Has anyone actually used BJJ in a real/street fight ?

Evenflow80

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
And if so what was the story ? How did it go and what belt were you at the time.

I'm only about 7 months into it and I'm still questioning it's real world self defense usefulness. Still don't really see it but it might be because I'm still new

Ya i have on a few occasions. I work at a bar so every so often people dont like being told to leave and start trouble. Everytime i go for a clinch and trip them. From there i go to mount or KOB, which ever is more available. Then you let them tire themselves out and calm down.

• Four hundred times and never lost.

Ya i have on a few occasions. I work at a bar so every so often people dont like being told to leave and start trouble. Everytime i go for a clinch and trip them. From there i go to mount or KOB, which ever is more available. Then you let them tire themselves out and calm down.

Cool man. You sound like a bouncer so are you a really big guy ? What belt are you ?

I have not myself but I have over the years had friends that have. They always told me how surprisingly easy it was to dominate the average joe on a fight. Some of these guys also fought mma. The big difference between a fight in mma and a street fight they often tell me is the takedown. Guys in mma have good takedown defence where the average person as soon as you grab them they find it was game over.

I have not myself but I have over the years had friends that have. They always told me how surprisingly easy it was to dominate the average joe on a fight. Some of these guys also fought mma. The big difference between a fight in mma and a street fight they often tell me is the takedown. Guys in mma have good takedown defence where the average person as soon as you grab them they find it was game over.

Interesting.... I suppose unless you trained at all you wouldn't know what to do if someone goes for a double or single leg... even though I'd think it might be instinctual to grab the neck or sprawl.

The thing is roll with a new guy and that will give you an idea of how lost people are on the ground. How lost were you 7 months ago? How much better are you then you were 7 months ago? You should know by now how effective bjj is on the ground. Develop your clinch and takedown is a good starter to help with your confidence.

Cool man. You sound like a bouncer so are you a really big guy ? What belt are you ?
I'm a bartender actually, and not very big 6'0, 200 pounds(180 when training). I was a blue belt. Just getting back into training after taking a couple of years off for work/school. I've honestly been very surprised with how effective bjj can be in a 1v1 situation, and If i had to give any advice it would be to change levels and close distance as soon as you feel your in danger. Get on top at all costs. Once you're there, stay calm and ride it out. The guy will spazz with all his might, but he will gas out in 30 secs.

I'm a bartender actually, and not very big 6'0, 200 pounds(180 when training). I was a blue belt. Just getting back into training after taking a couple of years off for work/school. I've honestly been very surprised with how effective bjj can be in a 1v1 situation, and If i had to give any advice it would be to change levels and close distance as soon as you feel your in danger. Get on top at all costs. Once you're there, stay calm and ride it out. The guy will spazz with all his might, but he will gas out in 30 secs.

Thing that sucks is that my bjj gym hardly if ever has us start standing. We do drill take owns aoemtimes though.

Also as a smaller guy (about 170) i tend to practice being in bottom and pulling guard more. Is pulling guard realistic in a real fight or will you get your face pounded in?

Sounds like i need to practice more my top game and take downs

The thing is roll with a new guy and that will give you an idea of how lost people are on the ground. How lost were you 7 months ago? How much better are you then you were 7 months ago? You should know by now how effective bjj is on the ground. Develop your clinch and takedown is a good starter to help with your confidence.

Thats true about rolling with new guys. I do wonder though how I'd hold up had that new guy been smashing my face in. I don't know man.

Thing that sucks is that my bjj gym hardly if ever has us start standing. We do drill take owns aoemtimes though.

Also as a smaller guy (about 170) i tend to practice being in bottom and pulling guard more. Is pulling guard realistic in a real fight or will you get your face pounded in?

its important to drill tds, but in SF terms, the most you will need is a single or double, but even more important is the ability to close the distance and establish the clinch. Its good to put on the gloves once in a while and train mma type of style, it will certanly give you more confidence on your skills, if all you do is sit on your ass and roll, well you wont have that much confidence in your game, specially if you are a small dude.

Honestly when I'm training, I prefer being on the bottom and playing guard myself. With that said, I would never recommend being in guard unless you train with strikes. If you end up there try your go to sweep right away and get on top or stand up. I remember one occasion where i ended up on the botttom after being rushed. I was pretty content to work my guard and try to tap him( honestly just to see if i could. Dumb I know). What I realized quickly is strikes change everything.
Best i could do was cover up and kick him in the face. That fight really made me look at the self defense side of bjj alot more.

I also bartend and starting working security 10 year ago. That was before i trained but still used the rnc all the time. Grappling works great for fights. No breaking your hand with a punch ( ive done that too). No hurting some one or leaving them swollen or bloody for the cops to press charges against you. Arms drags to back take has been my fail proof go to.

• Four hundred times and never lost.

500 and you're a legitimate tough guy.

I know a guy who kicked the shit out of someone who pulled a knife on him while working security. The BJJ was when he gave a patron a BJJ lesson in how to apply a RNC on the guy after he was fucked up.

Honestly when I'm training, I prefer being on the bottom and playing guard myself. With that said, I would never recommend being in guard unless you train with strikes. If you end up there try your go to sweep right away and get on top or stand up. I remember one occasion where i ended up on the botttom after being rushed. I was pretty content to work my guard and try to tap him( honestly just to see if i could. Dumb I know). What I realized quickly is strikes change everything.
Best i could do was cover up and kick him in the face. That fight really made me look at the self defense side of bjj alot more.

If you can't finish some random dude who's got zero grappling skills, your guard really needs some work, at least your guard with strikes... It's extremely easy to triangle someone who doesn't know what a triangle is...

I used waki gatame on a 10 year old kid that tried to steal my wallet at the airport in Nicaragua.

If you can't finish some random dude who's got zero grappling skills, your guard really needs some work, at least your guard with strikes... It's extremely easy to triangle someone who doesn't know what a triangle is...
He could have known what a triangle was, I didn't really feel like asking him. I do know he was smart enough to posture up when I went for it. So up kicking seemed like a better solution at the time.

its important to drill tds, but in SF terms, the most you will need is a single or double, but even more important is the ability to close the distance and establish the clinch. Its good to put on the gloves once in a while and train mma type of style, it will certanly give you more confidence on your skills, if all you do is sit on your ass and roll, well you wont have that much confidence in your game, specially if you are a small dude.

How can I do that when our professor always makes us starting sitting down?

I also bartend and starting working security 10 year ago. That was before i trained but still used the rnc all the time. Grappling works great for fights. No breaking your hand with a punch ( ive done that too). No hurting some one or leaving them swollen or bloody for the cops to press charges against you. Arms drags to back take has been my fail proof go to.

I suck at arm drags which I try to use when training no gi....

Back