HBO passes on Manny Pacquaio fight, drops him from contract

Damn it, you can't call Norton great and not extend the same consideration to Oliver McCall.
see what I mean, he's pretty consistent with that argument. Probably never will get him to see the truth. Norton beating a still vital Ali is greater than anything McCall kayoing Lewis.
Because those guys still sold ppvs, it's not fkn rocket science
that's what I don't get, did manny's last fight do that badly?

Arum says Manny is a free agent since HBO won't carry his next fight. HBO told LA Times that they won't release Pac from his HBO contract. Who will bend first?

see what I mean, he's pretty consistent with that argument. Probably never will get him to see the truth. Norton beating a still vital Ali is greater than anything McCall kayoing Lewis.

Its true though. Norton beat Ali. McCall beat Lewis. The only other thing you can really say about Norton is that he was competitive in a few fights with big names. McCall probably had more success overall against B level fighters, in all honesty. One win doesn't make a fighter elite in the all time picture.

Arum says Manny is a free agent since HBO won't carry his next fight. HBO told LA Times that they won't release Pac from his HBO contract. Who will bend first?
Boy does that suck for Vargas. Looks like Cheese was right if this is true. So what does this mean? Are they allowed to shop a new network for this particular fight?
Still smart by HBO because they can only enforce it for if PAC takes another big fight later on. Anything else they dont have to be bothered with. I hope this isnt another drawn out limbo nobody can fight type situation.

It all depends on the language in the contract.

Good .

Pac vs Crawford or GTFO imo .

Well now that's a big difference if they aren't dropping him from his contract. They're making a risky move if they want to keep him. Wonder what the lawyers are saying.

Its true though. Norton beat Ali. McCall beat Lewis. The only other thing you can really say about Norton is that he was competitive in a few fights with big names. McCall probably had more success overall against B level fighters, in all honesty. One win doesn't make a fighter elite in the all time picture.
I agree with your point but there definitely is a big gap between them. McCall's win was pretty flukey and pre-prime Lewis.

No one Garcia was a bigger star than Pac. I said more people watched his last fight, which is part of what makes him a good opponent. More fans know Pacquiao but are no longer interested in watching him in gimme fights.
I think people are interested, just not ppv interested.

there definitely is a big gap between them. .

There is not. Norton was pretty much the punching bag to the elite aside from that win over Ali. Personally, I don't see it as miles off from what occurred with Tyson and Douglas. Sometimes a guy just has your number and that was the case with Norton over Ali. Norton never replicated that success, not even against lesser guys than Ali.

People don't like to hear it because of the love for that particular era but it is what it is. No one likes to think that someone that wasn't really that special managed to beat Muhammad Ali. Its not different than people who insist Douglas got a long count or that Lewis didn't take McCall seriously. In this case, they say a fighter who was actually mediocre at best was actually not mediocre but a very special talent.

I think people are interested, just not ppv interested.
Pac is a PPV fighter and has been for over a decade. It means something that a guy who could make respectable numbers fighting David Diaz is now getting dropped by HBO.

There is not. Norton was pretty much the punching bag to the elite aside from that win over Ali. Personally, I don't see it as miles off from what occurred with Tyson and Douglas. Sometimes a guy just has your number and that was the case with Norton over Ali. Norton never replicated that success, not even against lesser guys than Ali.

People don't like to hear it because of the love for that particular era but it is what it is. No one likes to think that someone that wasn't really that special managed to beat Muhammad Ali. Its not different than people who insist Douglas got a long count or that Lewis didn't take McCall seriously. In this case, they say a fighter who was actually mediocre at best was actually not mediocre but a very special talent.
I don't think Norton is as great as some people do but comparing him to McCall? I just don't agree. McCall was just a tough guy that happened to be signed with King during Tyson's time in jail. He's more Bruce Seldon than Ken Norton. I don't even think he's as good as Rahman.

I don't think Norton is as great as some people do but comparing him to McCall? I just don't agree. McCall was just a tough guy that happened to be signed with King during Tyson's time in jail. He's more Bruce Seldon than Ken Norton. I don't even think he's as good as Rahman.
McCall actually had some fairly respectable wins.

I thought Norton beat Holmes. Come at me bros.

both were great natural athletes that's for sure. Norton had the best physique in heavyweight history maybe, along with Mike Weaver. neither guy fulfilled their potential either. Norton admits that he never gave boxing his all. Both kind of, well, not unstable,but not very strong mentally. McCall showing it in the second Lewis fight and Norton showed it by being spooked by anyone with any power. McCall insists that he gave Tyson hell in sparring and maybe he did, problem with sparring partners is that sometimes they never can get past the mentality of a hired hand. Norton had better accomplishments, he beat Ali once and gave him hell two more times, he fought tooth and nail with a young Holmes, he beat Bobick, Quarry and fought most of the best of the era. There was some talk that he shouldn't have been placed in the hall of fame because of his lack of success outside of ali.

Pac is a PPV fighter and has been for over a decade. It means something that a guy who could make respectable numbers fighting David Diaz is now getting dropped by HBO.

Pacquiao vs Diaz did 250k buys

PAC vs Jessie should do around there or better

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back