GSP- interesting stats

Otto!

Steel Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Interesting to look at how much everyone's record declined after they lost to GSP. Here is the comparison of their streaks prior to fighting GSP, and then their fights after GSP.

Last 10 fights before GSP:

Hendricks: 9-1
Diaz: 9-1
Condit: 9-1
Shields: 10-0
Koscheck: 7-3
Dan Hardy: 9-1
Thiago Alves: 9-1
BJ: 7-3
Fitch: 10-0

After they fought GSP:

Hendricks: 2-4
Diaz: 1NC
Condit: 2-4
Shields: 5-4-1 NC
Koscheck: 2-5
Dan Hardy: 3-2
Thiago Alves: 4-5
BJ: 3-5-1 draw
Fitch: 11-4-1 draw (Fitch seems to have done better than most since GSP)

Thoughts?

GSP stole souls

The jake shields downfall makes me feel bad. Never the same after his dad died

Interesting to look at how much everyone's record declined after they lost to GSP. Here is the comparison of their streaks prior to fighting GSP, and then their fights after GSP.

Last 10 fights before GSP:

Hendricks: 9-1
Diaz: 9-1
Condit: 9-1
Shields: 10-0
Koscheck: 7-3
Dan Hardy: 9-1
Thiago Alves: 9-1
BJ: 7-3
Fitch: 10-0

After they fought GSP:

Hendricks: 2-4
Diaz: 1NC
Condit: 2-4
Shields: 5-4-1 NC
Koscheck: 2-5
Dan Hardy: 3-2
Thiago Alves: 4-5
BJ: 3-5-1 draw
Fitch: 11-4-1 draw (Fitch seems to have done better than most since GSP)

Thoughts?
Most fighters don't have lower ranked opponents to help their streak after a title shot. Usually they only verse top five guys. They're just versing better comp more consistently.

Most guys are at the tail end of their career too. So decline comes into play with recent losses aswell.

Last edited:
Good interesting stats. Cheers.

I'm not surprised. Most go into the GSP fight on a good run and confident. Only to get completely man handled and thoroughly beaten. It must be disheartening to know the best in the division is in a different league to you.

#GSPBless

Most fighters don't have lower ranked opponents to help their streak after a title shot. Usually they only verse top five guys. They aren't declining, they're just versing better comp more consistently.
Good point.

Most fighters don't have lower ranked opponents to help their streak after a title shot. Usually they only verse top five guys. They aren't declining, they're just versing better comp more consistently.
Right. You have to be on a pretty good streak to get a title shot. Once you get it, win or lose, you are going to be fighting top ranked fighters.

Right. You have to be on a pretty good streak to get a title shot. Once you get it, win or lose, you are going to be fighting top ranked fighters.
True, but keep in mind that they beat tough contenders on the way up too.

Makes you appreciate win streaks. Especially in the WW division.

Hendricks was never the same after the beating GSP gave him.

Thoughts?

I was going to post exactly this. I wouldn't totally dismiss decline as a factor, though.

Nah, it's an anomaly that only happened to Big Rig.

GSP beatdowns possibly result in different anomalies for each fighter, which further makes GSP believe he is being abducted by aliens?

Thoughts?

I was going to post exactly this. I wouldn't totally dismiss decline as a factor, though.
I'm just generalising. Guys like BJ declined hard. Some of the recent losses are probably due to declining as well. Most of those guys are in the twilight of their career.

After witnessing true greatness constructed via ocd training, they lost all hope to reach this level of goat discipline and motivation.

gsp fought guys at their best
Yep.

This is Why Gsp will always be the undisputed GOAT over Anderson/Jones

You look at the people Jones and Anderson fought, and their opponents hardly ever had long winning streaks coming into their fights

And especially in Jones case, Jones hardly ever beat anyone in their PRIME

Jones has yet to ever decisively even beat anyone his size

Heck, ONLY 2 of Jones opponents even had winning streaks of more then 3 coming into their fights with Jones lol

You look at the winning percentages of Jones opponents and its terrible

Jones is soooo over rated its not even funny

Statistically Conor has beaten far superior opponents who have far higher winning percentages

Conor and Gsp have that in common.

Conor and Gsp beat legit opponents who are/were at the absolute pinnacle of their primes

Conor was the one who ended Aldo's streak.

Conor is one of only 2 fighters to ever smash Mendes and smashed Mendes 2.0.

Conor smashed Alvarez who was 28-4 and Alvarez was off a winning streak at LW where he had taken out Chandler, Pettis, Melendes, RDA etc.

As far as im concerned Gsp and and Conor are the ONLY REAL GOATS of MMA (Fedor too)

Anderson, Jones, and Mini-Mouse are insanely over rated hype jobs

I think GSP was so dominant, that WW's viewed challenging GSP as a form of title among WW's.

Besides Hendricks how many even tried to win?? Maybe Shields with his eye pokes, even he was content on making it to a deciaion, as if losing a decision to GSP was the highest achievement in the sport, and there was no where to go from there. They joined the elite, and gave them a sense of pride that they were better than others.

Back