Game of Thrones S07E07 Discussion Thread: FinallyJumpedTheDragon (No Spoilers/Leaks)

Yes. The current dragons in the show are super young. They probably shouldn't even be that big, though maybe they're stuck in the part of reality that made Rickon and Bran grow and not the part of reality that's keeping Gilly's baby a baby.
I get what you're saying. But since they're fantasy animals I don't mind. They can grow however fast the people who make them up want them to grow.

I feel ya about baby Sam though. There's some inconsistencies for sure.

Yes. The current dragons in the show are super young. They probably shouldn't even be that big, though maybe they're stuck in the part of reality that made Rickon and Bran grow and not the part of reality that's keeping Gilly's baby a baby.

LOL! Never even noticed that. Maybe for the last season Little Sam will enter the dragon's spacetime and he'll grow into the new Ollie.

giphy.gif

LOL! Never even noticed that. Maybe for the last season Little Sam will enter the dragon's spacetime and he'll grow into the new Ollie.

giphy.gif

hahah maybe. he'll have all Olly's skills (great archer, Diaz-esque mean-mugging ability) and none of his drawbacks (propensity for killing the one dude who was legitimately looking out for you).

Yeah seriously some of the growth spurts are nuts. Rickon was pretty much as tall if not slightly taller than Ramsay before he got got and Bran is like 6'1 meaning he would tower over most of the cast members on the show if he ever did scenes opposite them while standing up.

I'm going back through the first season now and it is very jarring to see Arya and Bran.

Maybe Cersei will negotiate somehow with the night king if she learns he will leave her alone provided she gives him newborns, she is just the sort of sick fuck who would do it.

One thing we learned from Craster is that the White Walkers will leave you the fuck alone if you offer them children. How he came to know this shit is something only Bran's raven google powers can find out I guess.

Good point- we still don't really understand how that agreement was worked out. Did Craster, who had no reason to keep sons around given his disgusting lifestyle, merely abandon his sons out there to die to the elements and the White Walkers came upon them. Did he somehow actively cut a deal (wouldn't make much sense).

I'm wondering how triggered the viewing audience would be if there was a Frost Maul/Cersei love scene.

Good point- we still don't really understand how that agreement was worked out. Did Craster, who had no reason to keep sons around given his disgusting lifestyle, merely abandon his sons out there to die to the elements and the White Walkers came upon them. Did he somehow actively cut a deal (wouldn't make much sense).

I'm wondering how triggered the viewing audience would be if there was a Frost Maul/Cersei love scene.
Craster always went on about being a "godly" man. His daughters explained the sons were given as an "offering".

We do not know a lot about the old gods of winter. Hell, we do not know much about the god of fire.

Given how putrid some worshipers of the lord of light have been(Mel), in sacrificing people to her god. At some points we have seen her have Stannis burn men simply for not destroying their previous god idols, while leaving others alone for the same offense. She wanted to burn Gendry despite him being a relatively innocent boy simply because he had "kings blood". At her worst moment, having Stannis burn his own daughter.

Of all characters south of the wall, she has shown the most visible displays of power. Immunity to poison, visions of the future(limited), ability to birth Shadow assassins and some other abilities in the books not touched on in the show(Ability to sense a warg scouting Stannis army when he was attacking Mance Rayder in a bird and set the bird on fire, causing the warg to feel all the pain of burning and go mad and also, the ability to cloak Mance in a glamour so they could burn Rattleshirt instead and she secretly kept Mance Alive), and in the show(We assumed the same would happen in the books the moment we read this though) resurrecting jon Snow. She is a total Malefactor at times with an "end justifies the means" mentality.

By contrast, Thoros of Myr is a red priest, nice guy who fights for justice and in a Robin Hood type outlaw band, significantly less powerful that we have seen, but was able to resurrect Beric multiple times and (in the books) and Beric was able to somewhat resurrect the one known in the books as lady Stoneheart.

Same god, vastly different approaches.

Up North(and only north), supernatural powers are also available to folks. Skinchanging/warging, prophetic visions and dreams similar to flame visions, and Bran's personal google search abilities(Show only).

On the WW side, Necromancy, weapons that shatter normal weapons on contact and the ability to disrupt wargs that are scouting.

In the east, we saw limited magic. The warlocks and their illusions with Dany. Bloodmagic to save Khal Drogo. Dany immune to flames. Only death can pay for life was a phrase used both by the blood magic, Dany when she hatched her dragons and Red Priests.

