Generation Iron 2 - new sequel to Gen Iron with Rich Piana, Calum Von Moger, Kai Greene

I thought the drama was in each individual storyline. Kai Greene is trying to find his path post-Olympia. Iris Kyle is trying to cope in a world where the biggest stage has eliminated her division. Piana is focused on how to be successful in bodybuilding outside of competition. Calum is trying to take his career to the next level.

It eschews a central thread in favor of telling several individual stories. It story reveals a different aspect of the bodybuilding world and culture.

To me, those are just independent questions, and not particularly emotionally investing ones.

What are the stakes, and how does it come together as a whole or with a climax?

Two of those four storylines (Piana and Callum) aren't interesting to me. Can X person I'm not really invested in succeed in instagram / YouTube bodybuilding?

It just seemed kind of like a survey piece on the modern state of bodybuilding and social media. I don't know if it really warranted feature-length exploration without a central narrative.

The Iris Kyle stuff had the potential to be most compelling, but it didn't seem like it was going to be the centerpiece. I can't imagine working that hard at something, becoming easily the best in the world at it for a decade straight, doing what the judges were rewarding, and then suddenly having the entire competition removed because the powers that be decide the judges shouldn't have been rewarding you for what you were excelling at in the first place. Even though I find the aesthetics of Iris Kyle style female bodybuilding to be somewhat unpleasant, she was a sympathetic character.

It opened somewhat strong with the stuff about Kai Greene losing, but then it immediately lost that steam with what felt like a ridiculously long and disjointed opening credits sequence...plus Greene's story didn't really seem to be about getting back on the horse for a comeback, or a "Jay finally beats Ronnie" type of deal.

Last edited:
I found the social media aspect interesting. You are seeing this in everything nowadays. It's the same with powerlifting and general fitness. Having a following on social media and a strong presence matters more than performance in their sport. MMA is heading that way as well.

To me, those are just independent questions, and not particularly emotionally investing ones.

What are the stakes, and how does it come together as a whole or with a climax?

I thought of this film more as a survey of various aspects and personalities of the modern world of bodybuilding. I'm not sure at any point I found myself particularly emotionally invested, but that's okay because I was engaged intellectually. Just getting this kind of access into these people's lives and probing this sub-culture is fascinating in itself.

Two of those four storylines (Piana and Callum) aren't interesting to me. Can X person I'm not really invested in succeed in instagram / YouTube bodybuilding?

Well I'd say really only Piana's story is like that. Yes, Calum is using social media, but it's his goal to eventually make it as a pro on the big stage. He's only using social media as a springboard to get to that.

But I did think the questions posed in both segments were interesting, because they show how the world whole structure of the bodybuilding world is changing. It's not longer just about a few guys at the top getting exposure through magazines and the top contests. Now anyone can get out there and easily promote themselves and it's changed everything.

The Iris Kyle stuff had the potential to be most compelling, but it didn't seem like it was going to be the centerpiece. I can't imagine working that hard at something, becoming easily the best in the world at it for a decade straight, doing what the judges were rewarding, and then suddenly having the entire competition removed because the powers that be decide the judges shouldn't have been rewarding you for what you were excelling at in the first place. Even though I find the aesthetics of Iris Kyle style female bodybuilding to be somewhat unpleasant, she was a sympathetic character.

I found her somewhat sympathetic, but her story was actually the LEAST interesting to me so I guess we're on opposite sides of the spectrum here.

. . . plus Greene's story didn't really seem to be about getting back on the horse for a comeback, or a "Jay finally beats Ronnie" type of deal.

Well Greene decided to go in a different direction. Everyone's career eventually comes to an end, or at least in does in terms of chasing the title of Mr. Olympia. I thought this was interesting in that it showed what someone does when that time has come and he has decided to try to find satisfaction through doing other things.

It would not be unlike a documentary segment on Randy Couture's life post-competition, showing how he has stayed involved with the MMA world (or not) after moving on from actively fighting. I'd be interested in seeing that.

