Gennady Golovkin - sparring stories

MC Paul Barman

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I had heard interesting stories about how good Golovkin looked during sparring sessions.

All from the following: Gym notes: Alvarez, Golovkin worth driving up a mountain to see | RingTV

I was able to stave off my usual altitude sickness during the drive up to the remote San Bernardino mountain town with thoughts of all the hype I’ve heard on Golovkin in recent months. It began with a text message from Sam Garcia late last June.

“Perro is getting lit up in sparring by this Russian dude!” read the text message from Garcia, an assistant trainer for junior lightweight prospect Eloy Perez, who frequently trains in Big Bear.

“Perro,” of course, is Alfredo Angulo, the rugged junior middleweight contender who was preparing for his HBO-televised fight against Joachim Alcine last July when he locked horns with Golovkin at Sanchez‘s gym. Garcia later gave me a more-detailed account of the sparring session. Lightweight contender Urbano Antillon, who is trained by Sanchez, supported Garcia's story.

A few months later I got a phone call from the producer of a Spanish-language sports show, who swore that he witnessed Golovkin "embarrass" Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. at the Wild Card gym during an open workout held for the Latino media a few weeks before the unbeaten middleweight pulled out of scheduled Dec. 4 card.

A Wild Card regular who spotted me at the Alvarez-Hatton fight in Anaheim, Calif., this past March whispered that he saw Golovkin give undefeated super middleweight prospect Peter Quillin all he could handle at Roach’s famous boxing club.

More....

“Alfredo Angulo is a very strong, very competitive, prideful guy who has a great team behind him, but Golovkin is on another level,” said Garcia, who says he watched three sparring sessions between the two over the course of one week. “His strength, his demeanor, his skill, everything he did in there was just too much for Angulo, which surprised the hell out of me.

“I’ve seen Angulo spar many times before and he‘s always the one doing the hurting. He’s so damn tough I’ve never seen him take a step back, let alone get hurt. I was expecting him to test this Golovkin guy that I’d never seen before, but ‘Superman’ was in there taking and giving, and he hurt Angulo a couple times, especially to the body. Angulo had to get on his bike against Golovkin, which was just bizarre to see.”

His sparring with Alvarez:

That was fine by me. I was using both for a RingTV.com column.

Round one:

Alvarez began the session sticking and moving effectively. The young redhead was on his toes when he maneuvered around the casually advancing Golovkin, but he planted his feet every time he let his hands go, including his stiff jab. However, Golovkin picked off most of Alvarez’s shots with his gloves as he quickly cut the ring off, occasionally switching stances as he stepped forward. The 2004 Olympian slipped a beautiful left uppercut through Alvarez’s guard to score the first significant punch midway through the round. Alvarez loaded up with a retaliatory hook that missed and spun him halfway around. Golovkin didn’t jab much, but he landed it whenever he let it go. Alvarez began to look for ways to counter his antagonist in the final minute and scored with a sweet right cross followed by hook that shook Golovkin down to his shoes. The Kazakh just smiled at him, though. Unfazed, Alvarez stood his ground in the final 30 seconds and took a few hard body shots.

Round two:

Golovkin stalked a little faster while displaying decent head movement and a nice straight, crisp jab. Alvarez definitely felt the pressure as he gave ground without allowing his back to touch the ropes. He used fluid upper-body movement to evade Golovkin’s short power shots, which prompted co-trainer Jose Reynoso to yell “Bein, bein, muy bien!” from the corner. Alvarez landed a picture perfect head-to-body hook combination mid-round. Golovkin fired back but the kid leaned away from the punches. Alvarez tried to counter Golovkin but couldn’t get through the older fighter’s guard. Still, the young man’s accuracy back Golovkin off for the first time during the session. Alvarez followed Golovkin during the final minute but walked into a hard left hook that appeared to rock him with 10 seconds remaining. Alvarez didn’t return to his corner after the bell but instead tried to shake out his right leg, which immediately stiffened on impact of Golovkin‘s hook.

Rounds three and four:

Alvarez abandoned his jab and his upper-body movement and took the fight to Golovkin with both hands. Golovkin welcomed the aggression, easily blocking Alvarez’s punches while landing most of his. Alvarez sucked it up and even walked forward while attempting to block as much heat as he could, but it was clear that he could not match Golovkin’s strength or power. Still, the budding young star got in an occasional power punch whenever he let his hands go in bunches. His hook-right combination found the mark but his technique was not as tight as it was at the start of the session and his face was turning beet red from Golovkin‘s punches. The kid showed guts but he didn’t merit a single “bien” from Reynoso in the third round. He didn’t hear it until two and half minutes into the fourth round when he let loose with a blazing five-punch combination. Golovkin dodged or parried most of the shots but Alvarez earned his respect for the round.

Round five:

A tired-looking Alvarez resumed his jab and lateral movement to buy himself a breather. His jab was especially effective when he shot-gunned it. Golovkin neglected his jab and looked to counter Alvarez’s left stick with single power punches (the hook in particular). Alvarez did more moving along the ring perimeter (his back now grazing the ropes) than punching, but he got off hard shots when he did let his hands go.

Round six:

Alvarez caught his second wind in the final round, bouncing on his toes with quick one-two combinations. “Muy bien!” Reynoso yelled after Alvarez landed a right uppercut-right cross combination off the ropes. Golovkin grinned again and attacked Alvarez’s body as the kid tried to spin away. The both loaded up with single power punches during the final minute of the round.

I was reading on different forums how Golovkin took it to Chavez and Quillin so bad that they wanted to stop sparring with him.

Then I found a youtube video where Quillin is saying "they're making it out to seem that Golovkin chased us out of the gym"...
LOL!!!

Love sparring/gym stories.

