George Foreman vs Mike Tyson

What about Foreman is a bad matchup for Tyson?

"It's suicide against Foreman if you're short and fight a swarming attacking style like Marciano or Frazier," -Cus D'amato

Cus and Tyson used to watch Foreman fights on tape and, according to others that were there, Cus drilled it into Tyson that Foreman was a nightmare "hypothetical" matchup for him.

It make sense, Foreman is a better Liston and Tyson is a better Patterson, and we all know how that matchup went.

Last edited:
"It's suicide against Foreman if you're short and fight a swarming attacking style like Marciano or Frazier," -Cus D'amato

Cus and Tyson used to watch Foreman fights on tape and, according to others that were there, Cus drilled it into Tyson that Foreman was a nightmare "hypothetical" matchup for him.

It make sense, Foreman is a better Liston and Tyson is a better Patterson, and we all know how that matchup went.
Foreman is slow with poor movement and a wide open face.

How anyone equates that to a bad match up for Tyson is beyond me.

Marciano and Frazier may have shared some similarities to Tyson but neither was the package that Tyson was. Tyson was much bigger than either. Much faster and a better technical boxer as well.

You are going on 15/16 year old Tyson,and he was more than a swarmer ,he was mainly a mid range fighter .Cus didnt believe Fraziers defense was that great and he thought Tysons defense was the best ever so even so using Marciano or Fraziers style has little value.Rooney saw the morre mature Tysons develop e and thought Tyson would k.o Foreman .

Cus once said Tysons at age 15 would still have had the skill to beat Holmes this doesnt sound like anyone thats going to put doubt in there fighters head.

Foreman is slow with poor movement and a wide open face.

How anyone equates that to a bad match up for Tyson is beyond me.

Then Frazier should have disposed of him easily....

You are going on 15/16 year old Tyson,and he was more than a swarmer ,he was mainly a mid range fighter .Cus didnt believe Fraziers defense was that great and he thought Tysons defense was the best ever so even so using Marciano or Fraziers style has little value.Rooney saw the morre mature Tysons develop e and thought Tyson would k.o Foreman .

Cus once said Tysons at age 15 would still have had the skill to beat Holmes this doesnt sound like anyone thats going to put doubt in there fighters head.

I'll take Cus's analysis on that matchup over yours.

Seriously speaking, anybody that doesn't understand that Foreman is a nightmare matchup for a guy like Tyson should stop watching boxing.

George had a nightmarish fight against an overweight, blown up Dwight Qawi. Qawi not exact, but similar in build to Tyson as he was also muscular and short. Qawi was crouching down, coming in, and nailing George with clean shots almost at will. If Tyson was able to land shots like Dwight did, that would have been a tough night for George.

It's a very interesting fight for those who have not seen it. Qawi was on his way to winning until he gassed, he was really overweight for the fight.

Also interesting, this was the lightest George was in his whole comeback, and he is wearing his same famous trunks he wore against Ali and Moorer.

http://www.examiner.com/article/i-boxed-a-legend-dwight-m-qawi-remembers-fighting-george-foreman

Question: What punch combinations/tactics were successful against him?

Qawi: "Well, the right hand. The lead right hand kept hitting him. I would roll out on him. When he stuck the hand out to lean on you, I let him touch me and I rolled out. The hand is still out there and I'd get on the side of him and I'd turn and I hit him. Because when you're going like that he's not going to jump back. He'd just turn and I hit him. I just got tired. If I had more energy and I was more courageous and more imaginative, and I think he was looking for that first punch, he was respectful of my punch, the rest of the fight. That's the strategy. When they're in with a puncher like that, he thinks I'm wild, so he's not so bold."

Question: How do you think Tyson would have done with Foreman if they would have fought back then?

Qawi: "If Mike is on top of his game it would have been a helluva fight. I just watched Foreman fight Ron Lyle, they went down six, seven times. So Foreman could take a punch. I could see Mike hitting him. It could be one of those fights you don't even want to think about. Seriously. That would be a lot of firepower."

Question: What did Foreman's power feel like?