It would not be unlike a documentary segment on Randy Couture's life post-competition, showing how he has stayed involved with the MMA world (or not) after moving on from actively fighting. I'd be interested in seeing that.

I'd be left with the same questions. Where's the drama? Where's the hook? What's the climax?

I'd argue that sometimes the information is interesting enough in and of itself without all that artifice.

Artifice? I don't know if I would call things like a protagonist, climax and stakes "artifice."

Anyway, sure, a detached survey of a topic can be interesting. I'll admit that I'm not overly interested in social media bodybuilders.

There was a feature length documentary "The Comeback" on Arnold's return to the 1980 Olympia and a good portion of the film focused on Tom Platz (I think ranked around 10th at the time). Anyway, the film got the viewer somewhat invested in Platz' story (kind of like Mike Katz in Pumping Iron) and there were stakes and vicarious disappointment when goals weren't achieved.

Bodybuilding is itself a competition, and a fairly dramatic one. To make a feature about bodybuilding and forego the drama inherently there... I dunno.

I would have been interested in the singular stories of the dissolution of the Ms. Olympia contest and the fallout, or with Piana's constant attempts to get his pro card but never succeeding, or Kai's attempt to finally win, etc. I'm just not sure what the story was that the director was passionate about and wanted to tell. I think he just did a lot of interviews with bodybuilders and put it together the best he could.

Last edited:
Going to check this out right this minute after reading this thread, didn't know it was on Netflix.

Great information gents.

Artifice? I don't know if I would call things like a protagonist, climax and stakes "artifice."

Anyway, sure, a detached survey of a topic can be interesting. I'll admit that I'm not overly interested in social media bodybuilders.

There was a feature length documentary "The Comeback" on Arnold's return to the 1980 Olympia and a good portion of the film focused on Tom Platz (I think ranked around 10th at the time). Anyway, the film got the viewer somewhat invested in Platz' story (kind of like Mike Katz in Pumping Iron) and there were stakes and vicarious disappointment when goals weren't achieved.

Bodybuilding is itself a competition, and a fairly dramatic one. To make a feature about bodybuilding and forego the drama inherently there... I dunno.

I would have been interested in the singular stories of the dissolution of the Ms. Olympia contest and the fallout, or with Piana's constant attempts to get his pro card but never succeeding, or Kai's attempt to finally win, etc. I'm just not sure what the story was that the director was passionate about and wanted to tell. I think he just did a lot of interviews with bodybuilders and put it together the best he could.

What I would say is sometimes real life does not fall into a three-act structure.

I get what you're saying, but here's how I looked at it: Think of the news show 60 Minutes. I presume you have seen it at least once in your life.

Well every 60 Minutes story is essentially a short documentary. A vignette. It rarely shows the beginning, middle and end of anything because it's covering stories that are still in motion.

That's how I felt about Generation Iron 2. It is essentially a collection of several different 60 Minutes pieces on different people and movements within bodybuilding. If you find the subjects covered to be interesting, like I did, I guess you'll enjoy it. If you don't, then you won't.

Just finished watching. Pretty good.

Just read that Calum has landed a gig, he’ll be playing Arnold in a movie called Bigger

image-2-1508408880_350x163.jpg

http://m.mensxp.com/health/body-bui...zenegger-in-the-movie-lsquo-bigger-rsquo.html

I never really followed Rich at all, but those crazy eyes, does he wear those crazy contacts as part of his branding?

2) I keep getting the feeling the film maker has a man crush on Kai Greene. Absolutely zero reason to have him in here again.

People keep saying this, but I genuinely feel that the reason is clear: To follow up with him and show what the next, post-Olympia phase of his life is like.

It's a human interest story.

3) Lol at Cal Von Moger thinking just looking like Arnold was enough to become famous. He has zero of prime Arnold’s work ethic. He got exposed hard in this documentary.

This also seems to be a common sentiment.

I will say that the meeting with the casting agent did not go well.

4) Love him or hate him. At least Rich Piana was always honest about the dark business side of bodybuilding.

Agreed.

