Gus doesn’t even deserve a title shot

Gus back in that bridesmaid dress!

No in my opinion they’re not. So is this how it works now? If no one is deserving then they just pick someone at random because they had a tough fight with the Champ a few years ago?

Just put that title on hold untill something develops. Cormier has options at hw
LOL! Gus is clearly the number 1 contender. The whole reason dc got the he shot is cause they didn't have a number 1 contender and you go and say put the on hold cause he has options lol

I’d really love to know why gus believes he is so deserving of a title shot and is acting so high and mighty?

Lets take a look-

1) Only fought once last year?- check

2)Only fought once the year before? -check

3)only fought twice the year before that and lost them both ( Cormier and Johnson ) check.

Am I missing something?

The guy hasn’t fought more than twice in one year since 2011 and has basically fought once a year most of the time.

He’s 3-3 in his last 6 fights and those 6 fights have taken him almost 5 years to compete.

He was the #1 LHW contender who beat the #2 LHW contender in Glover Teixeira.
Check.

DC is ducking gus. Got his ass beat in the first fight and knows injury will ruin the brock fight if he's set on the retirement date. If Gus fought in two weeks against an unknown and got injured the dc fight for sure wouldn't hapoen. So why in the fuck would Gus fight that guy?

LOL! Gus is clearly the number 1 contender. The whole reason dc got the he shot is cause they didn't have a number 1 contender and you go and say put the on hold cause he has options lol
Why is he clearly the number one contender? Because he beat Glover over 14 months ago ? Does time just stand still if you don’t fight? Corey Anderson just beat Glover yesterday

As a Swede and a fan of Gus,
I think you are completely right. However, if you had to pick 1 challenger in the LHW division, who would it be? Who is more deserving? Some people put their hopes up in Shogun but he got knocked out by a can. The LHW division is a complete mess right now and no one is deserving of a title shot. If I had to pick someone, it would have to be Gus but ideally he needs one more win under his belt.

The only thing Gus (who runs like a bitch in every fight, looking to land sneaky cheap shit) deserves is to get KTFO.

Then lets have Gus vs Corey and see who is the better fighter, lol. Fine by me, it will be a massacre.
I wouldn’t be so sure about that buddy.

Gus has lost 4 times in his career and every loss is to a black guy with a good wrestling base.
The odds are not in his favour.

He has beaten manuwa and diabate so he is technically 2-4 against black Guys but the fact remains these two were primarily strikers.

<seedat>

His fights with Jones and DC showed he is at their level. That's enough for me. I want to see the most challenging contenders, not just throwing Shogun in there because he was on a win streak.

His last 3 fights are Glover (KO), Jan B (decision), and DC (split decision).

He is clearly the best LHW out there currently. He should get a title shot just based on that merit alone, fans should want to see the best possible match ups. He is also ranked 1st with the best win streak currently out of all contenders and the DC rematch would sell better than any other DC vs random LHW.

^^^

This guy gets it

If you are out for 12 months, you get dropped off the rankings.

If you were champ you get stripped.

You dont get to talk about title shots when you havent fought in a year (hear that Weidman?) You dont get to jump active fighters because you were once cool.

Enough of less than one fight a year couch potato fighters who tasted success a half a decade ago saying they "deserve" title shots. Drop them from the rankings at 12 months and 1 day. Strip them of their belts at 12 months and 1 day. If you are injured, tough. Sign a contract before 366 days have gone by or else get dropped.

As for LHW? Tournament time. Cormier started his MMA big time for a tournament, he can end it the same way if he doesnt want to get stripped of the LHW title.

Deserve title shots? GTFOOH.

That's the whole point, really.
He's still waiting for his title shot.
You are telling me he just deliberately sat out 14 months because he was waiting on a title shot ? For a two fight win streak over Jan Blachowicz and Glover Teixeira? He had lost two in a row prior to the Blachowicz fight and got the title shot against Cormier whilst coming off of a loss. He didn’t deserve his first title shot. He got his lights put out by Anthony Johnson and then walked right into a title shot ?

As a Swede and a fan of Gus,
I think you are completely right. However, if you had to pick 1 challenger in the LHW division, who would it be? Who is more deserving? Some people put their hopes up in Shogun but he got knocked out by a can. The LHW division is a complete mess right now and no one is deserving of a title shot. If I had to pick someone, it would have to be Gus but ideally he needs one more win under his belt.
I wouldn’t pick any of them and thats my point. No one deserves a title shot right now so I just don’t feel like they should just hand it out for the sake of having a title fight to people who don’t deserve it.

Now is a perfect time to just let the lhw division develop and let Cormier fight at heavyweight. Lhw has no deserving contender and it a pathetic shit show anyway . Something is not always better than nothing.

I’ve never disputed gus is probably the best Aside from jones but that doesn’t mean he has earned the right just yet.

You are telling me he just deliberately sat out 14 months because he was waiting on a title shot ? For a two fight win streak over Jan Blachowicz and Glover Teixeira? He had lost two in a row prior to the Blachowicz fight and got the title shot against Cormier whilst coming off of a loss. He didn’t deserve his first title shot. He got his lights put out by Anthony Johnson and then walked right into a title shot ?

Gus has been in line for a title shot for a long long time. It all started when Jones ducked him deliberately, then the fight with DC for the interim belt which was very close. From there on he lost only to Rumble who also got his title shot TWICE and lost both times. Alex has been sitting out in the meantime. He's up there for title contention, make no mistake about it. If Rumble can get it twice so should Gus.

NOW he can do as he pleases. Did his time, fought the best available lost and won against the best.

Sure. Just don't throw stones in glass houses while you're doing it.

I’d really love to know why gus believes he is so deserving of a title shot and is acting so high and mighty?

Lets take a look-

1) Only fought once last year?- check

2)Only fought once the year before? -check

3)only fought twice the year before that and lost them both ( Cormier and Johnson ) check.

Am I missing something?

The guy hasn’t fought more than twice in one year since 2011 and has basically fought once a year most of the time.

He’s 3-3 in his last 6 fights and those 6 fights have taken him almost 5 years to compete.

Have a like. +1 for your accurate analysis. I agree with you completely.

Gus has been in line for a title shot for a long long time. It all started when Jones ducked him deliberately, then the fight with DC for the interim belt which was very close. From there on he lost only to Rumble who also got his title shot TWICE and lost both times. Alex has been sitting out in the meantime. He's up there for title contention, make no mistake about it. If Rumble can get it twice so should Gus.

If Gus wants to secure a shot he should take on all challengers and fight as much as he can.

If he's afraid to fight because he might lose, then he doesn't deserve to be the champion. Simple.

Gus is my favourite lhw, but this whole whine and dine has soured him for me. I ll still root for him, but he needs to fight. Anthony smith, corey anderson both are good matchups

Back