Qawi: "It wasn't sharp. It was a thump. Thumping. He didn't hit me with that much clean. But it was like, heavy. Heavy. You have the sharp punch, then you have the thumping punch. It was mostly like that. That's how he came back. He was smart coming back. He deserved the win and the accolades he got. So I did good with him."

Foreman got smacked around pretty good by Ron Lyle near his peak. I'm not sure he could be in that sort of fire fight with Tyson.

Most would favor a prime Foreman but its a tough call. Foreman never fought a total package like Tyson. Ali was a different animal. Joe Frazier was nothing like Tyson either.

Yeah and Tyson got smacked around by Tryell Biggs in his prime. Your point?

I'll take Cus's analysis on that matchup over yours.

Seriously speaking, anybody that doesn't understand that Foreman is a nightmare matchup for a guy like Tyson should stop watching boxing.
Anybody who cant comprehend and has to question how Tyson is going to stop Foreman when Frazier couldn't ,is in the wrong forum section period. lol

George had a nightmarish fight against an overweight, blown up Dwight Qawi. Qawi not exact, but similar in build to Tyson as he was also muscular and short. Qawi was crouching down, coming in, and nailing George with clean shots almost at will. If Tyson was able to land shots like Dwight did, that would have been a tough night for George.

It's a very interesting fight for those who have not seen it. Qawi was on his way to winning until he gassed, he was really overweight for the fight.

Also interesting, this was the lightest George was in his whole comeback, and he is wearing his same famous trunks he wore against Ali and Moorer.

http://www.examiner.com/article/i-boxed-a-legend-dwight-m-qawi-remembers-fighting-george-foreman

Question: What punch combinations/tactics were successful against him?

Qawi: "Well, the right hand. The lead right hand kept hitting him. I would roll out on him. When he stuck the hand out to lean on you, I let him touch me and I rolled out. The hand is still out there and I'd get on the side of him and I'd turn and I hit him. Because when you're going like that he's not going to jump back. He'd just turn and I hit him. I just got tired. If I had more energy and I was more courageous and more imaginative, and I think he was looking for that first punch, he was respectful of my punch, the rest of the fight. That's the strategy. When they're in with a puncher like that, he thinks I'm wild, so he's not so bold."

Question: How do you think Tyson would have done with Foreman if they would have fought back then?

Qawi: "If Mike is on top of his game it would have been a helluva fight. I just watched Foreman fight Ron Lyle, they went down six, seven times. So Foreman could take a punch. I could see Mike hitting him. It could be one of those fights you don't even want to think about. Seriously. That would be a lot of firepower."

Question: What did Foreman's power feel like?

Qawi: "It wasn't sharp. It was a thump. Thumping. He didn't hit me with that much clean. But it was like, heavy. Heavy. You have the sharp punch, then you have the thumping punch. It was mostly like that. That's how he came back. He was smart coming back. He deserved the win and the accolades he got. So I did good with him."

Qawi was not a HW ,he was 5'6 and a cruiser weight so im not sure he was over weight for this fight since he needed the extra weight . He was also more proficient than Frazier was and tougher all around . The differance here like Frazier he was a sub par 200 pound fighter and also fought at light HW,also like Frazier he was past his prime which also stacked the deck against him vs the bigger rejuvenated Foreman .Stylistically its a good and legit fight to use ,any logical person would see where Foreman would have trouble with Tyson based on that fight . Had Qawi had real HW power ,he may have caused an upset ,Foreman grew even heavier after this which i also think made him harder to hurt ,just watch the Holyfield fight in 1991 which actually would be the only year i could see Foreman winning ,but its a slim one!

Last edited:
Foreman ain't no lil mac... Prime Tyson would eat him and his children up before the 4th round was over...

Yeah and Tyson got smacked around by Tryell Biggs in his prime. Your point?
Exactly what I said. Feel free to read the post again.

Tyson was never in any real trouble with Biggs either. He kicked the shit out of the guy. Its just the first guy who fought some competitive rounds with the guy.

Exactly what I said. Feel free to read the post again.

Tyson was never in any real trouble with Biggs either. He kicked the shit out of the guy. Its just the first guy who fought some competitive rounds with the guy.
Tyson admitted to carrying Biggs and said he could have ended the fight bt by round 3 .

Anybody think Liston gives Tyson problems? Don't mean to derail the thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back