Good guy with a gun (uniformed cop) at Parkland Highschool shooting didn't engage shooter...

I would have risked it to save the kids. I would have tried to play it smart as possible, and that may have cost a couple lives, but I would have gone in.

As a lawyer, I can say that there may well be a lawsuit and it will be extremely embarrassing for the sheriff and the department, but it's un-winnable. There's absolutely no law, legal precedent or argument that would support a judgment against the sheriff's office or the officer(s) at the scene. They'd have a better chance suing the school district but that's a loser too. Wouldn't be surprised if the sheriff ends up resigning though, he's gonna get dragged through the mud big time.

The only way there would be a case is if the officer had a chance to take him down beforehand, had some contact with the shooter, and failed to act there. It's true; generally the police have no duty to protect the public at large. This situation calls into question that legal doctrine, honestly. Again, certain specific circumstances could make the officer liable to individuals who were killed, but we have no facts at all that make it point that way.

Did he call for backup? I think it would be ok to not run into automatic fire if he called. If he just hid, well that's another thing.

Asked a friend from grade school who became a cop his thoughts.

"As a LEO, it is appalling. I can’t believe anyone with the ability to prevent even one kids death, would do anything other than try like Hell to do just that. That LEO is spineless and a bunch of other words I won’t post here."

We just had active shooter training today. What they said was cops prior to Columbine were supposed to wait for the SWAT team. Nowadays they wait till there are four or more cops to go in
This is what I've been wondering. This guy, the campus officer scot Peterson has been portrayed as a horrible coward, but having him run in there alone seems crazy and (I'm not a cop or ever had any training) it doesn't seem like what they would train someone to do without any backup, or knowledge about the shooter. Sending him running in seems like a recipe for either him to accidentally shoot the wrong person or just get blasted himself

As a lawyer, I can say that there may well be a lawsuit and it will be extremely embarrassing for the sheriff and the department, but it's un-winnable. There's absolutely no law, legal precedent or argument that would support a judgment against the sheriff's office or the officer(s) at the scene. They'd have a better chance suing the school district but that's a loser too. Wouldn't be surprised if the sheriff ends up resigning though, he's gonna get dragged through the mud big time.

Good point regarding day of shooting.
What about the multiple interactions with suspect?

I am wondering how much you can actually do about it. Your instincts are probably making the decision at this time.
I would, of course, like to think I would have gone in there. Especially if that was my job and considering the victims.
But if your instincts take over there isn't much rational thinking you can do.
Different from trained combat soldiers were they especially try to train you so your instincts don't overwrite your rational thought and you can react according to your training.

But obviously, he should be fire because he can't do the job.

Good point regarding day of shooting.
What about the multiple interactions with suspect?
As far as the previous reports of him making threats and stuff like that? You could argue that there was some negligence there but it'd still be a stretch. I don't know the details but from what I know it doesn't seem like his comments reached the level of a criminal threat, in which case there is only so much that can be done. Part of freedom of speech is that you can't just arrest everyone that makes a vague threat or some stupid statement. Combine that with school counseling/mental health programs that are underfunded and what can you really expect?

Yeah that Walt was a cheeky motherfucker:

Shut not your doors to me, proud high schools,
For that which was lacking among you all, yet needed most, I bring;
A rifle I have made for your dear sake, O students,
And for you, O football coach, and you, athletic director;
The bullets of my gun mean nothing, the firing of them everything;
A rifle semiautomatic, not banned in Florida, nor caught by campus cops;
But you will feel every bullet, O Libtard! un-arm’d Libtard!
They shall pass through your flesh to swim the air, the walls,
With joy in slaughtering you, O students.

Legit LOL, well done.

It wasn't just him though, there were 3 other deputies there that stayed outside. The cops had no problem going in when they showed up.

This is what I've been wondering. This guy, the campus officer scot Peterson has been portrayed as a horrible coward, but having him run in there alone seems crazy and (I'm not a cop or ever had any training) it doesn't seem like what they would train someone to do without any backup, or knowledge about the shooter. Sending him running in seems like a recipe for either him to accidentally shoot the wrong person or just get blasted himself

It wasn't just him though, there were 3 other deputies there that stayed outside. The cops had no problem going in when they showed up.
Yeah that's different and that's just come out in the news recently, but this guy scot Peterson has been getting destroyed in the press all week. The 3 other guys haven't even had their names released

Because you fail to recognize the BASIC difference between protecting themselves in the pursuit of their DUTY vs sitting outside listening to kids get killed. I can't even have a conversation with you. I just can't.