I'm blathering at this point.
But overall, there is proof that characters have some way to make agreements with the others/White walkers (at least a nonaggression pact)and Craster worships some kind of god and had a pact with them. Evil bastard that he is.

Cersei is a stubborn moron, power mad and probably incapable of finding out how to make such a pact, but she would be the sort of person evil enough to give away babies(Maybe even her own, although it would be out of character to sacrifice her own newborn). Qyburn on the other hand would be the sort of sick fuck who could dig up that information through study. He managed to resurrect Gregor into Frankenstein's monster and it was not all by medical means.

I think a deal with Craster had to be made.

Usually a father like that alone in the woods would value his sons, even if only for defense and slave labour.

I don't necessarily think the Wights or Night King came to Craster and said 'leave us your sons and we'll let you live' but rather when he had a son they probably showed up (as it seemed they sensed it) and pointed at the child or something to say 'say bye bye' and from then on he realized how the relationship worked. They need more Wights.

I'd say looking at the pictures posted by @Anung Un Rama that Smaug is clearly a lot bigger than Drogon. Smaug's head is like the size of a minivan. Drogon's head is nowhere near as big.

Based on the angle of her shadow Cersei looks to be about 8 feet from Belarion's skull. I'd say his head looks to be on par with the size of Smaug's head.

I'll have to watch the video later to see what analysis the guy gives. 200 meters would make him almost twice the size of Godzilla who's only 350' tall.
Smaug was cutting height before the photo shoot anyway.

Craster always went on about being a "godly" man. His daughters explained the sons were given as an "offering".

We do not know a lot about the old gods of winter. Hell, we do not know much about the god of fire.

Given how putrid some worshipers of the lord of light have been(Mel), in sacrificing people to her god. At some points we have seen her have Stannis burn men simply for not destroying their previous god idols, while leaving others alone for the same offense. She wanted to burn Gendry despite him being a relatively innocent boy simply because he had "kings blood". At her worst moment, having Stannis burn his own daughter.

Of all characters south of the wall, she has shown the most visible displays of power. Immunity to poison, visions of the future(limited), ability to birth Shadow assassins and some other abilities in the books not touched on in the show(Ability to sense a warg scouting Stannis army when he was attacking Mance Rayder in a bird and set the bird on fire, causing the warg to feel all the pain of burning and go mad and also, the ability to cloak Mance in a glamour so they could burn Rattleshirt instead and she secretly kept Mance Alive), and in the show(We assumed the same would happen in the books the moment we read this though) resurrecting jon Snow. She is a total Malefactor at times with an "end justifies the means" mentality.

By contrast, Thoros of Myr is a red priest, nice guy who fights for justice and in a Robin Hood type outlaw band, significantly less powerful that we have seen, but was able to resurrect Beric multiple times and (in the books) and Beric was able to somewhat resurrect the one known in the books as lady Stoneheart.

Same god, vastly different approaches.

Up North(and only north), supernatural powers are also available to folks. Skinchanging/warging, prophetic visions and dreams similar to flame visions, and Bran's personal google search abilities(Show only).

On the WW side, Necromancy, weapons that shatter normal weapons on contact and the ability to disrupt wargs that are scouting.

In the east, we saw limited magic. The warlocks and their illusions with Dany. Bloodmagic to save Khal Drogo. Dany immune to flames. Only death can pay for life was a phrase used both by the blood magic, Dany when she hatched her dragons and Red Priests.

I'm blathering at this point.
But overall, there is proof that characters have some way to make agreements with the others/White walkers (at least a nonaggression pact)and Craster worships some kind of god and had a pact with them. Evil bastard that he is.

Cersei is a stubborn moron, power mad and probably incapable of finding out how to make such a pact, but she would be the sort of person evil enough to give away babies(Maybe even her own, although it would be out of character to sacrifice her own newborn). Qyburn on the other hand would be the sort of sick fuck who could dig up that information through study. He managed to resurrect Gregor into Frankenstein's monster and it was not all by medical means.

I don't think a deal between Cersei and the Night King is anywhere near possible at this point. Show or books. He kept Craster and his daughters alive because he had to build an army and he was still stuck behind The Wall. The Wall is now down, and he can take soldiers from anywhere he wants. Unless his motives are something more than just killing every living creature on the planet(I suppose they could be, but it would take a lot of story to flesh out so I don't see it happening), I can't see him wanting to spare any one for any reason.

