GSP - Intermittent Fasting Changed My Life

Yes, it works well.
Lost 20 pounds of fat in 6 months, gained 5 pounds of muscle.
I do 16/8

But i did exercise lightly because of very hot summer.

This. Calories in, calories out - that's what actually matters. If you don't have your basic macros under control, no amount of fasting is going to help you, and if you do, you don't need fasting in the first place.

that's actually been proven false. People who eat maintenance calories and fast 18 hours a day have shown increase in LBM and decrease in fat.

Questions for intermittent fasters: Is this a lifestyle for you, or do you do this on and off? Also, what are some benefits that you personally have seen for yourself?

Questions for intermittent fasters: Is this a lifestyle for you, or do you do this on and off? Also, what are some benefits that you personally have seen for yourself?

It's a lifestyle for me.

Benefits: Digestive processes are a lot smoother, rarely have trouble in the bathroom. Also, I sleep better, feel more awake when i wake up, and have weight loss even though im eating roughly maintenance calories.

Actually I did this intermittent fasting whole my life without even knowning what it is because we usually skip breakfast in our family and just have lunch and dinner. Between dinner and lunch is the 16 hour gap and it really doesn't bother me at all.

Few people ask me how can I stop myself from eating in the morning but I simply drink some water until lunch or take an apple/fruit and I'm fine. I feel strange when someone forces me to eat breakfest. I don't have appetite early in the morning.

I guess that's why nobody in my family is fat, we are actually all very lean. I don't know if it's true but they say it slows down aging and most of us in the family look relatively young for our age. Could be just genetics but maybe this diet does help a little bit.

Anyone looking to lose weight should definitely try this.

This is a stupid diet and breakfast is the most important, and should be the biggest meal of the day. No to fad extremist diets. Garbage bro science. It's a really stupid idea that kills your metabolism. You should be eating many small meals throughout the day even if not hungry. You are hurting your body with these ridiculous blood sugar spikes and the duration between them.

In conclusion, there really are a number of reasons as to why breakfast should be considered the most important meal of the day. The decision about if and what to eat and drink at the start of the day has been shown to have some profound effects on our health, well-being, and cognitive performance.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1878450X17300045

Last edited:
I've been doing intermittent fasting with the ketogenic diet for 6 months. It got me into the best shape that I've been, in my life. I lost 20 lb of mostly fat. I've stopped the ketogenic diet now but am still fasting. It's not easy to stay on the ketogenic diet long-term, since it lacks balance, but fasting is pretty easy once you adapt to skipping breakfast. I have lunch at 12 pm but sometimes I can push it further to 2 or 3pm, then have dinner at 6 or 7 pm.

GSP is right intermittent fasting really works. He said he sleeps well, but his weight stays the same and muscle mass is grown. He wished he knew intermittent fasting before. For me I couldn't lose my belly fat for few years no matter how hard I train and eat clean. After intermittent fasting few weeks I finally started losing my belly fat. Now I even have 2 packs. I eat during 6 hours a day and 18 hours without food. Just drink water mostly during that 18 hours. If you struggling to lose belly fat you should try this method. It really works!

I do serving similar, only I call it taking stimulants

I do 12-14hrs a day (although summer kinda threw me off).

I have added the Keto diet now (will try it for 2 months) and continue to do 12-14hrs fast.

Have leaned out quit a bit but still strong as I was and have more energy (now that I am back to training more).

Tip. Start gradually for the avg person. Begin with a 12/12, then go 14/10, 16/8 etc.
I get great results. 45 years old. My body fat is where it was when I was a teen. It works if you're consistent.

Dry fasting (no water) as they do in Ramadan is bad, but fasting in general is good.
Dry fasting is okay once in a while. Once a year, twice max. It helps regenerate old cells

Thanks TS,

This topic really interests me.

I consider myself a pretty intuitive guy and intermittent fasting makes sense to me in the type of time ratios you speak of. I could see only eating between noon and 6pm and not eating the next 18 hours. That almost certainly aligns with our evolutionary eating habits.

I am still not at all sold on regular fasting (not eating for X days) providing the proper type of long term benefits and i think intuitively it is easy to see why it would be bad and send the wrong signals to the body and metabolism.

So TS, what hours are you allowing yourself to eat and do you break from that when you are outside your home routine and say, out on a date or with friends and/or work colleagues??

