GSPs camp for Bisping went terrible

I'm not denying what he did was neat to see. But if Bisping didn't have the belt, GSP would have still been taking an interview every other month saying how he wants to come back. The part that sucks is the whole belt situation that took 2 years to resolve and the best weight division is now a shadow of its former potential. GSP intended to build an even greater legacy for himself as a multi division champ and he waited until Michael fucking Bisping had it. Dream come true for GSP.

He had nothing to prove. He had an opportunity with lots of money attached to it. Let’s be honest and say that despite our collective assessment of Bisping’s career, he holds way more star power than Knuckles, Homero etc... risk/reward would not have made sense. This is pro sports and it is all about the dough and the belts.

And I do not buy the argument that MW was held up. It just ended being an unofficial tournament with lots of great fights. And now, it looks even more exciting. The only thing that pisses me off is that the Moose moved on to greener pastures

Forgive me but I did laugh when reading this bit - as though there are fight camps where the focus isn't on knocking out or submitting your opponent? Only with regards to Georges would such a thing even be said by a coach.

I'm not sure Fitch or Guida have ever had a fight camp where the focus WAS a KO or sub. There was a big period when Jacks/Wink was all about the point fight and not the finish. Pretty sure there are a LOT of fighters who dont focus on the finish in camp.

I'm not sure Fitch or Guida have ever had a fight camp where the focus WAS a KO or sub. There was a big period when Jacks/Wink was all about the point fight and not the finish. Pretty sure there are a LOT of fighters who dont focus on the finish in camp.
Fitch had finishes before and early in the UFC, but he did turn to point fighter. Guida had more subs and T(K)'s but did have fight streaks where he either won or lost by decision. I think they would work on things to get a finish, but in the fight it won't happen sometimes. I liked Guida for a time but he became a blanket. i wasn't expecting a KO in his last. Fitch was a wet blanket.

Fitch had finishes before and early in the UFC, but he did turn to point fighter. Guida had more subs and T(K)'s but did have fight streaks where he either won or lost by decision. I think they would work on things to get a finish, but in the fight it won't happen sometimes. I liked Guida for a time but he became a blanket. i wasn't expecting a KO in his last. Fitch was a wet blanket.

I'm not even really talking about their fights, but what they would focus on as the strategy for most of their camps. I know Fitch certainly worked a lot on his sub skills as did Guida to a lesser extent, but it was never the focus of their planning. For a good amount of their name fighters, Jacks/Wink pushed securing rounds over finishes at one point. All high level pro fighters work on skills that can secure a finish, but a much smaller number focus on that as their training strategy against opponents.

Back