GSP is boring.. how was he ever PPV king?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He fought smart and safe while defending his title many times. I don't think he'll lose any sleep over casuals not being excited while he counts his millions.

Agreed with everything else you said, but this last statement the most.

And anyway casuals will always be casuals at the end of the day. If you don't have respect for GSP in MMA then that's all you'll ever be... a casual and nothing more.

Because not only was he a dominant champion in a higher weight class, but he was also fighting other huge names and #1 contenders in a very stacked division. There was hype going into each and every one of those fights.

I think there's at least 700,000 people in Canada, but aside from that I have no idea. I respect him as a talented martial artist, but theres just not much exciting to me about a jab, leg kick, superman punch, takedown and hold, 5 times in a row over 25 minutes. definitely the most non finishing champ of all time

He was a young, good looking, promising fighter. French canadian media really idolized him in Quebec. I think by walking out with the Canadian flag got the rest of Canada to support him. Just like Conor, he has a country that supports him.

Not coming from a fan of Mayweather, but GSP was PPV king for the same reasons Mayweather was a PPV king despite not being known for knocking people senseless. And I know there are major character differences between these two icons, but nonetheless, GSP was the ultimate well-rounded athlete the sport of MMA (in a cage) has ever known. Fights intelligently, wins more than consistently... constantly...5 round title fights, against deserving contenders...Not likely to necessarily attract the same audiences as Mayweather...not the same image...GSP is known for being a nice guy, got a great image, work ethic and is respected by all athletes within the world of MMA. Back in 2004-2005, he used to convince MMA noobs that they were watching a sport.

Now, about being boring, listen...I'm the biggest Wand fan out there, but GSP's style is more likely (and that's unfortunate) to make a career last longer, and prevent him from ugly losses when things get too wild. A guy who wins 10 in a row by taking guys down and dominating them on the ground without getting hit gets leverage to get a better contract, make serious money, then negociate PPV money - while staying healthy an not taking all sorts of damage. Keyboard warriors call this boring and fighting like a pussy, but the reality is, most people are more impressed by a guy who consistently performs well than a guy who fights like a berzerker and loses once in a while, and ends up washed out at 33 from being in too many wars.

Probably because MMA was on its way to becoming a legitimate sport back then so people tuned in to watch the best fight the best.

He used to be more exciting, was mostly dominant, and had an entire country behind him.

join date checks out

Been saying this since the fight was announced. The GSP hype is lost on Sherdog.

It would be interesting to know the actual percentage of Sherdoggers that were into mma when GSP first came up. It's probably about 50% that were even around when he retired. But how many were around for Parisyan, Hieron and Hughes 1 in 2004?

GSP brings an aura to the fight that you can't even really explain, even if you were there and remember it.

Gsp vs Hughes 1 was the 2nd PPV I ever watched live - didn't know who da fuck GSP was but remember him owning Hughes until the armbar counter to GSP's Kimura.

GSP has had some boring-ish fights, but he also has had a ton of great fights and really helped advance MMA IMO.

I think there's at least 700,000 people in Canada,
Appreciate your population stats are meant slightly ironically, but a lot of people do still seem to be lazily claiming "well there's a lot of people in Canada"

There are almost twice as many people in the UK and almost 3x as many people in Japan. But it's not like Bisping or Sexyama have ever been considered 'PPV dynamos'... even Bisping VERSUS Sexyama was not as popular as any GSP title fight. It's simply because people like to watch legends and witness greatness... and at the time that is what GSP represented. It has nothing to do with Canadian fans, American fans or fuckin Azerbaijini fans... it was simply the opportunity of watching a legend of the sport cement his legacy.

I respect him as a talented martial artist, but theres just not much exciting to me about a jab, leg kick, superman punch, takedown and hold, 5 times in a row over 25 minutes. definitely the most non finishing champ of all time

Ok if you never enjoyed GSP's fights that's fair enough. It wasn't everyone's cup of tea. But for TS to appear baffled as to why anyone ever looked forward to a GSP fight and question his popularity based on hindsight in a modern context is just ridiculous.

Watching some of GSP's old fights.. just wondering why he was ever popular? The majority of his fights go to decisions (all of his last 7 fights went to decision), he got beaten by a midget Matt Serra and he doesn't know how to trash talk. Why did people ever like the guy? Was it just because he was Canadian?
Compared to what? The bullshit Rousey and McGregor circus bullshit? The UFC is morphing into garbage.

St. Pierre really got popular around 2005 after he beat Trigg by submission. His popularity kept growing as he continued finishing people including Matt Hughes with a head kick. He was considered a finisher. He did that up until 2009 and then he stopped going for the kill.

He had already earned the fan base though. Affliction chose him to be the poster boy for their clothing that somehow people actually bought. He was a star.

Then he quit going for the kill and made promises he never kept. Some fans are so loyal they'll keep buying the B.S.

It isn't some mystery why he was a draw though, he earned it just didn't sustain it.

He was consistently over 700 thousand buys. Diaz fight did 950. Penn rematch was the same.. PPV these days without Conor or Jones is like 250.. And Jones will be long gone soon.
WME wishes they could get 250 with no superstar

Mainstream appeal = tiny little shorts, big muscled legs, pretty face, sexy Quebecquois accent.

"Sure honey, let's watch the PPV together."

GSP is excellent at what he does and many find his personality appealing.

your username is "mcgregor 49-1"................................ohh boy

Watching some of GSP's old fights.. just wondering why he was ever popular? The majority of his fights go to decisions (all of his last 7 fights went to decision), he got beaten by a midget Matt Serra and he doesn't know how to trash talk. Why did people ever like the guy? Was it just because he was Canadian?
McGregor was beat by Diaz, who didn't even train for the fight. If you want to bring the Serra thing up you might want to remember who you named your account after.

Last edited:
Having a whole country that is behind you and that is buying PPVs helps

I do believe its a bit of a mystery. I can take a stab at it though. For starters, talking trash wasn't nearly as requisite back then. That's a recent phenomenon. I mean, talking trash has always helped get more views but now it seems like all the fighers feel they have to. Secondly, i think its just a certain abstract dimension to him. The best word I can think of is his aura; the combination of his swagger, class, physique, and next level skill. He sort of captured people's imaginations back then and he burst on the scene and totally dominated (the 2nd time they fought) Matt Hughes who was seen as almost invincible. And had those few seminal moments (it doesn't take many) that burned into fans' consciousness like getting on his knees and begging Dana for the title shot and telling Hughes "I was not impressed with your performance" and also as noted by others, he was actually pretty entertaining to watch early on before Serra went off script on his head. Lastly, it didn't hurt that he had that certain something that made women love him..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back