Front Row Brian burying Helwani and other media members

The thing that did it for me was the TRT era. Irrespective of where you stand on it, it was one of the biggest stories in the sport for about three years. Did any MMA media members attempts to become familiar with the endocrinology? Did any of them attempt to cultivate real experts? Did any of them do any real investigative journalism into PED/masking agent use in MMA?

Answer:
no.jpg

All true. Most of these writers are just below B level in every aspect of their profession. It's hilarious, and the truth of the matter is that they spend all of this time bemoaning the UFC when in reality it's they who make the sport look amateurish. I've literally never read an mma article which struck me as either meticulously edited or well conceived or structured.

Is there any story here or just some douchebag shouting random things on Twitter?

I'm certainly curious about what's going on, but if there's no story or article to read, then what the fuck is this about?

I'm too fucking old to get caught up in twitter beefs without any proper information.

Some dude applied to be in Ariel's new MMA Journalists Association. He got a form rejection letter in response citing his unprofessional behavior at MMA events, and taking pics with fighters for nonprofessional purposes. Front Row Brian is ranting at the irony. At this point it's more so amusing than anything else. Ariel vs FRB is a fake beef.

1. Refrain from rooting for or against fighters from press row on fight night.
  2. Do not applaud or heckle promoters, fighters, referees, judges, cornermen, commission members or any relevant event professional.
  3. No collecting autographs while working.
  4. No taking pictures with fighters or event officials for nonprofessional purposes while working.
  5. Your byline must be your real first and last name. Those who work under pseudonyms, gimmick nicknames, or in any way hide their identity will not be admitted to the MMAJA.
  6. Do not wear fighter, fight company or MMA gym apparel while working. Clothing that promotes the media outlet you work for is acceptable, though we strongly suggest professional standards of dress.
  7. Respectfully address a subject while working. Avoid hostility and do not deliberately provoke an interview subject. Such actions in an open working area reflect poorly on the entire group.
  8. No improper behavior on the job with fighters, promoters, any event official or press member.
  9. No working under the influence of drugs or alcohol. No drinking alcohol on press row.
  10. Do not abuse credential privileges, for example, by making copies of your credentials in order to sneak your friends in for free. Conditions often accompany access. Make note of the terms listed by promoters when applying for press access.
  11. Avoid betting on fights you cover.
  12. Avoid paying a subject for a story or interview.
  13. No accepting or soliciting gifts of any kind for favorable press or personal gain.
  14. Steer clear of conflicts of interest, real or perceived. If questions linger regarding whether or not a conflict exists, it’s likely best to avoid the appearance of impropriety.
  15. Crediting information from an original source should be common practice when using that information in your reporting.
  16. Using photos from another outlet without permission or attribution is considered stealing and grounds for dismissal from the association.

https://www.mmaja.com/rules-regulations/

Helwani seems to think he's much more important than he really is.

The only MMA journo I respect:
Chuck_in_Memphis_Hat_II.JPG

I used to respect Shaun al-Shatti too, but then I watched the UFC 189 post-fight show on MMA Fighting.com and saw him literally almost break down and cry in excitement about Conor beating Mendes. Fucking pathetic girl.

Skip ahead to 1.50 and watch for about one minute. Prepare to want to die.

Last edited:
The thing that did it for me was the TRT era. Irrespective of where you stand on it, it was one of the biggest stories in the sport for about three years. Did any MMA media members attempt to become familiar with the endocrinology? Did any of them attempt to cultivate real experts? Did any of them do any real investigative journalism into PED/masking agent use in MMA?

Answer:
no.jpg

To be fair, this very forum used to ban anyone and everyone who even hinted that a fighter might possibly be ingesting PEDs. Just sayin'.