I understand that you're considering part of their BASIC DUTY to protect these children. So either you're cool with the whole not protecting and serving thing, or you're a hypocrite. We don't need a conversation to make that clear.

<22>

As far as the previous reports of him making threats and stuff like that? You could argue that there was some negligence there but it'd still be a stretch. I don't know the details but from what I know it doesn't seem like his comments reached the level of a criminal threat, in which case there is only so much that can be done. Part of freedom of speech is that you can't just arrest everyone that makes a vague threat or some stupid statement. Combine that with school counseling/mental health programs that are underfunded and what can you really expect?

Credible threats are actionable. Having guns and saying you're gonna shoot up a place you have access to is a good start.

You had one job man!

Pretty much really only one job and thats protect students im assuming.

Breaking News - Cops are paid to be heroes, not cowards.
I remember the hollywood shootings, 2 guys with AK's were going off. Cops came and took cover and cornered the guys. They were vastly underpowered to go head on with such opponents, and I dont blame them.

it's easier to say the guy was a coward, and he may very well be, but I've got to say that I'de approach with extreme caution as I'de be way out of my league in firepower.

I dont know the logistics of the situation, so I cant judge the fella.

I remember the hollywood shootings, 2 guys with AK's were going off

Then you remember those shooters had body armor, and their handguns were ineffective.

I'd be interesting to hear if these cops in Florida had their body armor on, since we know Nicholas Cruz didn't have any.

when your a cop and you've received training to be in these type of situations than there is no forgiving these cowardly actions. Normal people like teachers even with guns can freeze and that can be forgiven but a trained professional should earn his hazard pay. This guy was a plain coward

Agreed.

Here's Nixon appointee Warren Burger:

BpDkoScIAAEwN0F.jpg

He may be correct, but let's be honest here. Chief Justice Burger was liberal, not conservative even though he declared himself a Republican.

I don't know what the protocol is for situations like this, like if he was supposed to wait for backup or something, during an active shooter situation.

On the surface though, it sounds like he was just being a giant pussy.

Unless he is a total piece of shit, he will likely have those 17 poor souls on his conscience for quite some time.
I could have swore multiple times the news said the protocol after Sandy Hook is go in there and engage the shooter because hanging out safely outside will mean more little kids dead. They cited at least one instance where the shooter killed himself the moment good guys with guns showed up for firefight.

A ton of hate and criticism is being dumped on Scot Peterson, the campus police officer at the Florida school where the recent shooting occurred because he stayed outside to wait for backup during the shooting rather than going inside to "kill the killer".

To me, it seems like he is being totally scapegoated. It seems pretty unreasonable to expect the guy to go in, not knowing what is going on and with just a pistol and no backup. Seems crazy but the guy is being portrayed as a coward and partially responsible, and has been essentially forced to retire.

If anyone out there is a cop or former cop, wouldn't the normal, standard operating procedure in that situation be to secure the outside of the area and wait for backup? Do they instruct officers or teach them at academy to go in alone in such a situation?

UPDATE: it's come out that maybe there were multiple officers that stayed outside, which is obviously a different situation. But assuming an officer alone, would they be following procedure to go in without backup in this type of situation?

Last year, three members of the Religion of Peace drove a car into a crowd of people in London. They were armed with 12 inch knives and wearing fake suicide vests(to try and make coppers keep their distance). Before armed coppers could arrive, they were tackled by a British Transport Police copper who was unarmed except for an extendable baton. He was facing three men with knives, but didn't hesitate to get stuck in, and he almost certainly saved lives. At the cost of being seriously injured and scarred for life himself. When armed back did arrive, they didn't let the fake bomb vests deter them either. They shot the bastards down like mad dogs as soon as they had sights on target.

The reason Officer Yellow-Belly is getting shit on from a great height is because he fucking deserves it. And so do the other three gutless bastards who apparently stood outside and let unarmed children be murdered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back