Golden boy is the future of MMA

He has a long way to go then.

The dude brought soulless Chuck Liddell out of retirement for a quick buck. Created a garbage card for it and failed to promote it at all.

Only time will tell if he's serious about it.

It won't be Golden Boy. Was a DLH fan as a fighter, but as a promoter, he ended up just like all the other greedy promoters, only dumber.

His dumb promotion seems to have worked out well for Canelo

Just reading the title of this made me not want to read the rest. GOLDEN BOY IS THE FUTURE OF MMA? <Lmaoo>

Less.

It's a terrible model if you can't draw. Again, that's the risk you take as a fighter. But if you have the name recognition to push sales, it's a more favorable fighter model.
you keep saying “model” and talking about how great the “model” is. what’s the “model”

Future of this thread: wasteland

TS needs to stfu with this nonsense.

Camsoda is more likely to have a second event than golden boy

Hi Oscar, didn't know you posted on Sherdog.

Maybe you have heard of these guys? Or maybe not, if you don't research the past, since none of them exist anymore.

logo-elitexc.jpg

ProElite-Logo.jpg

afflictionlogo.jpg

Pride_Logo.jpg

280px-Logo_WEC.jpg

StrikeforceLogo.JPG

DreamLogo_onBlack.jpg

yamma-pit-fighting-poster.gif

f00d600df6db0ab7470d29807daa62f2.jpg

The "future" looks an awful lot like the past.

Oscar seems to get a lot of hate here. Yes, his first show wasn't strong. Yes, the under card fighters get dicked. But if you're a fighter that's confident in your ability to push out at least 250k ppvs without the UFC branding, you'll earn more with Oscar's model than Dana's.

The UFC takes all of the risk in their model but also takes most of the reward. Oscar's model assumes minimal risk, but only takes a fraction of the reward.

Whether it be through Golden boy or someone else, I hope to see some fighters explore that model and earn what they deserve. Guys are making 8-9 million on 300k ppvs under this model, in the UFC they'd be lucky to break 2.

It is an inevitability that we get the boxing model in MMA.

No, it's not. The UFC builds fighters, Oscars "org" is just another promotion that's going to try and bank on name recognition that was built in the UFC.

Eventually a fighter with clout will attempt their ability to self promote a fight, and we'll move into the boxing model. For better or worse!
How many fighters have that type of clout. I can only think of one currently- Connor. The problem with moving to a boxing model is all the good fighters are signed to organizations. It would take lots of time for fighters to fight out their contracts in order to fight for the new organization. So the first few cards would be Connor vs ? and many unsigned fighters fighting each other. This is the problem Oscar had, one fight with names and not much else. If I was an elite fighter I would do what Rory MacDonald, Eddie Alvarez and most recently Sage Northcutt did and use Bellator , UFC and One Championship to bid against each other.

More competition is always a good thing, and hopefully this will drive up fighter pay in the UFC, but the UFC is turning into the WWE anyway so even if fighter pay goes up the content is still turning into absolute trash.

How many fighters have that type of clout. I can only think of one currently- Connor. The problem with moving to a boxing model is all the good fighters are signed to organizations. It would take lots of time for fighters to fight out their contracts in order to fight for the new organization. So the first few cards would be Connor vs ? and many unsigned fighters fighting each other. This is the problem Oscar had, one fight with names and not much else. If I was an elite fighter I would do what Rory MacDonald, Eddie Alvarez and most recently Sage Northcutt did and use Bellator , UFC and One Championship to bid against each other.

Conor has enough clout that he can hard ball the UFC anyway.

Guys like Dc, Jon Jones, Cyborg, hell even CM punk would make more with the boxing model. Look at what Logan Paul managed to do, guy had an 11 million dollar revenue stream ppv promoting his own event.

Future of this thread: wasteland

TS needs to stfu with this nonsense.

Chuck made 2.8 million on a ppv that sold 980k. In the boxing model, he'd have pocketed at least 20 million of that.

Chances of MMA getting to the boxing model are very slim to none.

It takes two to do big numbers even in boxing. Good luck with that with the way MMA is set up around the world.

I won't sit here also and think the boxing model is great. Truth is its a mess and always has been. It is probably even more lopsided in terms of payout than MMA. Sure the top in boxing make a killing and the guys on the fringe of that upper tier do good. But after that they fight for scraps just like MMA. Those top guys in boxing are more or less the promoter and greedy as hell to just like MMA promoters. At least the MMA promoter is usually employing a lot of fighters and giving them multiple opportunities each year to make money.

Back