Gil-Stephens Shows How Good Frankie Edgar Is

I doubt it. Perhaps the weight cut had something to do with it, but look how poorly Pettis did at FW compared to Frankie. Frankie's iron chin, movement and wresting (given Pettis' poor TD) make him a strong favorite. Alvarez and Frankie are good friends and training partners and probably wouldn't fight...but again, look how Eddie has done outside of the RDA fight. His only real chance is a one-punch KO IMO, and no one has finished Frankie. Edgar outwrestled a prime Maynard in their last 2 fights, so I don't think wrestling would work for Eddie, either.

Barboza is a little more difficult to call. He's looking quite good now but has never been totally consistent. I think Frankie's movement would make him less susceptible to leg kicks than most other fighters.

I didn't say i'd pick any of them over Frankie I just pointed out it's all tough fights.I also said Frankie is simply better than Gil.Those are all tough fights any way you cut it.It's annoying idiots running around saying Gil sucks or has lost his fighting ability cause he lost to some awesome fighters.That's Sherdog for you though =/ I agree with your assessment of those fights but could lose to all three,also Barboza and them train together also or at least have a lot in the past.

Gilbert has been fighting top competition and having wars long before Frankie did, though. Gilbert was ranked in the top 10 by the time Frankie made his UFC debut

Not only that, but Gilbert became the number one featherweight in the world about three months after Frankie made his professional debut.

I love Frankie, but Gilbert's been playin' this game at the highest level for far longer.

Was stoked when knocked the piss out of cheater Mendes

Frankie's awesome, but Gil was injured. His damn corner let him take a beating on one leg, with basically no hope of winning.

Frankie went into the Stephens fight with a torn MCL.

Frankie always works hard and shows up prepared.

Gil hasn't done a good job on much since he negotiated that contract (right before coaching TUF vs Pettis).
Stephens didn't beat Gil before that, he beat him now.

I don't think this fight proved anything, besides how far Gil has fallen.

Overrating by saying he was a consensus top 5 or better from around 06? Go back and find the rankings, you'll see.
from around '06 till when he already got gifted dec in Strikeforce even before coming to the UFC and other then the win over Kawajiri had no top wins over a elite LW prior to '07 and didn't even go on his run until '09 and by '11 was already starting to slow down the only ppl that ranked him that high was delusional.

I didn't say i'd pick any of them over Frankie I just pointed out it's all tough fights.I also said Frankie is simply better than Gil.Those are all tough fights any way you cut it.It's annoying idiots running around saying Gil sucks or has lost his fighting ability cause he lost to some awesome fighters.That's Sherdog for you though =/ I agree with your assessment of those fights but could lose to all three,also Barboza and them train together also or at least have a lot in the past.
you calling me an idiot Kuma

from around '06 till when he already got gifted dec in Strikeforce even before coming to the UFC and other then the win over Kawajiri had no top wins over a elite LW prior to '07 and didn't even go on his run until '09 and by '11 was already starting to slow down the only ppl that ranked him that high was delusional.

again, go back and find the rankings bub.

another contender. And I'd argue that he beat Bendo in their rematch. That was a semi-robbery IMO.

Not not like he did not win a big one like that.Captureb.JPG

Heh, I hope not. However, once he loses to a contender, it's over. The same thing happened to Urijah Faber, who also beat everyone but the champ for years.

Coincidently, the first non championship fight that he lost was against Edgar.

Like I said, his best wins were against Josh Thomson (a very good fighter), but I really think Josh won their last fight. That would make the series 1-2 vs. 2-1. Aoki, Kawajiri and Ishida had their glory days inside rings of Japanese MMA, but none ever proved themselves to be elite LWs in U.S. cage fighting.

Gil and Frankie are the same age (35). Their fight histories are similar:
  • The total number of fights is almost identical (Gil-29, Frankie-28)
  • Gil has been in 7 fights that went over 3 rounds. Frankie has been in 10 (he may hold the record?)
If anything, Frankie has taken been in more wars. He came back from the living dead twice against Maynard. He also got hurt badly from a 1st round upkick in the first Bendo fight. Gilbert's decline is typical for a smaller (LW or below fighter). Most of them start deteriorating in their early to mid-30s. Frankie, however, has shown some amazing longevity:
  • Frankie recently beat the same Jereme Stephens who defeated Gil and brutalized his leg
  • Frankie has never been finished
  • Except for a 2008 loss to Maynard, he's only lost to the LW or FW champ in title fights. He's never lost to another contender. And I'd argue that he beat Bendo in their rematch. That was a semi-robbery IMO.
I'm not trying to put down Gil...just recognizing Frankie's great career and endurance. While Gil, Bendo, Josh Thomson and maybe even Eddie Alvarez are declining, Frankie's still beating everyone but the champ. If Aldo didn't have his number, he'd probably be a GOAT FW by this point, too. I wish he'd moved to BW a few years ago where I think he'd also have done great.

Pound for pound Frankie Edgar is an amazing fighter.

I put him in my top 10 tbh.

Like I said, his best wins were against Josh Thomson (a very good fighter), but I really think Josh won their last fight. That would make the series 1-2 vs. 2-1. Aoki, Kawajiri and Ishida had their glory days inside rings of Japanese MMA, but none ever proved themselves to be elite LWs in U.S. cage fighting.
I'm not trying to shit on the guy but he is like a pressure fighter in boxing just a smaller window where he was effective and burnt out earlier.

Back