Golovkin's a fucking beast. Just watch his fight with Kassim Ouma and that'll show you what kind of fighter he is.

I was rooting for Ouma but Golovkin took all his shots and out gunned him after like 10 rounds in a fire fight. Great fight. I've been a big Golovkin fan ever since. He had a great amateur record too. I'm on the bandwagon for sure.

Golovkin is a top, top fighter, beat Lee and Bute in the am's, still needs a signature win in the pros though.

Barman, I'm gonna dig up the full version of the Eubank -Graham incident in Sheffield, and add it here, if you don't mind?

"I sparred with Herol Graham for six weeks around October 1986, and in our last eight-rounder, I put him on his back in the first round with a left hook off a right hand feint, then he got up and outboxed me for four and a half rounds before I put him on his bottom with a right uppercut off a left hook feint, and then he outboxed me for a further two rounds.

"The man was an expert defensive genius. It took me a month and a half to, uhh.... figure him out, so to speak. I had watched him on Television on a Barry McGuigan undercard and reached his manager Barney Eastwood through my brother Peter.

"In New York, I thought I'd seen it all. Certainly not. Watching the sparring were future champions Naseem Hamed, Johnny Nelson and Ryan Rhodes and I remember it clearly, the look of utter astonishment when their hero went down for the first time ever."

Johnny Nelson later claimed that Graham was spark out cold, Graham himself says he took a knee. This incident was referenced years later at a press conference for the Carl Thompson fight, which Nas was also on. Youtube video may be available.

Golovkin is a top, top fighter, beat Lee and Bute in the am's, still needs a signature win in the pros though.

Barman, I'm gonna dig up the full version of the Eubank -Graham incident in Sheffield, and add it here, if you don't mind?

Sweet!

I don't mind in the least.

Golovkin's a fucking beast. Just watch his fight with Kassim Ouma and that'll show you what kind of fighter he is.

I was rooting for Ouma but Golovkin took all his shots and out gunned him after like 10 rounds in a fire fight. Great fight. I've been a big Golovkin fan ever since. He had a great amateur record too. I'm on the bandwagon for sure.

That fight with Ouma showed that Golovkin can get dirty to win a fight.
Not dirty as in illegal... but just grind one out.

In all fairness Ouma beat Vanes. Getting into a shoot out with Ouma is a bad idea.
There's a reason why Taylor was prancing around the ring that whole fight.

For Golovkin to win in that manner says something special about the guy.

Can't wait see the fight with Pirog. I picking Pirog by dec. but who knows. If Ishida could land good shot on Pirog then Golo might destory him.

[Yt]CZJnSdT4dkQ[/MEDIA]

There's definitely something special about GGG, just a shame he has been avoided somewhat. The Pirog fight should be an interesting one but I'll be backing Golovkin all the way, I think he shows everything how good he really is that fight.

I remember seeing him beat Dirrell in the Olympics, I was impressed by that, Dirrell had a very good amateur style and GGG went straight through him.

From what I've heard on the issue...
Team Golovkin wasted time on trying to get N'Jikam in the ring.

That's a drama that seems to have played out for a couple years.

Thanks , i just watched it. That was a Rough fight for sure.

Golovkin is a bull but he is not a defensive wizard from what i can see. He was squared up way too many times for my liking. I am not sure am how far he will go but this is only one fight. We will just have to see. He has a fan friendly style, that will get him somewhere.

That fight with Ouma showed that Golovkin can get dirty to win a fight.
Not dirty as in illegal... but just grind one out.

In all fairness Ouma beat Vanes. Getting into a shoot out with Ouma is a bad idea.
There's a reason why Taylor was prancing around the ring that whole fight.

For Golovkin to win in that manner says something special about the guy.

Definitely. Ouma usually doesn't get the respect he deserves for being as tough as he is. He hadn't been stopped in a long time when Golovkin KO'd him, so we know he can take a beating and give one too for that matter.

Thanks , i just watched it. That was a Rough fight for sure.

Golovkin is a bull but he is not a defensive wizard from what i can see. He was squared up way too many times for my liking. I am not sure am how far he will go but this is only one fight. We will just have to see. He has a fan friendly style, that will get him somewhere.

No problem. I agree that he doesn't have much for defense. That fight was basically which guy could take the other's shots and survive for the longest. It'll be interesting to see if he fights the same way against Pirog. I think he probably will.

I don't know how big of a deal it is that Golovkin got hit by Ouma.
Ouma's a volume puncher and pressure fighter.

If you're going to punch at a guy like that it's going to get messy. Vanes and Taylor got marched around the ring by him.... Vanes got hit quite a bit. Taylor might not have been hit that much but he was running from the guy. If I recall correctly the crowd was booing pretty heavily and even Manny Steward was yelling at Taylor to fight.

Never heard of this guy, im gonna check him out though. Sounds pretty good.

I'm a big fan of Golovkin; the way he's able to scientifically box in order to get in the pocket and just go caveman on guys is awesome to watch. The Pirog fight is going to be ridiculously fun.

Definitely. Ouma usually doesn't get the respect he deserves for being as tough as he is. He hadn't been stopped in a long time when Golovkin KO'd him, so we know he can take a beating and give one too for that matter.

TBH Ouma made Golovkin look very average, in fact Ouma was probably slightly up on my card prior to the stoppage. As tough as he is, he's not a middleweight and he's a fighter who has taken a fair bit of damage over the years.

i just hope that the Pirog fight gets one of these guys in meaningful fights

i just hope that the Pirog fight gets one of these guys in meaningful fights

Huh? The Pirog/Golo is a Meaningful Fight.the winner will hold the WBA & IBO Title and should rank them next at the winner of Chavez/Martinez.

Back