George Foreman vs Mike Tyson

Lennox was a bigger, harder hitting, more athletic version of Liston - just like Wladimir Klitschko. And he needed 8 rounds to stop a Tyson that was WAY past his prime. Liston ain't doing anything to prime Tyson.

Tyson wasn't slick in the sense that he'd fight off his back foot, use lateral movement for defensive purposes, parry jabs and so on. But he was offensively slick.

Lennox was a bigger, harder hitting, more athletic version of Liston - just like Wladimir Klitschko. And he needed 8 rounds to stop a Tyson that was WAY past his prime. Liston ain't doing anything to prime Tyson.

Tyson wasn't slick in the sense that he'd fight off his back foot, use lateral movement for defensive purposes, parry jabs and so on. But he was offensively slick.
Lennox also liked to play it safe. Probably could have had Tyson out of there earlier. And im not sure Lennox is a harder hitting version of liston. What evidence do you have for that? Lennox lewis a fighter who is nothing like Liston took 8 rounds to beat a faded Tyson so Liston who once again fights completely different cant do anything to a prime tyson? o_O

Liston insanely had the same reach as lennox, despite being much shorter, and i think he would be peppering mike with jabs all night long setting up his power punches. Tyson got peppered with jabs in the loss to Douglas all night long as well. Being offensively slick doesnt do Tyson any good imo. Once again thats not the type of fighter that Liston had trouble with. Great offensive fighters that couldnt move and box but were slick inside, didnt give Liston problems the same way they didnt give Foreman problems. Ask Floyd Patterson, the fastest heavyweight that ever lived and a great inside slick fighter if Liston could fight on the inside. Hell that is how Liston Ko'd him was beating the shit out of him on the inside and in the clinches.

And once again, I'm not saying its a first round KO for Liston.... I said i thought Liston would put him down late. Big difference

Last edited:
Another one of those black & white footage guys, lol..

one other interesting thing, tyson got pushed around by Holyfield but Holyfield got pushed around by Foreman, I think the match would have been a good competitive one. I think Foreman had better intangibles at that point too. Maybe the Tyson who wrecked the heavyweight division would have just been too fast and agile for him but by the early 90's? I think Tyson had stopped being the skilled fighter we saw and just wanted to kayo guys. If he fought like he did with Ruddock it's tough to call.

i guess we should all try to remember that tyson was a fine defensive fighter at one point too. I could really see him doing some serious damage to george who was too big to get out the way and never was much for head movement. I could see broken orbitals etc.., happening even without a clean kayo.

Well you said based on the Ali fights. So maybe not that you didnt watch them, but that you weren't using them in your argument.

Similar to George, Liston struggled with slick boxers. Not the type of fighter that Tyson was. I think Tyson vs Liston is a closer fight thatn Foreman vs Tyson but i think Liston still puts Tyson down late.
cleveland williams fought liston twice, Liston had problems in the rematch i think, cleveland was a bad man at that time, in fact, that's where an earlier incident of a fighter having trouble seeing with liston occured.

Foreman keeps Tyson at bay with a combo of pushing and using his piston jab.

Also using the matador technique he did well against smaller opponents in his youth.

Definitely wouldn't be easy, not overly favoring Foreman.

cleveland williams fought liston twice, Liston had problems in the rematch i think, cleveland was a bad man at that time, in fact, that's where an earlier incident of a fighter having trouble seeing with liston occured.
Yeah thats true. I dunno. I guess I just have a hard time seeing Tyson just bulldoze him like he did a lot of guys in the 80's, which to me would be his only shot at winning. Hes not wearing liston down and knocking him out late. No way

Back