GSP is not paying rent

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Koro_11, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Koro_11

Koro_11 Silver Belt

But Woodley's previous 3 fights ended in uneventful decisions.

At least GSP's decisions were action packed and dominant, going into last night Woodley had a decision win, a majority decision win, and a draw. GSP was 50-45 every time during his prime, not even comparable.

FuriousG, aerius and SKSer45 like this.
  2. Mob69

Mob69 Black Belt

I agree. This is a major problem with analysis of the sport. The MMA media are just as bad. Virtually every single PPV sees a media discussion about 'Is X now the greatest Y weight fighter of all time?' or 'Is Fighter A now one of the top P4P fighters ever?' etc.

The recency bias is pervasive - and pathetic. I once saw the same media members anoint four different P4P number 1 fighters in the space of four months. Utterly absurd. Very few media members or fans have any sense of the history of the sport. Considering that the sport has a pretty short history, and almost all of it can be accessed and watched online, that is sad.

3. riitzni

riitzni Silver Belt

Toluca Prison, hanging with the convicts and carvi
    This thread in it's entirety.

There ought to be a quiz for people to test if they're actually watching the sport or just got here because Woodley would get wrecked.

4. Ezekiel 25:17

Ezekiel 25:17 Blue Belt

Why all the hate ...

Dude did what anyone who already dominated a division and retired would do....come back for a legacy cash crop fight and bounce till the next one pops up

5. TheAmericanGazelle

TheAmericanGazelle Brown Belt

There are some things to say about ELO applied to MMA, but for a sense of proportion, consider this:

1. GSP 25K points
    2. Hughes 14K points
    3. Woodley 6K points

Hughes is that far ahead of Woodley because he has so many more wins/fights, but GSP has a semi-comparable amount of fights (28 to 23), and the amount of accomplishment and career value is not remotely close.

That's not a slight against Woodley, but rather a mark for just how far ahead of the pack GSP really was in and around his peak.

http://www.fightmatrix.com/all-time-mma-rankings/all-time-welterweight/

FuriousG and Koro_11 like this.
  6. Greco_Wiz

Greco_Wiz Brown Belt

The difference in accomplishments is night and day. I don’t think any rational person will argue otherwise. Woodley probably isn’t a top 20 goat. GSP is 1 or 2 without question.

That’s different from arguing prime vs prime though, which I think is a much closer comparison. I do think prime GSP beats Woodley, but I’ll also admit that Tyron is better than anyone GSP fought.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  7. SKSer45

SKSer45 Blue Belt

This is very true. No doubt that GSP was the most dominant Champ. I mean everyone know that he was going to win 50-45 and John Fitch almost died.

Be interesting to see what T can do in the next few fights. If he puts on some snooze fests he luster will go down too.

8. cburm

cburm Blue Belt

Gsp shoulda stayed retired then and fans wouldnt be talking

9. cburm

cburm Blue Belt

yea every fight ... Your on crack sherbro i remember gsp days the most boring champion to ever live oh yea the johnny hendricks fight he robbed was a 50-45 gtfo kid come on gsp fans are delusional.

10. Streeter

Streeter Brown Belt

Prine Gsp beats Woodley 50 45. Maybe even now

cburm likes this.
  11. cburm

cburm Blue Belt

Not really much truth in there...actualy just a gsp dick rider saying false things like he prolly was to young or didnt watch the sport in that era

12. cburm

cburm Blue Belt

Woodley today would smoke gsp i think everyone knows this. Gsp ducking any form of a loss cant go back to ww must lay n pray conor.

13. Sansnom

Sansnom Red Belt

All he said was true and the ones riding Woodley are the ones who are probably too young.

14. SKSer45

SKSer45 Blue Belt

We're no talking every fight. Talking about during his prime lol. Please, even I know that GSP escaped with his life against Hendrix and Survived one of the sweetest head kicks against Carlos. Not to mention survived Shields Eye pokes that were pretty blatant. Then again pretty damn good considering he had full ACL construction. Most fighters never comeback from that.

15. sgtrocknroll

sgtrocknroll Orange Belt

Bwamwahahahahahaah Roflmao!

16. Alpha_T83

Alpha_T83 Purple Belt

That's simply not true. WME-IMG still have more pull than Dana White. Plus, Conor/Khabib could change Dana's mind easily.

Let's say GSP fights Nate Diaz at 155 & wins, which I speculate he might do. Then let's suppose the Conor/Khabib winner calls out GSP, and GSP also wants to fight for the title. Do you think Dana White has the power to prevent that from happening? Not a chance in hell. Conor/Khabib could easily change his mind, and if they don't, WME-IMG will see the easy cash and overrule Dana.

ChoKuRei likes this.
  17. Si2k63

Si2k63 Yellow Belt

GSP has put better wrestlers than Woodley on their backs.

18. ANIM4L

ANIM4L Brown Belt

Did you see what Woodley did to Koscheck?

19. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Geodor GemeSianenPo

GSP beat Kos in his prime. Kos was soooo washed up when he fought woodley. Washed up mostly because he never recovered from that eye injury that GSP inflicted.

20. ANIM4L

ANIM4L Brown Belt

You can speculate it was the eye injury being the reason Woodley KO'd him or maybe Woodley is really good too.

I have tons of respect for GSP as a fighter and champion. He made his legacy in the division but times are changing. Woodley is calling him out and he wont accept the fight. Woodley is also creating a legacy and is doing what GSP did.