HBO passes on Manny Pacquaio fight, drops him from contract

Pac is a PPV fighter and has been for over a decade. It means something that a guy who could make respectable numbers fighting David Diaz is now getting dropped by HBO.
Of course it does.

Still - he's popular, more so than Garcia for example.

If a fight is expected to do less than 500k buys, then I believe it is not a fight that belongs on PPV. The problem is, most fights still make money when they sell a fraction of that because PPV has gotten so damn expensive.

Bad move if they care about boxing. Could piss Arum off and send him to Showtime.

That would be a good thing for boxing though. Add some unity and hbo had been pretty lackluster for a few years.

If a fight is expected to do less than 500k buys, then I believe it is not a fight that belongs on PPV. The problem is, most fights still make money when they sell a fraction of that because PPV has gotten so damn expensive.
I agree. PPV should be for REALLY big fights or really deep cards. Not every single fight involving a guy who fought on PPV. Fighting on one PPV card shouldn't make all of your future fights PPV.

Dan Rafael said HBO doesn't have an issue with the fight itself, they have an issue wth the date. They don't want to do two ppvs in a month two weeks apart.

ken Norton would whop mccalls ass

Dan Rafael said HBO doesn't have an issue with the fight itself, they have an issue wth the date. They don't want to do two ppvs in a month two weeks apart.
If that's the case TR should move the date. I wonder what they're thinking. Are they trying to jump ship?

500k is a high bar to set. Once Pac and Floyd retire, you won't see many, if any, do more than that. While I like your idea that PPV should be for the mega events, I just doubt it'll happen. Boxing needs the PPV shows to give the image that it's thriving, and it has all these mega fights for us fans to be excited about. If the bar was set at 500k, we'd see one PPV once a year or maybe even once every two years. That'd make the sport look bad, especially since UFC puts on like 8 PPV's a year. Instead we have Canelo exclusively on PPV, when I can't remember another PPV star that had every fight on PPV but didn't deserve it as much as Canelo does't.

I don't follow todays boxing much but change is really in the air if NY is not gonna have much boxing, that was the heart of American boxing for a long time.

500k is a high bar to set. Once Pac and Floyd retire, you won't see many, if any, do more than that. While I like your idea that PPV should be for the mega events, I just doubt it'll happen. Boxing needs the PPV shows to give the image that it's thriving, and it has all these mega fights for us fans to be excited about. If the bar was set at 500k, we'd see one PPV once a year or maybe even once every two years. That'd make the sport look bad, especially since UFC puts on like 8 PPV's a year. Instead we have Canelo exclusively on PPV, when I can't remember another PPV star that had every fight on PPV but didn't deserve it as much as Canelo does't.
I just hope we don't get anymore forced PPV's. Getting sub 100k sales doesn't look for anybody.

Also, support the guys with some blemishes on their records. We need stop writing people off after a loss or 2. Support the guys who fight the guys others wont. Shawn Porter is a perfect example of this. Kell Brooks too. We should support and get behind these 2 more instead of guys like DSG. We should stop caring more about the zero in a protected record or a babysat belt.
I agree with this so fucking much. records are for DJ's

good move by HBO......I think Canelo is in for a rude awakening on the PPV buys vs Liam Smith......And if the numbers are bad he will have to fight a legit opponent next

If that's the case TR should move the date. I wonder what they're thinking. Are they trying to jump ship?

Arum said the date is ironclad because it has to fit into Pac's tight senate schedule. Otherwise it would be negotiable. He wouldn't bend and HBO wouldn't either.

Back