I have highlighted the rules Helwani himself violates.
  1. Refrain from rooting for or against fighters from press row on fight night.
  2. Do not applaud or heckle promoters, fighters, referees, judges, cornermen, commission members or any relevant event professional.
  3. No collecting autographs while working.
  4. No taking pictures with fighters or event officials for nonprofessional purposes while working.
  5. Your byline must be your real first and last name. Those who work under pseudonyms, gimmick nicknames, or in any way hide their identity will not be admitted to the MMAJA.
  6. Do not wear fighter, fight company or MMA gym apparel while working. Clothing that promotes the media outlet you work for is acceptable, though we strongly suggest professional standards of dress.
  7. Respectfully address a subject while working. Avoid hostility and do not deliberately provoke an interview subject. Such actions in an open working area reflect poorly on the entire group.
  8. No improper behavior on the job with fighters, promoters, any event official or press member.
  9. No working under the influence of drugs or alcohol. No drinking alcohol on press row.
  10. Do not abuse credential privileges, for example, by making copies of your credentials in order to sneak your friends in for free. Conditions often accompany access. Make note of the terms listed by promoters when applying for press access.
  11. Avoid betting on fights you cover.
  12. Avoid paying a subject for a story or interview.
  13. No accepting or soliciting gifts of any kind for favorable press or personal gain.
  14. Steer clear of conflicts of interest, real or perceived. If questions linger regarding whether or not a conflict exists, it’s likely best to avoid the appearance of impropriety.
  15. Crediting information from an original source should be common practice when using that information in your reporting.
  16. Using photos from another outlet without permission or attribution is considered stealing and grounds for dismissal from the association.

I used to respect Shaun al-Shatti too, but then I watched the UFC 189 post-fight show on MMA Fighting.com and watch him literally almost break down and cry in excitement about Conor beating Mendes. Fucking pathetic girl.

Skip ahead to 1.50 and watch for about one minute.

Wow. I remember that.

Let's be honest, real and actual journalism has been dead for about 20 years, in every aspect of media. Now the industry's just a bunch of people getting paid to spew opinions that others tell them to.

ariel and marc have become unbearable. dana only made it worse though by giving ariel such a hard time now he spreads fake news about dana to espinoza lol. the last straw for me was all the click-bait racism/misogynist articles during the conor-floyd tour

All true. Most of these writers are just below B level in every aspect of their profession. It's hilarious, and the truth of the matter is that they spend all of this time bemoaning the UFC when in reality it's they who make the sport look amateurish. I've literally never read an mma article which struck me as either meticulously edited or well conceived or structured.

100% true. Go over to MMA Fighting.com or MMA Junkie. The material is terribly edited, full of repetition, packed with inelegant and clunky phrasing, and marred by sloppiness that butchers the English language. Dave Meltzer and Luke Thomas are the biggest embarrassments to the profession when it comes to the written word, but there are many others.

ariel and marc have become unbearable. dana only made it worse though by giving ariel such a hard time now he spreads fake news about dana to espinoza lol. the last straw for me was all the click-bait racism/misogynist articles during the conor-floyd tour

Agreed. Dana is a fucking idiot, but the people he beefs with are equally insufferable.

1. Refrain from rooting for or against fighters from press row on fight night. (Just on fight night?)
  2. Do not applaud or heckle promoters, fighters, referees, judges, cornermen, commission members or any relevant event professional. (Sounds good)
  3. No collecting autographs while working. (I didn't realize journalists have work-hours. I assumed that if you talk to a journalist, they can use your words in a story. Is being an MMA journalist like being a nurse - you only have to work on a duty schedule?
  4. No taking pictures with fighters or event officials for nonprofessional purposes while working. (What are "nonprofessional purposes"?)
  5. Your byline must be your real first and last name. Those who work under pseudonyms, gimmick nicknames, or in any way hide their identity will not be admitted to the MMAJA. (Is this why the Economist doesn't follow MMA?)
  6. Do not wear fighter, fight company or MMA gym apparel while working. Clothing that promotes the media outlet you work for is acceptable, though we strongly suggest professional standards of dress. (You have to state that in writing? Seems like a no-brainier)
  7. Respectfully address a subject while working. Avoid hostility and do not deliberately provoke an interview subject. Such actions in an open working area reflect poorly on the entire group. (No tough questions folks?)
  8. No improper behavior on the job with fighters, promoters, any event official or press member. (define "improper behavior". Does that mean they can't have a beer with Bones? Does that mean they can't go to a Mets game with Matt Serra? Does that mean don't date a fighter?)
  9. No working under the influence of drugs or alcohol. No drinking alcohol on press row. (Seems legit)
  10. Do not abuse credential privileges, for example, by making copies of your credentials in order to sneak your friends in for free. Conditions often accompany access. Make note of the terms listed by promoters when applying for press access. (Is there really precedent for this? I've had press credentials in the past and my press pass had my name on my badge. The guys at the door asked for my badge and my ID to ensure I was the same person.)
  11. Avoid betting on fights you cover. (Why not stop betting on the fights? It will cloud your judgement)
  12. Avoid paying a subject for a story or interview. (again, is there precedence for this?)
  13. No accepting or soliciting gifts of any kind for favorable press or personal gain. (How many current members of the association received money from an MMA organization or a promoter? How many received free tickets to the fights from the promoter? How many received free hotel or free travel expenses from promoters or MMA organisations?)
  14. Steer clear of conflicts of interest, real or perceived. If questions linger regarding whether or not a conflict exists, it’s likely best to avoid the appearance of impropriety. (OK)
  15. Crediting information from an original source should be common practice when using that information in your reporting. (Even when interviewing KenFlo?
  16. Using photos from another outlet without permission or attribution is considered stealing and grounds for dismissal from the association. (Except from WikiCommons)

