Gil-Stephens Shows How Good Frankie Edgar Is

This isn't a fair comparison. Giblert was busted for PEDs, and obviously has never looked the same since. There's no business comparing this version of Gilbert to Frankie. Its not like Gil just got worse with time. He got fucked by USADA, that's what happened.

Long time fan of Gil, and still a supporter of him being in the Hall of Fame, but lets call it like it is. Gil is done... and its okay.

Or... there's always Bellator.

So you are comparing Edgar with a fighter of the same age and almost the same amount of fights? Why? That's where the similarities end. There are lots of fighters that are of the same age and have similar amount of fights. Melendez is a good fighter but he was never amongst the elite. Age has nothing to do with it, he simply is a step or two behind the elite of the elite. His best win is probably against Thomson and Sanchez, not exactly world beaters but good fighters nonetheless. I'm a fan of his but it has become pretty evident that he was quite overrated and Nate Diaz has been wrong all along, Melendez isn't the #1 lightweight (or featherweight) in the world.

Frankie is easily in my top 10 favorite fighters of all time but using gil as an example of how good Frankie is is pretty retarded.Gil lost to 3 former champions two in real close split decisions,lost to Barboza whose amazing and got injured right off the bat vs Stephens.With a little different judging his record could look a ton different and that injury was unfortunate.I don't think Gil has gone downhill much he's just had some tough breaks.I think Edgar is the man but this comparison is shit.

Henderson beat Frankie,Alvarez,Pettis and Barboza would have a good chance of beating Frankie.If he had that line up and an unfortunate injury he could be 1-5 right now.Frankie's just a better fighter so why make it all about age?Gil is probably as good as he's ever been or close to it,he just lost to the best guys in the world and got hurt in his last fight.

Melendez has always been overrated. i am not too sure why people think he's so good. hes 1 dimensional even tho he comes from cesar gracie...

Frankie is definitely one of the best and while he won't go down as a GOAT he can still be one of the few to hold belts in different weight classes if he can get past Holloway. War Fe!

not sure putting Gil down is best way to go about it. Gil was considered a top 3'ish (some slightly higher, some a lil lower, nobody below top 5) since 2006'ish. Frankie didn't get that crown until 2010 and even then, he had to beat BJ in a rematch to get there. Gil has been fighting at the top a bit longer, but, considering recent years and activity, yes, Frankie has looked much better.

Frankie is amazing and I think he's one of the best to ever do it.
now you're overrating Gilbert

I won't be surprised if they have Frankie fighting some retard artem lobov next.

,Alvarez,Pettis and Barboza would have a good chance of beating Frankie.

I doubt it. Perhaps the weight cut had something to do with it, but look how poorly Pettis did at FW compared to Frankie. Frankie's iron chin, movement and wresting (given Pettis' poor TD) make him a strong favorite. Alvarez and Frankie are good friends and training partners and probably wouldn't fight...but again, look how Eddie has done outside of the RDA fight. His only real chance is a one-punch KO IMO, and no one has finished Frankie. Edgar outwrestled a prime Maynard in their last 2 fights, so I don't think wrestling would work for Eddie, either.

Barboza is a little more difficult to call. He's looking quite good now but has never been totally consistent. I think Frankie's movement would make him less susceptible to leg kicks than most other fighters.

Good to see that Frankie is getting his share of respect. Underappreciated is the word that comes to mind when thinking about Frankie. At least on here.

Frankie has aged better, for sure. No two fighters will age the same, though. That fight a few years ago would have been awesome.

I doubt it. Perhaps the weight cut had something to do with it, but look how poorly Pettis did at FW compared to Frankie. Frankie's iron chin, movement and wresting (given Pettis' poor TD) make him a strong favorite. Alvarez and Frankie are good friends and training partners and probably wouldn't fight...but again, look how Eddie has done outside of the RDA fight. His only real chance is a one-punch KO IMO, and no one has finished Frankie. Edgar outwrestled a prime Maynard in their last 2 fights, so I don't think wrestling would work for Eddie, either.

Barboza is a little more difficult to call. He's looking quite good now but has never been totally consistent. I think Frankie's movement would make him less susceptible to leg kicks than most other fighters.
Well they all train together so it would be pretty weird to see them fight each other. I definitely would pick Frankie over Alvarez right now though. He is a better grappler with better movement on the feet and just as good recovery. Barboza is tough to say right now because he has improved over the years. I think part of Frankie's longevity is due to his quality training partners. Training with Alvarez, Barboza and Marlon Moraes on a regular basis will keep you from being complacent.

Frankie has aged better, for sure. No two fighters will age the same, though. That fight a few years ago would have been awesome.

Yeah, I often wished we could've had a dream LW tournament circa 2010 with all of the major orgs:

UFC: Edgar, Maynard, Penn
SF: Gilbert, Josh Thomson
WEC: Bendo, Pettis
Bellator: Eddie Alvarez

Many fighters were peaking (or in BJ's case, in the twilight of their prime) back then.

Gilbert has been fighting top competition and having wars long before Frankie did, though. Gilbert was ranked in the top 10 by the time Frankie made his UFC debut

Alot of truth in it, but I would like to see Gil at LEAST one more time, without the freaky legkick from Stephens. It was one well timed, well placed legkick who took Gil out of the fight completely. Granted Stephens did that. GJ on him!
Still believe Gil could be a top10 FW, While Frankie at this point is top3, Stephens a wild card who can beat EVERYONE, but can also lose too everyone (at least ranked). So he belongs there, between 6-9

First three weight champ! I like Max but I'm rooting for Frankie.

Gilbert has been fighting top competition and having wars long before Frankie did, though. Gilbert was ranked in the top 10 by the time Frankie made his UFC debut

But by the same token, Gil had some relatively easy, low-damage fights (Ishida, Aoki, Kawajiri, a very passive Masvidal*) while Frankie was fighting multiple 5-round fights against Penn, Maynard, Bendo, etc. I think he caught up with Gil's cumulative damage and then some...especially since Gil has only fought once a year since 2014.

* Masvidal-Gil could've been a war, but Masvidal chose to stand there and get outpointed...never understood his thinking.

Back