Generation Iron 2 - new sequel to Gen Iron with Rich Piana, Calum Von Moger, Kai Greene

G

Guestx

I just randomly came across this on Netflix a few days ago. I watched the first one when it was released in 2013 and thought it was pretty good, but not great. The producers wanted to make the current generation's Pumping Iron, and while I thought they succeeded to a point, Generation Iron is not the classic that Pumping Iron is.

However, I think that Generation Iron 2 is one of the rare sequels that surpasses the original. I'm still not going to call it a classic documentary, but I found it to be more engaging with a more interesting cast of characters than its predecessor.

Anyone seen it? Or plan to see it?

Anyone at least watch the first Generation Iron?

War Piana.

Looks great will watch.

While doing curls.

I just randomly came across this on Netflix a few days ago. I watched the first one when it was released in 2013 and thought it was pretty good, but not great. The producers wanted to make the current generation's Pumping Iron, and while I thought they succeeded to a point, Generation Iron is not the classic that Pumping Iron is.

However, I think that Generation Iron 2 is one of the rare sequels that surpasses the original. I'm still not going to call it a classic documentary, but I found it to be more engaging with a more interesting cast of characters than its predecessor.

Anyone seen it? Or plan to see it?

Anyone at least watch the first Generation Iron?

Trailer really laid it on thick with the epic music at the end - I can't see it having an overwhelming narrative/denouement - but it does look interesting.

If it focuses on the proliferation of the fitness/bodybuilding industry via the youtube/social media generation then it's got something interesting.

On top of a load of ridiculously muscular gym bros, of course.

sometimes I wikipedia all these beefcakes and see how tall they are

always makes me laugh picturing this 5'8" dude with pecs bigger than some chicks tits

I literally just came across this like 2 days ago while at my girls, forgot to add it to my list but will do now that I've been reminded. Seen the first and felt the same, wasn't just a "meh/10" was like a "meh 1/2". If what your saying about the sequel holds up I'll be more than satisfied. I'll check her out over the weekend and double back with my take.

If it focuses on the proliferation of the fitness/bodybuilding industry via the youtube/social media generation then it's got something interesting.

That's the main thrust, I'd say. The first Generation Iron wanted to be today's Pumping Iron, with the main focus being on the Mr. Olympia.

This one steps outside of those confines and focuses on some of the guys who are more well-known as Internet stars than they are as contenders for Mr. O.

I thought the broadening of the scope into fitness celebs was interesting.

I am not really sure what it was trying to say, the message was pretty convoluted. How hard the work is, women being out of bodybuilding (for damn good reasons that they just skirted around), the popularity of youtubers. Following Kai for no real discernable reason other than having access. The Kuwait bits were interesting but they were all mega manlets.

I think it would have been better of it were more focused.

Calum comes across as a douche like a Arnold without the charisma or razor keen drive. Piana bits were poignant, felt sad.

I enjoyed it and I got a good work out done while watching it. I wanted to be wowed and that didn't happen. Except for that Kuwaiti guys lats, God is indeed great.

I am not really sure what it was trying to say, the message was pretty convoluted.

I'm not sure how much of a unified message there was, or was intended to be. My impression was more that they were just trying to shine a spotlight on areas of the bodybuilding community beyond the top IFBB guys who are vying for Mr. O.

Following Kai for no real discernable reason other than having access.

Well if you remember they followed Kai extensively in the first film. I think this sequel was also a sequel to his story.

What do you do when the dream of winning the Mr. Olympia title has faded and you've moved on from that? What does the next phase of your life look like?

Calum comes across as a douche like a Arnold without the charisma or razor keen drive.

You think so? How so?

Piana bits were poignant, felt sad.

Agreed. RIP.

I wanted to be wowed and that didn't happen.

I think this is more of a human interest piece about some of the personalities within the world of bodybuilding than a film that's meant to pump you up and make you want to hit the gym.

The first Gen Iron was probably more of the "pump you up" film; but this one I thought was more interesting.

Calum just doesn't seem to have much depth. With Arnie he'd be fucking with people, he was always moving like a shark. I can't imagine calum surprising me but Arnies drive took him places.

There's no way he'd turn up for a interview with an agent without having everything dialled in.

I just think he doesn't respect himself or what he has and there's just a little less going on.

If I want to listen to someone they gotta have to have busted their balls to get where they are. I want dedication and passion. The dude doesn't even measure meals?

Lots of people like him tho so what does my opinion matter?.

I'm only comparing the two because of the similarities in physique. I'd prefer if he didn't lean into the comparison.

I just think he doesn't respect himself or what he has and there's just a little less going on.

Why would you say he doesn't respect himself? In what way?

I want dedication and passion. The dude doesn't even measure meals?

To be fair, he looks pretty much perfect. If I were him, I would not feel like my physique needed any additional improvement.

Would you bother measuring meals if you didn't actually have to?

What's you'lls consensus on Bodybuilders?

I remember the Arnold Craze when I was a kid, but even then I thought:

They probably had little endurance.
They probably couldn't fight like fighters.
They probably weren't the strongest. (After discovering Strongman on ESPN I'm now convinced they're not)
So what does that leave.
Pomp and circumstance?

What's you'lls consensus on Bodybuilders?

I remember the Arnold Craze when I was a kid, but even then I thought:

They probably had little endurance.
They probably couldn't fight like fighters.
They probably weren't the strongest. (After discovering Strongman on ESPN I'm now convinced they're not)
So what does that leave.
Pomp and circumstance?

I think the top pros of today look fucking ridiculous. Way too many drugs.

But the top pros of the 70s and 80s looked good.

Van Damme won a bodybuilding title in Belgium before coming to the United States. For me, JCVD in the late 80s and early 90s had the GOAT physique. Just enough mass and definition without getting fucking crazy with it.

bloodsport4.jpg

I think the top pros of today look fucking ridiculous. Way too many drugs.

But the top pros of the 70s and 80s looked good.

Van Damme won a bodybuilding title in Belgium before coming to the United States. For me, JCVD in the late 80s and early 90s had the GOAT physique. Just enough mass and definition without getting fucking crazy with it.

bloodsport4.jpg

I watch this documentary. I saw the women of body building. They looked like shemales or transexuals, pro hormone, and roids between breakfast and brunch. I am glad it is removed. Nobody wants to see that outside the circus along with the wolf man and bearded lady.

I watch this documentary. I saw the women of body building. They looked like shemales or transexuals, pro hormone, and roids between breakfast and brunch. I am glad it is removed. Nobody wants to see that outside the circus along with the wolf man and bearded lady.

Yeah, women's bodybuilding has come along way, but in the totally wrong direction.

Here's Rachel McLish, the first Ms. Olympia:

da75d002318b111577a196762630dece--bodybuilding-supplements-bodybuilding-women.jpg

And here's the most recent Ms. Olympia, Iris Kyle. I mean, WTF?

12046959_977259878998212_6664639447426294774_n.jpg

Back