Mmaja is a money and power grab by slimy tmz poser :eek::eek::eek:s

1. Refrain from rooting for or against fighters from press row on fight night. (Just on fight night?)
  2. Do not applaud or heckle promoters, fighters, referees, judges, cornermen, commission members or any relevant event professional. (Sounds good)
  3. No collecting autographs while working. (I didn't realize journalists have work-hours. I assumed that if you talk to a journalist, they can use your words in a story. Is being an MMA journalist like being a nurse - you only have to work on a duty schedule?
  4. No taking pictures with fighters or event officials for nonprofessional purposes while working. (What are "nonprofessional purposes"?)
  5. Your byline must be your real first and last name. Those who work under pseudonyms, gimmick nicknames, or in any way hide their identity will not be admitted to the MMAJA. (Is this why the Economist doesn't follow MMA?)
  6. Do not wear fighter, fight company or MMA gym apparel while working. Clothing that promotes the media outlet you work for is acceptable, though we strongly suggest professional standards of dress. (You have to state that in writing? Seems like a no-brainier)
  7. Respectfully address a subject while working. Avoid hostility and do not deliberately provoke an interview subject. Such actions in an open working area reflect poorly on the entire group. (No tough questions folks?)
  8. No improper behavior on the job with fighters, promoters, any event official or press member. (define "improper behavior". Does that mean they can't have a beer with Bones? Does that mean they can't go to a Mets game with Matt Serra? Does that mean don't date a fighter?)
  9. No working under the influence of drugs or alcohol. No drinking alcohol on press row. (Seems legit)
  10. Do not abuse credential privileges, for example, by making copies of your credentials in order to sneak your friends in for free. Conditions often accompany access. Make note of the terms listed by promoters when applying for press access. (Is there really precedent for this? I've had press credentials in the past and my press pass had my name on my badge. The guys at the door asked for my badge and my ID to ensure I was the same person.)
  11. Avoid betting on fights you cover. (Why not stop betting on the fights? It will cloud your judgement)
  12. Avoid paying a subject for a story or interview. (again, is there precedence for this?)
  13. No accepting or soliciting gifts of any kind for favorable press or personal gain. (How many current members of the association received money from an MMA organization or a promoter? How many received free tickets to the fights from the promoter? How many received free hotel or free travel expenses from promoters or MMA organisations?)
  14. Steer clear of conflicts of interest, real or perceived. If questions linger regarding whether or not a conflict exists, it’s likely best to avoid the appearance of impropriety. (OK)
  15. Crediting information from an original source should be common practice when using that information in your reporting. (Even when interviewing KenFlo?
  16. Using photos from another outlet without permission or attribution is considered stealing and grounds for dismissal from the association. (Except from WikiCommons)

The frequency with which Helwani alone violates these rules - provoking people with BS questions, being selectively sycophantic or adversarial, popping up in selfies with fighters, etc. etc. - is fucking mindblowing. And he is the Vice President!!!!!

100% true. Go over to MMA Fighting.com or MMA Junkie. The material is terribly edited, full of repetition, packed with inelegant and clunky phrasing, and marred by sloppiness that butchers the English language. Dave Meltzer and Luke Thomas are the biggest embarrassments to the profession when it comes to the written word, but there are many others.

MMA Junkie reads like a bunch of high school girls gossiping at this point.

So do I, so I can't really hold that aspect of his personality against him.

I agree but I think most of us do to some extent. He seems to hold himself in much higher regard than most of us do with ourselves, to the point where it starts to get annoying.

Back