HD video on VHS? HD video in 1993? WTF?

Harder to skip straight to nude scenes with tape.

Also, thank goodness for DVD A-B repeat.

IMG_0753.jpg

This is fucking trippy.

So apparently in the 90s JVC developed an HD version of the VHS format. WTF? Where did this come from?

According to Wikipedia:

And according to this article:

There were even movies released in the format?

23syqzt.jpg

This is blowing my mind. I don't remember ANYTHING about any D-VHS or D-Theater home video format. Does anyone else remember this shit?

And check this out. Here's a D-VHS demo from 1993. 1993! This shit is just fucking surreal to watch.

The only logical explanation is that someone from this timeline went back in time to the 90's to invent HD VHS tapes and now the past has been changed, which is why in this timeline we have no memory of the technology. It's proof of time travel.

According to Wikipedia, you specifically needed a D-VHS player to watch D-VHS tapes. And if you wanted to watch any of the D-Theater movies that were issued, then you needed a D-VHS player with the D-Theater logo.

In all honestly, I don't understand what good it would do you to have an HD VHS tape and an HD VHS player if you didn't also have an HD TV, and I'm not sure how many people had HD TV in 1990. If it even existed, it would only be the uber rich. That is why we have never heard of it. It was a very exclusive product.

In all honestly, I don't understand what good it would do you to have an HD VHS tape and an HD VHS player if you didn't also have an HD TV, and I'm not sure how many people had HD TV in 1990. If it even existed, it would only be the uber rich. That is why we have never heard of it. It was a very exclusive product.

Well that demo of New York in the OP is from 1993, but that's not when the format was offered to consumers. D-VHS/D-Theater movies were released in the early 00s, like from 2002 to 2004.

Well that demo of New York in the OP is from 1993, but that's not when the format was offered to consumers. D-VHS/D-Theater movies were released in the early 00s, like from 2002 to 2004.
Well, that would also explain why we never heard of them. VHS I think had pretty much already lost the format war to DVD by then.

Well, that would also explain why we never heard of them. VHS I think had pretty much already lost the format war to DVD by then.

Yes, but you can't think of this as regular VHS. DVDs were higher resolution than VHS, but they weren't HD. D-VHS was HD so looked even better than DVD.

Yeah, I was kind of surprised Nintendo never completed their plans for a CD attachment to compete.

With the 32X, you had this crazy idea: Attach this thing to your system and it turns your 16-bit system into a 32-bit system. What I thought was weird was how they would release games that had both a regular Genesis version and a 32X version. That didn't make sense to me, especially when the two looked nearly identical. I wanted to see what the 32X could do that the Genesis simply had no way of doing.
Yeah I remember my friend had a 32X and the difference in graphics and gameplay was so minimal that we couldn't tell any difference. Sounded like a cool idea at the time but was actually a piece of crap. Sega CD on the other hand was pretty awesome... Final Fight, Joe Montana's Football, Sonic CD...wish I could've had one as a kid.

Everything that was shot in super 16mm and up is technically considered HD or better, so it makes sense that the capabilities were there.

Ahh... I didn't know it was released in the early 2000's. By your other posts, I thought it was the 90's.

That explains the whole thing. The R&D was probably done in the early 90's and by the time they got the cost down, DVD's were already out, so no one wanted to go back to VHS when they were released. Also, Bluray came out around the same time, so who would want a HD VHS when they could have an HD DVD format?

Everything that was shot in super 16mm and up is technically considered HD or better, so it makes sense that the capabilities were there.

Film = / = Video

You have to remember, most video cameras that you could buy in 1993 were shitty looking standard def VHS cams.

Ahh... I didn't know it was released in the early 2000's. By your other posts, I thought it was the 90's.

That explains the whole thing. The R&D was probably done in the early 90's and by the time they got the cost down, DVD's were already out, so no one wanted to go back to VHS when they were released. Also, Bluray came out around the same time, so who would want a HD VHS when they could have an HD DVD format?

Well it depends on what you mean by "around the same time." The first D-Theater movies came out in 2002. Blu-Ray didn't debut until 2006.

That's a four year head start to win the hearts and minds of the people who already had HDTVs and wanted to watch movies that took full advantage of their hardware.

Film = / = Video

You have to remember, most video cameras that you could buy in 1993 were shitty looking standard def VHS cams.
Oh, I know that the home recording capabilities weren't there, plus TVs weren't ready, but the ability for an HD conversion to a VHS tape makes sense.

Well it depends on what you mean by "around the same time." The first D-Theater movies came out in 2002. Blu-Ray didn't debut until 2006.

That's a four year head start to win the hearts and minds of the people who already had HDTVs and wanted to watch movies that took full advantage of their hardware.

The first commercial Bluray player came out in 2003 without any standards or material, however. So, they knew Bluray would soon be out everywhere. They probably realized if they wasted money promoting it, in a few years it would be dead with Bluray coming out to the masses. They probably just cut their losses.

Back