HBO 24/7 GGG vs Jacobs

I got paid to analyze GGG prefight and I still had him favored fwiw. Told them that too. I'm a fan of the sweet science before I'm a fan of any one fighter (Errol is my favorite fighter, though).

Just verifying this as true.

So, someone definitely got paid off to judge that chocolatito fight. That was some bullshit. And I had GGG winning, but just barely. I honestly thought one of the rounds Harold Ledderman gave Jacobs was Golovkin's.

What was your opinion of him going to southpaw?

It's the only instance of stance switching, that I can think of that worked. Bar Crawford.
I'm talking a guy with one style switching over in a fight. A'la Hagler.

Hagler, it cost him the biggest fight of his life.
With DJ, if seems he didn't do it to "throw GGG off and switch n KO him from orthodox". GGG's too experienced for that.

To me it seemed, DJ used it to maximize his length, split GGG's guard with the lead uppercut from southpaw and to make use of the avenues of escape available when southpaw.
He used it for the defensive advantages it gives and not so much as KO setup when switching back to orthodox. Though that's a bonus if it happens.

He also used it while shifting like Pirog n GGG. Not as smooth but still quite good and used with no defensive lapses. GGG just didn't fall for it.

All this is just my opinion. Maybe @RR can elaborate.

Last edited:
@RR is a standup guy and a man of his word.
Would vouch for him. Legit
His word is bond.
Thanks for all the info and posts. You made a great fight even more exciting.
A real asset to the forum!

No doubt.
Some of you made have read the bet we made.
If I win, GGG that is, then I get 5-10 questions answered from DJ.
All the strategy planning they did for GGG.
That plus a signed pic.

Well he lost and still PMed me to say he's including a signed hat or T shirt or something :)
Really impressed me. Almost as much as his guy did in the fight.

If I lost I had to do something stupid like sig/AV bet for a year.

So yeah, good ppl.
Plus I liked this new style of his guy. Much better than the skittish, athletic banger of earlier.
I prefer boxers mostly.

Me, personally, I'd score the fight for DJ. But that's cuz I'm biased towards boxers. I can understand GGG getting it though. No robbery either way is what I'm saying.
Those two wide scorecards were stupid though.
That's why I added the sig below of my own accord.

Last edited:
So, someone definitely got paid off to judge that chocolatito fight. That was some bullshit. And I had GGG winning, but just barely. I honestly thought one of the rounds Harold Ledderman gave Jacobs was Golovkin's.

That fight was close. Gonzalez was perhaps more convincing in some of the rounds he won, but overall I think 7-5, 6-6 or 5-7 would be about how it played out.

That fight was close. Gonzalez was perhaps more convincing in some of the rounds he won, but overall I think 7-5, 6-6 or 5-7 would be about how it played out.
Ok, I could see that maybe. But it seems to me like he just did what he wanted to that guy when he wanted. Of course, I forgot about the early knockdown which was really just Chocolatito being off balance. Either way, that round was 10-8.

I didn't score the Gonzalez fight and didn't rewatch it, but my sense at the time was that Gonzalez might have just edged it, but not by any sizable margin.

I'd feel like I should've done more to win the fight. The idea that the champion doesn't have to do as much to win is weird.
It's was actually a pretty common view in the sport that the challenger had to take the title from the champ and not just squeak by. Close rounds would go to the champ or the ref that ruled would do so in favor of the champ in a close fight.

Personally I dont believe so, a good example of a point fighter trying to win a fight(I would not tolerate as a judge) S. Thompson vs T. Woodley.

A. Gustafson vs J. Jones is another.
Guys deliberately being boring, shitting on the fans because they have no other way to beat a champ than dance around and out point him, ye i have a problem with that, I want to see guys bring it especially the champs, that is why guys like Garcia D, GGG, McGregor, Rumble.
These guys are top fighters who bring the fight.
So guys like Pep and Whitaker should not even have bothered turning pro? :D

He definitely got robbed but we need to cut the judges a little slack since they have a single angle to view the fight while we have the benefit of multiple cameras and replays in slo-mo.

Back