Gil-Stephens Shows How Good Frankie Edgar Is

mkt

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Gil and Frankie are the same age (35). Their fight histories are similar:
  • The total number of fights is almost identical (Gil-29, Frankie-28)
  • Gil has been in 7 fights that went over 3 rounds. Frankie has been in 10 (he may hold the record?)
If anything, Frankie has taken been in more wars. He came back from the living dead twice against Maynard. He also got hurt badly from a 1st round upkick in the first Bendo fight. Gilbert's decline is typical for a smaller (LW or below fighter). Most of them start deteriorating in their early to mid-30s. Frankie, however, has shown some amazing longevity:
  • Frankie recently beat the same Jereme Stephens who defeated Gil and brutalized his leg
  • Frankie has never been finished
  • Except for a 2008 loss to Maynard, he's only lost to the LW or FW champ in title fights. He's never lost to another contender. And I'd argue that he beat Bendo in their rematch. That was a semi-robbery IMO.
I'm not trying to put down Gil...just recognizing Frankie's great career and endurance. While Gil, Bendo, Josh Thomson and maybe even Eddie Alvarez are declining, Frankie's still beating everyone but the champ. If Aldo didn't have his number, he'd probably be a GOAT FW by this point, too. I wish he'd moved to BW a few years ago where I think he'd also have done great.

Frankie is a mythical creature indeed.

Frankie is one of the best fighters today at 35 years old. Crazy

You just cursed him

Father Time reaps him next fight

You just cursed him

Father Time reaps him next fight

Heh, I hope not. However, once he loses to a contender, it's over. The same thing happened to Urijah Faber, who also beat everyone but the champ for years.

Good thread. Frankie got started a bit later, but he has done a lot more in his time. Years ago, I never would have imagined Gil being dominated by Stephens.

Frankie is still standing tall, and he really is one of the best fighters. I hope he can take out Max and secure his position as one of the GOATs.

Frankie is one of the best fighters today at 35 years old. Crazy

Especially for a FW. 35 is almost young for a HW these days, but you see very few guys his age at LW or below doing anything but...well, losing.

• Gil has been in 7 fights that went over 3 rounds. Frankie has been in 10 (he may hold the record?)
If anything, Frankie has taken been in more wars. He came back from the living dead twice against Maynard. He also got hurt badly from a 1st round upkick in the first Bendo fight. Gilbert's decline is typical for a smaller (LW or below fighter). Most of them start deteriorating in their early to mid-30s. Frankie, however, has shown some amazing longevity:
  • Frankie recently beat the same Jereme Stephens who defeated Gil and brutalized his leg
  • Except for a 2008 loss to Maynard, he's only lost to the LW or FW champ in title fights. He's never lost to another contender. And I'd argue that he beat Bendo in their rematch. That was a semi-robbery IMO.
I'm not trying to put down Gil...just recognizing Frankie's great career and endurance. While Gil, Bendo, Josh Thomson and maybe even Eddie Alvarez are declining, Frankie's still beating everyone but the champ. If Aldo didn't have his number, he'd probably be a GOAT FW by this point, too. I wish he'd moved to BW a few years ago where I think he'd also have done great.

Not really. One is a .500 fighter and other other is worse.
In the UFC that is.

Not really. One is a .500 fighter and other other is worse.
In the UFC that is.

I assume you meant +0.500 fighter referring to Frankie? 16-5-1 in the UFC is a lot better than a 50% win rate.

Frankie is a beast, no two ways about it.

At first, I really fucking hated him due to my undying love of BJ Penn - but how long can you hate someone that keeps coming back and smashing guys.

not sure putting Gil down is best way to go about it. Gil was considered a top 3'ish (some slightly higher, some a lil lower, nobody below top 5) since 2006'ish. Frankie didn't get that crown until 2010 and even then, he had to beat BJ in a rematch to get there. Gil has been fighting at the top a bit longer, but, considering recent years and activity, yes, Frankie has looked much better.

Frankie is amazing and I think he's one of the best to ever do it.

It bums me out because i had really high hopes for him but i am convinced Melendez is done.
The problem is he doesn't fight very frequently.
A fighter can lose a few and get back on track, but when you're dropping your only fight of the year, year after year, something's got to give.

Frankie's awesome, but Gil was injured. His damn corner let him take a beating on one leg, with basically no hope of winning.

You are only as good as your last fight. Yair Frankie shows how good he is.

If Frankie wins another belt, he is p4p ahead of Ducky Mouse.

He could fight at 135 I bet and won the 155 belt ffs lol

They are made up of different stuff, some guys just defy all norms.

Frankie was made for fighting, so was gil in a way but in the last fight it looked like his body was more made for cooking BBQ in his backyard.

Good thread. Frankie got started a bit later, but he has done a lot more in his time. Years ago, I never would have imagined Gil being dominated by Stephens.

Frankie is still standing tall, and he really is one of the best fighters. I hope he can take out Max and secure his position as one of the GOATs.
I wasn't a big fan of Gil's, but did root for him in some fights. I'm glad my co worker didn't ask me about this fight to bet. I enjoyed him in Strikeforce. But wouldn't have expected him to go on a skid, like he has. Fought some decent guys, but gettin up there in age. Lil Heathen is tough but i would have thought Gil had this.
I too hope Frankie can get that strap. one of faves. His fight against Tyson was great..Should be the "Heart' not tapping to that leg lock. I like Max too. But hope Frankie wins..

Gil was considered a top 3'ish (some slightly higher, some a lil lower, nobody below top 5) since 2006'ish. Frankie didn't get that crown until 2010 and even then, he had to beat BJ in a rematch to get there.

True, but I think Frankie faced better competition overall. Gilbert's best opponent was Josh Thomson, and honestly I think Josh won their last fight (despite what the judges said)...which would make him 1-2 vs. Josh if I were the judge. Masvidal is a solid opponent but he was really passive in that fight...and never proved to be an elite LW in the UFC. Aoki and Kawajiri were great in their day at Japanese (ring-based) MMA...but neither ever excelled in a cage. I didn't regard either of those wins as highly as most people did...especially after what Eddie Alvarez did to Aoki shortly after that.

Great thread.

I am a long time fan of both Gil and Frankie. I have watched their entire careers. I agree with this analysis.

Frankie used great movement and footwork against Stephens. His chin and toughness also had to come into play after Jeremy tagged him.

Gil started out looking normal but as soon as that leg was damaged he was target practice.

Even if his calf wasn't so badly hurt, Gil would have still had a harder time getting away from Stephens than Frankie did. And like you said, that is not a knock on Giblert because he used to be an elite fighter. But somehow someway Frankie is still an elite fighter 10 years later. Frankie is such a special fighter

Back