George Foreman vs Mike Tyson

Young Tyson beat most of opponents on fear alone. That would most definitely not work on someone like Foreman.

hmmm, i'd give tyson the edge on technique and athleticism but george has the size and power advantage plus would not be intimidated. i could see george knocking him out

both fighters showed weak character when opposed by fighters who were mentally stronger than them.....

a pick-em for me

Young Tyson beat most of opponents on fear alone. That would most definitely not work on someone like Foreman.

True, but overwhelming speed and firepower would work on Foreman's wide open face.

These are like my 1a and 1b HWs. Tyson beats the brakes off of Big George, imo. Prob not a KO but he gets the stoppage within 5. Too slow, too hittable. Tyson's head movement wad the business at his peak. Foreman would get hit 6 times before he knew what the hell was going on and Tysons out of the way before Foreman lands those clubs.

Last edited:
Foreman got smacked around pretty good by Ron Lyle near his peak. I'm not sure he could be in that sort of fire fight with Tyson.

Most would favor a prime Foreman but its a tough call. Foreman never fought a total package like Tyson. Ali was a different animal. Joe Frazier was nothing like Tyson either.

I think the following prime boxers beat a prime Tyson.

1: Ali
2: Lennox Lewis

I give a prime Klitschko and Holmes a decent chance, and believe it or not I like Sonny Liston's chances too. I don't think Foreman had the right style to bother Tyson. He didn't use his jab effectively, and threw wide punches. I think Foreman's chin is good, but not great, and like someone else said, he'd be getting hit three times for every shot he had a chance of landing. It's a firefight while it lasts though. I just think the speed and movement advantage would be too much for Foreman to overcome.

Prime Tyson was a scary dude. Foreman would've been in a hellish firefight and I don't see him winning.

Foreman due to style matchup. Very bad matchup for mike.

Mike would do better than frazier but I think those thudding jabs would eventually freeze mike and he'd get KTFO by big george.

Foreman got smacked around pretty good by Ron Lyle near his peak. I'm not sure he could be in that sort of fire fight with Tyson.

Most would favor a prime Foreman but its a tough call. Foreman never fought a total package like Tyson. Ali was a different animal. Joe Frazier was nothing like Tyson either.

To be fair to George, he knocked Lyle out, and Tyson was knocked out in his prime by Buster Douglas.

Foreman is relatively slow and easy to hit, which is a nightmare if you are fighting Tyson. But I also always felt like Tyson excelled against guys who were intimidated and outgunned, and Foreman would likely be neither.

I guess I'd favor Tyson, based on speed and defense. But some of the descriptions of Tyson sound like people are pretending Buster Douglas didn't beat the shit out of him in his prime. Foreman has a real chance in this one.

I give comeback Foreman a better chance than 70's Foreman in some ways.

To be fair to George, he knocked Lyle out, and Tyson was knocked out in his prime by Buster Douglas.

Foreman is relatively slow and easy to hit, which is a nightmare if you are fighting Tyson. But I also always felt like Tyson excelled against guys who were intimidated and outgunned, and Foreman would likely be neither.

I guess I'd favor Tyson, based on speed and defense. But some of the descriptions of Tyson sound like people are pretending Buster Douglas didn't beat the shit out of him in his prime. Foreman has a real chance in this one.

I agree with you in the sense that Tyson in the Douglas fight was in his prime (Tyson being unprepared is his own fault), but Foreman and Douglas didn't have the same style at all. Douglas used his boxing ability and good footwork to bother Tyson, and he actually had better handspeed than people gave him credit for. He clearly had better speed than Foreman. His jab in the Tyson fight was amazing, because he used it to not only keep Mike off guard, but in that fight it clearly bothered Tyson because it seemed to have very good power behind it as well.

Douglas that night would have beaten a lot of all time greats. He fought nearly a flawless fight. He was more of a boxer/puncher than Foreman, who never had good footwork or technique. Foreman had the edge in power and chin, but Douglas pushed Tyson around the ring that night.

I agree with you in the sense that Tyson in the Douglas fight was in his prime (Tyson being unprepared is his own fault), but Foreman and Douglas didn't have the same style at all. Douglas used his boxing ability and good footwork to bother Tyson, and he actually had better handspeed than people gave him credit for. He clearly had better speed than Foreman. His jab in the Tyson fight was amazing, because he used it to not only keep Mike off guard, but in that fight it clearly bothered Tyson because it seemed to have very good power behind it as well.

Douglas that night would have beaten a lot of all time greats. He fought nearly a flawless fight. He was more of a boxer/puncher than Foreman, who never had good footwork or technique. Foreman had the edge in power and chin, but Douglas pushed Tyson around the ring that night.

I agree, not much in common between Douglas and Foreman. I actually think Douglas is somewhat underrated because he was inconsistent. At his best, which was rare, he would probably beat just about anybody in the current heavyweight division. Mike Tyson was not at his very best that night, but I do not think he was as far from it as some people say. He was pretty much the murderous Mike Tyson that night, and Buster Douglas had an amazing night and earned that win.

Foreman due to style matchup. Very bad matchup for mike.

Mike would do better than frazier but I think those thudding jabs would eventually freeze mike and he'd get KTFO by big george.
What about Foreman is a bad matchup for Tyson?

Foreman of the 70's wouldn't stand a chance If you dont have speed you better have a chin and thats what 90's Foreman had .Looking at the dwight Qawi fight theres no doubt in my mind Tyson tko's that Foreman as well he just would have to unload on him much hardetr to stop him.Foreman of the 70's had practically no defense either ,his only chance is with that 250 plus body and landing one of those sneaky upper cuts bc hes simply never going to out work Tyson ,who was never k.od by one punch either so .The best version of Foreman that stands the best chance struggled severly with Alex Stewart who Tyson K.o'd in one rnd..,TYSON by 8 rnd tko ,ref stoppage!

Last edited:
No version of Foreman would beat prime Tyson. Too slow with wild shots leaving himself open for counters. People forget that Tyson had an excellent chin and I doubt he would be hit clean by any version of George. George would be hit like he never had in his career, he would also be hit a lot faster and more often. I think prime Tyson stops the best version of Foreman.

People always talk about how big Foreman was, in reality he wasn't that big. 6'3.5" and around 220lbs. He'd be average size for a 80's to current heavyweight.

Prime Foreman would destroy prime Tyson 4/5 times imo. He would have just been too much man for him.

Tyson would be all sorts of wrong for George and I'm not a Tyson fan by any means.

Back