5) Feel bad about the female bodybuilders losing their platform to showcase their talents, but Iris needs to take a long look in the mirror and accept that social media has forever shattered the perception of what female muscle is.

What do you mean exactly by "shattered the perception of what female muscle is"?

Overall, this did nothing for me like Pumping Iron did. At least Generation Iron 1 had the lead up of the head to head show down between Heath and Greene. But both 1 & 2 suffer from trying to recapture the magic that Arnold brought in the original classic.

It's definitely no Pumping Iron. But I did find it more interesting than the first Generation Iron.

For whatever reason, while I think that it's technically very well made, Generation Iron was just a little bit dull to me. Kai Greene was the only interesting person in the whole film, I think.

No shit. Man, that is kind of fucking weird.

Is this supposed to be a big budget, major movie? Does Calum actually even know how to act?

I wonder what Arnold thinks about this.
Not sure how big “Bigger” is supposed to be. It’s about the Weider brothers, according to the link.
I read that Julianne Hough will be in playing Betty Weider, and the film was announced this year at the Olympia

From the Generation Iron 2 movie, Kai seems like a good dude. I like how he’s taking all these classes to try and learn acting, he seems to work hard when he wants something.
Also nice to hear that he’s a genuinely nice guy to his fans

No shit. Man, that is kind of fucking weird.

Is this supposed to be a big budget, major movie? Does Calum actually even know how to act?

I wonder what Arnold thinks about this.
Look at some of these names that will be in the cast

Also joining the cast of Bigger, which is currently shooting in Alabama, are Robert Forster, Tom Arnold, Max Martini, DJ Qualls, and Steve Guttenberg. Previously announced, Tyler Hoechlin plays Joe Weider,Dunkirk‘sAneurin Barnard plays brother Ben, Kevin Durand is the brothers’ nemesis, fitness magazine publisher Bill Hauk, Julianne Hough plays Joe’s first lady of fitness wife Betty, Victoria Justice is Joe’s first wife while Colton Haynes will play Jack LaLanne.

http://deadline.com/2017/10/arnold-...obert-forster-george-gallo-bigger-1202189244/

Was going to say, maybe Calum finally got his "reel" together. That scene was hilarious. On the way there, he's boasting about how good he is under pressure. Interviewer asks him if he has a monologue, and you could just tell he was lying. He was all flustered, saying it had been a long time since he had done it, and couldn't answer if it was comedy or dramatic. I'm guessing he had to go home and look up what "monologue" meant

And check out this pic Calum posted. Was trying to see if I could find an Arnold response to the casting for his part but couldn't track one down, but stumbled up this

Look at some of these names that will be in the cast

http://deadline.com/2017/10/arnold-...obert-forster-george-gallo-bigger-1202189244/

Was going to say, maybe Calum finally got his "reel" together. That scene was hilarious. On the way there, he's boasting about how good he is under pressure. Interviewer asks him if he has a monologue, and you could just tell he was lying. He was all flustered, saying it had been a long time since he had done it, and couldn't answer if it was comedy or dramatic. I'm guessing he had to go home and look up what "monologue" meant

Not exactly an A-list cast, but I guess at least there are a few recognizable names? I didn't even realize Steve Guttenberg was still alive. This one's obviously going straight to VOD.

Something tells me that Callum's acting is actually going to be pretty hilarious.

And check out this pic Calum posted. Was trying to see if I could find an Arnold response to the casting for his part but couldn't track one down, but stumbled up this

I saw this the other day. He actually has done a pretty good job of molding himself in the vein of Arnold. But if he wants to keep it that way, he really doesn't need to get any bigger. He is already bigger than Arnold was.

What do you mean exactly by "shattered the perception of what female muscle is"?

Maybe shattered is the wrong term. How about redefined?

CrossFit and Instagram models are now defining what it is to be a muscular woman today. While she admits she’s not competing for a pageant, she seems to be under the impression that the level of muscularity she and her peers possess still has market value. I can confidently say that NO ONE wants to see women that masculine looking anymore in competition.

It sucks and is sexist, but it’s none the less true for the most part.

Back