Tip. Start gradually for the avg person. Begin with a 12/12, then go 14/10, 16/8 etc.
I get great results. 45 years old. My body fat is where it was when I was a teen. It works if you're consistent.
Thanks man! That's a great tip. Appreciate it.

This. Calories in, calories out - that's what actually matters. If you don't have your basic macros under control, no amount of fasting is going to help you, and if you do, you don't need fasting in the first place.
I used to think that way but I think it is way too simplistic.

For instance if your entire days calories are McD's and someone else's is pescatarian/Vegetarian you will not have the energy levels they do which means you will not be able to build or maintain muscle as well. So while you might not get fatter if you manage the calories in and out, you will not be in as good a shape.

that's actually been proven false. People who eat maintenance calories and fast 18 hours a day have shown increase in LBM and decrease in fat.
Oh, phlese. There's a bunch of research on the topic and far from everything out there paints a positive picture. Take this one, for example:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/article-abstract/2623528

Effect of Alternate-Day Fasting on Weight Loss, Weight Maintenance, and Cardioprotection Among Metabolically Healthy Obese Adults

Question: Is alternate-day fasting more effective for weight loss and weight maintenance compared with daily calorie restriction?

Findings: This randomized clinical trial included 100 metabolically healthy obese adults. Weight loss after 1 year in the alternate-day fasting group (6.0%) was not significantly different from that of the daily calorie restriction group (5.3%), relative to the no-intervention control group.

Results: "Mean high-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels at month 6 significantly increased among the participants in the alternate-day fasting group, but not at month 12, relative to those in the daily calorie restriction group. Mean low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels were significantly elevated by month 12 among the participants in the alternate-day fasting group compared with those in the daily calorie restriction group."

Note how fasting patients had their LDL levels actually elevated, which is actually bad, since the ratio of HDL and LDL is a cardiovascular risk disease marker.

The takeaway: don't stuff your fookin' face and you won't need any fad "diets" or dubious fasting methods, lmao.

For instance if your entire days calories are McD's and someone else's is pescatarian/Vegetarian you will not have the energy levels they do which means you will not be able to build or maintain muscle as well. So while you might not get fatter if you manage the calories in and out, you will not be in as good a shape.

your insulin in your body manages much of your body's energy management as well. If your insulin is constantly spiking, your body isn't burning as much body fat as it could be for example. If you're interested in this stuff, I'd highly recommend looking up Dr. Jason Fung. He's the doctor that introduced GSP to the idea and he has a lot of interesting science to back up what he says.

Yeah. IF is just easier for some folks as a way to adhere to not eating too much. I've done IF, I've also eaten 3-4 meals a day, in the end it's calories (although it's far easier to eat mostly protein, fat, then carbs to stay in a deficit). And of course working out helps since it can curb your appetite.

I'm talking about macros aka fat, protein, carbs. Micros are a whole different level and I'm not even going to to touch it due to the complexity of the issue.

Oh, phlese. There's a bunch of research on the topic and far from everything out there paints a positive picture. Take this one, for example:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/article-abstract/2623528

Effect of Alternate-Day Fasting on Weight Loss, Weight Maintenance, and Cardioprotection Among Metabolically Healthy Obese Adults

Question: Is alternate-day fasting more effective for weight loss and weight maintenance compared with daily calorie restriction?

Findings: This randomized clinical trial included 100 metabolically healthy obese adults. Weight loss after 1 year in the alternate-day fasting group (6.0%) was not significantly different from that of the daily calorie restriction group (5.3%), relative to the no-intervention control group.

Results: "Mean high-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels at month 6 significantly increased among the participants in the alternate-day fasting group, but not at month 12, relative to those in the daily calorie restriction group. Mean low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels were significantly elevated by month 12 among the participants in the alternate-day fasting group compared with those in the daily calorie restriction group."

Note how fasting patients had their LDL levels actually elevated, which is actually bad, since the ratio of HDL and LDL is a cardiovascular risk disease marker.

The takeaway: don't stuff your fookin' face and you won't need any fad "diets" or dubious fasting methods, lmao.

you actually just said exactly what I said, but you didn't even realize it because you don't know what you're arguing. the study you just provided proved my point-- alternate day fasting provided weight loss even without calorie restriction. The study also doesn't show what types of foods each person is eating, their macro/micro balances, etc. You should read more and try to sound less obnoxious.

Back