilight Zone. But seriously its weird and seriously cool. 50 Gb of data at 28 Mbps is extremely impressive.
That NYC video is amazing. It's like a time machine looking into a window back then.

Definitely a doomed format because it was going backwards in some respects(people wanted to get away from tapes and little DVDs are too convenient.)

The interesting thing in this video which is still an issue today is how much the studios weigh copy protection when it comes to high quality sources of their content. They mention it at 4:25 n the video. Even today copy protection is something that basically is messing with watching 4K sources today meaning places like Netflix won't just stream 4K to a computer because of piracy and DRM concerns from Hollywood studios(Apparently you can do it now with Edge browser because of the DMR).

For 4K Netflix you either need a 10 series nvidia gpu or an Intel Kaby Lake processor. Both have hardware built in to handle the decoding/encoding.
Netflix uses h265 10bit encoding for its 4K content, it will bring just about any system to its knees if you rely on software to do the encoding.

For 4K Netflix you either need a 10 series nvidia gpu or an Intel Kaby Lake processor. Both have hardware built in to handle the decoding/encoding.
Netflix uses h265 10bit encoding for its 4K content, it will bring just about any system to its knees if you rely on software to do the encoding.

Entirely correct, but I don't know why you'd try to stream 4k when most 4k sets are smart and can stream it natively.

Make no mistake it's done for copy protection reasons not because it some kind of limitation they can't technically figure out. Yes h265 hardware centric and more efficient for bandwidth but they ultimately provide 4k only to copy protected sources because of the studios.

Q: Why doesn't Youtube allow users to watch movies they purchase in 4k but allow people to watch 4k content from someone filming their cat?

A: Because per Youtube "HD and UHD playback is in accordance with our Studio licensing agreements" which translates to the studios won't allow them to distribute their 4k content without copy protection(HDCP)

Make no mistake it's done for copy protection reasons not because it some kind of limitation they can't technically figure out. Yes h265 hardware centric and more efficient for bandwidth but they ultimately provide 4k only to copy protected sources because of the studios.

Q: Why doesn't Youtube allow users to watch movies they purchase in 4k but allow people to watch 4k content from someone filming their cat?

A: Because per Youtube "HD and UHD playback is in accordance with our Studio licensing agreements" which translates to the studios won't allow them to distribute their 4k content without copy protection(HDCP)

Go try to run one of the 10 bit jellyfish tests on a non kaby lake or nvidia 10 series gpu and see what happens. The DRM part is why they require Edge.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it already, but RIP Twin Towers.

:(

IMG_0753.jpg

This is fucking trippy.

So apparently in the 90s JVC developed an HD version of the VHS format. WTF? Where did this come from?

According to Wikipedia:

And according to this article:

There were even movies released in the format?

23syqzt.jpg

This is blowing my mind. I don't remember ANYTHING about any D-VHS or D-Theater home video format. Does anyone else remember this shit?

And check this out. Here's a D-VHS demo from 1993. 1993! This shit is just fucking surreal to watch.

Wow excellent find.

Sega has to be the one gaming company with the most promising gaming consoles that never panned out.

32X
CD
Saturn
Dreamcast
Game Gear
Nomad

I always appreciated the fact that they kept trying to push the limits though. The idea for the 32X and SegaCD were both cool, even if they didn't end up being utilized like they should've been.

I've often wondered how far the 32X in particular could've been pushed if it had not been abandoned so quickly.

I always appreciated the fact that they kept trying to push the limits though. The idea for the 32X and SegaCD were both cool, even if they didn't end up being utilized like they should've been.

I've often wondered how far the 32X in particular could've been pushed if it had not been abandoned so quickly.

One thing to take under consideration is the way the Sega 32X and SegaCD were so far ahead of their time, especially CD. People forget the game library and selection the CD console had was actually pretty sick.

One thing to take under consideration is the way the Sega 32X and SegaCD were so far ahead of their time, especially CD. People forget the game library and selection the CD console had was actually pretty sick.

Yeah, I was kind of surprised Nintendo never completed their plans for a CD attachment to compete.

With the 32X, you had this crazy idea: Attach this thing to your system and it turns your 16-bit system into a 32-bit system. What I thought was weird was how they would release games that had both a regular Genesis version and a 32X version. That didn't make sense to me, especially when the two looked nearly identical. I wanted to see what the 32X could do that the Genesis simply had no way of doing.

I can say right now I definitely never hear of this. This is like the Twilight Zone. But seriously its weird and seriously cool. 50 Gb of data at 28 Mbps is extremely impressive.

The interesting thing in this video which is still an issue today is how much the studios weigh copy protection when it comes to high quality sources of their content. They mention it at 4:25 n the video. Even today copy protection is something that basically is messing with watching 4K sources today meaning places like Netflix won't just stream 4K to a computer because of piracy and DRM concerns from Hollywood studios(Apparently you can do it now with Edge browser because of the DMR).

Right? I Robot was 2004. Who the hell still wanted tape in 2004?

Back