Im rewatching the show, and Im on Season 5 now.
I just re-realized how stupid the Unsullied are. They have always bothered me from the get go. They are supposed to be these super soldiers, but they get murked pretty easily by the Sons of the Harpys.
And most annoying is that there only weapons are spears. Why do they not have swords as well? It makes no sense
A spear is a completely impractical weapon to have while patrolling a city. You can't swing a spear in close quarters, inside, and if you missed a thrust, it'd be fairly easy to counter.
It's also impossible to be an effective weapon on a battlefield for your entire army to have.

One more thing, wasn't Sam sent to The Cidadel to find out info about dragon glass and White walkers?
In a Season 5 episode i just watched, Stannis TELLS Sam that there is dragon glass at Dragon stone.

Im rewatching the show, and Im on Season 5 now.
I just re-realized how stupid the Unsullied are. They have always bothered me from the get go. They are supposed to be these super soldiers, but they get murked pretty easily by the Sons of the Harpys.
And most annoying is that there only weapons are spears. Why do they not have swords as well? It makes no sense
A spear is a completely impractical weapon to have while patrolling a city. You can't swing a spear in close quarters, inside, and if you missed a thrust, it'd be fairly easy to counter.
It's also impossible to be an effective weapon on a battlefield for your entire army to have.
I think most everyone has agreed the show is super inconsistent with the Unsullied as they are portrayed to be like the Spartans, great in formation shoulder to shoulder but ultimately as a solo fighter they might be meh.

Show is super inconsistent with this.

2749764-4639064144-randy.jpg

Every Harpy kill is like 6v1....but The Unsullied still came off weak.

In a Season 5 episode i just watched, Stannis TELLS Sam that there is dragon glass at Dragon stone.
Sam sees a passage about it in a book and literally says "Oh yeah...I FORGOT THAT." Just a super what the fuck?

As far as lazy writing goes, nothing tops -
"Greyscale is terminal. You should kill yourself."
"Ever tried cutting it off?"
"Oh that could work."

You know, there was a lot of bitching about "teleporting" this season and while I will admit Gendry running to the wall, sending a Raven to Dragonstone, and Dany flying NORTH of the wall to get Jon and Co. all in one episode does require a fair amount of suspension of disbelief this show has done this before.

Theon, in Season 3 (part of 2) goes from being at Pyke, to Deepwood Motte then Winterfell in the span of an episode and then from Winterfell to the Dreadfort, around the area near the Dreadfort back TO the Dreadfort all in an episode.

I'll admit it isn't AS LONG of a distance but fuck me.

Every Harpy kill is like 6v1....but The Unsullied still came off weak.

Sam sees a passage about it in a book and literally says "Oh yeah...I FORGOT THAT." Just a super what the fuck?

As far as lazy writing goes, nothing tops -
"Greyscale is terminal. You should kill yourself."
"Ever tried cutting it off?"
"Oh that could work."

Yeah, while the Harpys usually do outnumber the Unsullied, they're also supposed to be rich guys who relied on slaves to do everything for them--and they're fighting in goofy masks and no armor. They shouldn't stand a chance against an Unsullied.
I just can't get over how stupid not having a sword is. Spears break. It's a terrible weapon to have as your sole weapon unless you're Oberon and are in a one on one duel with plenty of open space. And it's a terrible weapon to have against a horde of zombies
I think I would literally bet on almost any other soldier in Westeros to beat an Unsullied in a one on one fight.

Season 5 is really where Dany becomes terrible.
I really don't like how the show portrayed her. She is constantly saying stupid shit, and then everyone around has to tell her 'Khaleesi, noooo, please' before she finally ends up not burning down a city or executing someone. It seems like the show is trying to paint her as a good ruler because she 'listens to wise counsel', but why follow a leader that almost always has such extremely horrible decision making skills?
I also hate her relationship with her dragons. If that's how she treats her 'children', then it's a good thing she was left barren.
She locked up 2 of her dragons because they were too wild. Why is she then encouraging them to EAT people? And how is locking them up in pitch blackness a good idea?
She is an absolute bitch in Season 5 on

I think a deal with Craster had to be made.

Usually a father like that alone in the woods would value his sons, even if only for defense and slave labour.

I don't necessarily think the Wights or Night King came to Craster and said 'leave us your sons and we'll let you live' but rather when he had a son they probably showed up (as it seemed they sensed it) and pointed at the child or something to say 'say bye bye' and from then on he realized how the relationship worked. They need more Wights.

Yeah that would be how I envisioned it and I spose it does potentially add some motivation to the NK beyond just killing everyone although he might well have intended to kill Craster I spose when he'd outlived his usefulness.

Yo....what if Dani or Cersei's baby is the prince that was promised for the Night King?

<TheWire1>

Back